Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Files Question

Options
  • 07-11-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

Okay, so here's the situation:
    Currently my home net connection has no download cap and i've not had to worry about checking my downloads/uploads every week to make sure i'm over some low ass cap, however this weekend ill be moving home and the connection there does have a cap on it, there are 5 other lads in the house that have steam also.

I'm going to take Left 4 Dead as an example for this since at least 3 of the lads in the house and myself will be getting it on release, now the game is like 12 gigs and having all 4 of us download it is going to put us over the connections cap, if I was to get the game on release day and then copy the relevant folder to their steam folders would steam detect the game files and not try and download them again on any of the computers where said steam files were moved too? :pac:

Any guidance or help in this would be fantastic! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Yeah, so long as they've actually bought the game it'll work.

You can do what you've said (copy the folder) or just create a backup disc and use that to install the games on the other machines.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The main files it looks for a .gcf files (they are the big ones). I think you could just copy them into your gcf folder in steamapps, and steam should pick them up automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Excellent thanks lads, will save us going over the download cap this month. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Easiest way is prob to install it on one Steam, create a backup to a usb key using the Steam utility with gives you a clickable installer, this way it'll definitelty work as long as they all have paid for it and its shown as not installed in their Steam. When they purchase it get them to click not to install it straight away so its listed as not installed.

Advertisement