Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so, any one do FIFO in the mining game?

Options
  • 07-11-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

I was wondering if there are any more diggers in the erarth from ireland out here? I have been working in a gold mine for the apst 6 months - it great! Based in perth. Any one else have similar experiences?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Have done a bit on a few Mines out around Cloncury/Mt Isa, wouldnt catch me out there again, tho I have a lot of mates still in the game, forestry is better as the trees give abit of shade - till you chop them all down obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tonka

Hot Dog wrote: »
    I was wondering if there are any more diggers in the erarth from ireland out here? I have been working in a gold mine for the apst 6 months - it great! Based in perth. Any one else have similar experiences?

I worked at Coorjarloo mineral sands mine north of Perth it was a DIDO site. Ive also worked at a gold mine between Meekathara and Newman it was FIFO 2/1. most recently i was working residential in a coal town in qld. being a single bloke residential is a **** arrangement even if the money was better.

at least kalgoorlie has skimpy bars and brothels the town i was at had jack-ity sh#t, it was a 5hr drive to Airlie Beach.

which mine are you at?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Whats FIFO and DIDO?

looks like im headin to perth in the new year. somebody mentioned the mines to me. what are they like? easy to pick up if you've never done it before? what about the gf...is there anything for her to do?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Whats FIFO and DIDO?

looks like im headin to perth in the new year. somebody mentioned the mines to me. what are they like? easy to pick up if you've never done it before? what about the gf...is there anything for her to do?

Fly In Fly Out , Drive In Drive Out. the transport arrangement for rostered workers.normally 2/1 or 8/6 that is 2 weeks on one week off or 8 days on and 6 days off.

you need a Marcsta card a piss easy 2 day course less than 200 bucks. i think they do a drug and alchol test as part of this course

rostered people work days will be 12hours day shift or night shift. all meals accom, cleaning is covered as is the fligths to site from perth. watch though that these are in company time and not your "rostered time off site"

trying to get the pair of you on one site would probably require one of you to have a high in demand skill (like a degree qualified mining engineer) and the other at least useful at something. mine camps need cleaning/maintence/gardening/cooking/medical staff etc. The larger the minesite/camp the better the chance.

remote mine camps usually only have single accomodation

a good camp should have a pub (wet mess) on site, gym, footy/tennis courts, internet, piped DVDs, pool, swimming pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

im heading to Perth soon..Where is the best place to look for Mining jobs???

What courses should i do??

• Advertisement

Marcsta card for Western Australian mines.
    Police clearance if youre going to work on a gold mine.
    Most places require a basic medical possibly with chest X-ray.

for vacancies....
    www.seek.com.au

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Tonka wrote: »
    Marcsta card for Western Australian mines.
    Police clearance if youre going to work on a gold mine.
    Most places require a basic medical possibly with chest X-ray.

for vacancies....
    www.seek.com.au
    thanks..i have registered with Hogan Mining,have you any experiences with them?They reckon they can benefit in getting you work..

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Im on an iron ore mine in the pilbara, the place is full of irish lads.

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    thanks..i have registered with Hogan Mining,have you any experiences with them?They reckon they can benefit in getting you work..

i'd be interested to know if hogan are any use. when i was looking into mining i didnt want to register with anyone after a bad experience i'd had with a recruiter in sydney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 darren19

hey does anybody know a good way to get your foot in the door in the mining game? i have just moved to perth and really want to get into the mines! im an electrician and would like to get in doin that! any info at all would be greatly appreciated! thanks

darren19 wrote: »
    hey does anybody know a good way to get your foot in the door in the mining game? i have just moved to perth and really want to get into the mines! im an electrician and would like to get in doin that! any info at all would be greatly appreciated! thanks

HV an lines work is needed. i recall in 2004 ESB contractors been poached to go out there. I seen some cool helicopter pylon building going on. Theres also massive(compared to ireland) rail projects that are eitehr been buitl or retrofitted with overhead electric supply.

Most these mines are in arse end of nowhere. Theres a gasline down the guts of WA and most the mines site are powered by gas turbines with diesel back ups. New infaustrucure around ports, refinerys, mineral processing plants and Barrow gas field theyd all be needing sparkies.

try Kentz theyre originally an irish company but are now global theyre looking sparkie types in australia www.kentz.com , again try www.seek.com.au search under mine industry.

As a sparkie in the mines youd probably need trade certificates recognised in oz.

Working in coal mines youd need to have worked on intrinsicallly safe stuff.

• Advertisement

Dazzler88 wrote: »

Nah im not to familar with recruitment agents.

im a mining engineer so I get to choose who i work for.

Oh yeah lads, remember theres a saying in australia "new in country , will work for less" thats mainly an asian thing-you probably will have to prove yourselves.

My first job in oz was a hard labouring job for 3 weeks on a minesite,(and i got that that cos so many of the successful apllicants failed the drug and alcohol test) this way i got to meet contacts mostly in the wet mess(most mine camps have a pub) .

do not just wait for a job to turn up exactly matching what you did in Ireland.

I seen plenty of people go to australia btch, moan and groan that they can't get a job spend all their money, then go back to ireland. because they couldnt except a step down or adapt to change or work/life balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chrisyh

Hey Lads,
    I am heading to OZ before Christmas & trying to organize a start on a WA mine
    I am a civil engineer with 4 yrs experience,
    I have registered with agencies and starting to make a few contacts..
    Will do anything to get in - well used of 12 hr shifts here

Is the money still as good as it was a few years ago and is this government tax due next year going to f**k things up?

Also am I fooling myself thinking ill get an engineering job with a WHV. could be two years waiting for a skilled migrant visa, if i even get one..

Any info appreciated, cheers

Advertisement