Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vans, fuel cards etc

Options
  • 07-11-2008 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Because I'm the resident car nut, the boss asked me to suss out fuel cards for our fleet of 12+ vans. We currently use a local truck oil depot.

I know nothing about such things and I need to find iof there is a saving to be made and generally how well the fuel card system would work for the lads on the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We're finding in work that the fuel cards are saving miniscule amounts - nothing for the east coast based lads and a few % for the regional ones. The main advantage is in admin costs, no refunding staff expenses for fuel claims and one pre-arranged payment date per month. This is on diesel solely.

I have a personal card for petrol and it works out the same - fuel is 3-4c/litre cheaper than rural rates but no cheaper than what you get around Dublin and anywhere else traditionalyl cheap (Sligo, Urlingford, bits of Cork from my experience). But it ensures my entire fuel bill is paid in one go and gives me up to 5 weeks interest free on that cash (where it gets to stay in my interest paying current account!).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Every driver gets a card that s/he uses to fuel up the car.
    The card is only for fuel (usually) and expenses can then be monitored by your manager.

If you have the numbers for your current fleet consumption you can work it out with the supplier of the card.

www.dcicard.ie
    www.texacofuelcard.ie
    www.statoilcard.ie
    www.topazenergy.ie/en/business/fuel-cards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

cantdecide wrote: »
    Because I'm the resident car nut, the boss asked me to suss out fuel cards for our fleet of 12+ vans. We currently use a local truck oil depot.

I know nothing about such things and I need to find iof there is a saving to be made and generally how well the fuel card system would work for the lads on the road.

If it's nationwide coverage you need, there is only one real choice - Topaz. No one else has the branch network required.

Cost savings would be minimal, but as mentioned before, the drop in total admin should make it worthwhile.

If you only ever use the one place for fuel, try to negotiate a discount off their pump price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Don't need nationwide coverage. Our friendly local filling station is absolutely fine and there isn't massive admin involved. The drivers are trusted and they're allowed the use of the van at the weekend (within reason). It comes down to price only. Thanks all...

Advertisement