Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Assessors-normal procedure

Options
  • 07-11-2008 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi folks,

Could anybody explain to me what the normal procedure is when an assessor calls out to inspect damage done to your car. Will they want to see the scene of where the accident occured?

All experiences appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They just look at the car, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jimbo19162

ya they just check car and then get ya to get a quote for the damage and then start negotiatin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Hi folks,

Could anybody explain to me what the normal procedure is when an assessor calls out to inspect damage done to your car. Will they want to see the scene of where the accident occured?

No, they will inspect the damage to the car. they will also go to the other car and inspect his/her damage too.
    They are not there to find out who is in the right or the wrong in the accident, but to access the damage to your car for the purposes of teh insurance company. Nothing more.
    Yhe insurance company want to make sure it isn't a wright off or is able to back on the road and also to make sure the quotation from the garage for the repair is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi folks,

Make sure you push for 10 to 15 % of the total repair cost from the insurance company as extra to cover for devaluation because of the damage to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Make sure you push for 10 to 15 % of the total repair cost from the insurance company as extra to cover for devaluation because of the damage to the car

Remember my father talking about that alright and was wondering if that is actually common practice and if so how many people have got it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rodden-live

Why would the assessor want to see the location where the accident took place if they are not there to establish who is in the right or wrong? My assessor wants to see the place where the accident occured. Is this normal?

When you give your quote for repairs to them do you tell them you want 10/15% on top of that or do you put it in writing?

Sorry for all the questions, it is my first time dealing with something like this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Why would the assessor want to see the location where the accident took place if they are not there to establish who is in the right or wrong? My assessor wants to see the place where the accident occured. Is this normal?

When you give your quote for repairs to them do you tell them you want 10/15% on top of that or do you put it in writing?

Sorry for all the questions, it is my first time dealing with something like this.

It did happen whern a numpty t-boned the wife's car on a junction. he didn't seem to think red lights applied to him, and tried to say she was in the wrong. Assessor came out, checked the signal timing changes etc and went back and declared the twat 100% wrong.

Yes apparently it is normal practice to get a cheque for 10-20% of the repair value against depreciation, but its not a lot when you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

They look at car..

but in my case i insisted they look at the scene of the accident. I was hit by a truck with a 40ft trailer on a back road. The road was'nt wide enough and he drove over me basically. Upon meeting the assessor she stated it would be 50/50 after looking at the road and showing that it bottle necked on his side she awarded me full repairs and compensation. She agreed he was too big to be travelling on that road.

If you feel they need to see the accident site then do so or you'll live to regret not doing so..

I showed photos of a 12ft skid a a break in the skid mark (when he was on top of my car) over to my side and then it bent back to his side. its showed that he skidded hit the bank and then was pushed over my side and onto my car and then off again.

So with the scene / the photo's and my clear wording of NO acceptance of liability and willing to go to court it paid off. I also got a payment for the loss of value to the car after repair i.e it's a crashed car and therefore devalued.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

A motor assessor has nothing to do with liability . His job is to assess the damage to the car and come back with a figure .

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

did you get an estimate from a garage yet? ?

• Advertisement

Barr wrote: »
    A motor assessor has nothing to do with liability . His job is to assess the damage to the car and come back with a figure .

And is it still normal for them to want want to see where it happened? I don't understand why he doesn't want o just see the damage that has been caused to my car. I don't think him seeing where it happened will give him any more information.
    shaywest wrote: »
    did you get an estimate from a garage yet? ?

Yes I did. That's another thing. Can I insist on a panel being replaced or not? Also I can insist on the work being carried out in a garage of my choice cant I?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yes I did. That's another thing. Can I insist on a panel being replaced or not? Also I can insist on the work being carried out in a garage of my choice cant I?
    The assessor will arrive at an estimate of the current value of the car, the cost of repairs, etc. You will then be offered a figure to either scrap or fix the car (depending on the two values).
    To have it fixed, you are entitled to have it done in whatever manner as long as it doesn't exceed the repair figure they have offered you (you can get it fixed wherever you want). However, the repair figure they offer may not be sufficient to have various panels replaced - it really depends on the assessors figure.
    My car was written off last April. The assessor who looked at it (in June) decided that because it had no NCT when he was looking at it (it expired at the end of April), the car would be worth 25% less. For me to appeal that would involve me getting an independent assessor out (€300-500).
    In the end I got a cheque off Quinn and got the work done privately and it was very well done.

the assesor will decide if panels will be replaced or not from my experience they wil replace any thing except very minor damage.yes ,you can choose where the car is repaired .also if it is a third party claim ie,someone hit you and they are paying ,and its not you claiming from your comprensive for something you did yourself.
    they have to pay 'you' and not the garage
    when its settled and you get your cheque (about two weeks) go back to the garage and ask for a better deal for cash they will have slapped on a few quid to cover this anyway

kbannon wrote: »
    The assessor will arrive at an estimate of the current value of the car, the cost of repairs, etc. You will then be offered a figure to either scrap or fix the car (depending on the two values).

I have already received an estimate for the panel to be beaten. This is from the garage (a main dealer) that I bought the car from and who service it for me. I know things get dearer when you go to main dealers so will the assessor take this into account? All I want is for the car to repaired by my garage, I am not interested in going anywhere else.

If the assessor wont meet with how much my estimate for the repairs are, do I have no option but just to take what they'll give me and make up the shortfall myself? The garage I use is convenient for me work wise and I've already had enough trouble after this person hitting my car, I could do without having to inconvenience myself further!
    the assesor will decide if panels will be replaced or not from my experience they wil replace any thing except very minor damage.yes ,you can choose where the car is repaired .also if it is a third party claim ie,someone hit you and they are paying ,and its not you claiming from your comprensive for something you did yourself.
    they have to pay 'you' and not the garage
    when its settled and you get your cheque (about two weeks) go back to the garage and ask for a better deal for cash they will have slapped on a few quid to cover this anyway

I spoke to my garage and they told me I could get it beaten or replaced. I am happy to just get it panel beaten but as I said above its a main dealer and am worried they wont cover it all.

I don't drive a terribly expensive car but I look after and take of it all the same.

Sorry for all the questions, I know I'm probably boring you all!

don't worry too much unless you are really piling it on he won't knock anything off.
    whatever happens you are due 'all' of the repair costs if they won't pay up send them a solicitors letter telling them you are prepared to take them to court for the balance//plus costs
    this will soften their cough

don't worry too much unless you are really piling it on he won't knock anything off.
    whatever happens you are due 'all' of the repair costs if they won't pay up send them a solicitors letter telling them you are prepared to take them to court for the balance//plus costs
    this will soften their cough

That's fine then, the garage asked me do I want a new part or it panel beaten telling me obviously the new part is the dearer option. All I want is it looking like it used to so I'm happy with the panel beating option.

Thanks for all your help, really has put my mind at ease.

And is it still normal for them to want want to see where it happened? I don't understand why he doesn't want o just see the damage that has been caused to my car. I don't think him seeing where it happened will give him any more information.

Its the claims adjuster that goes on site where the accident happened if liability is in issue . The assessor would'nt be able to make that call

I have already received an estimate for the panel to be beaten. This is from the garage (a main dealer) that I bought the car from and who service it for me. I know things get dearer when you go to main dealers so will the assessor take this into account? All I want is for the car to repaired by my garage, I am not interested in going anywhere else.

If the assessor wont meet with how much my estimate for the repairs are, do I have no option but just to take what they'll give me and make up the shortfall myself? The garage I use is convenient for me work wise and I've already had enough trouble after this person hitting my car, I could do without having to inconvenience myself further!

I spoke to my garage and they told me I could get it beaten or replaced. I am happy to just get it panel beaten but as I said above its a main dealer and am worried they wont cover it all.

I don't drive a terribly expensive car but I look after and take of it all the same.

FYI most dealers (main or otherwise) do not do panel beating - they outsource it to a dedicated panel beater, e.g. Frank Keane BMW outsource to Dennings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I would think that the person that the OP is referring to is a Claims Adjuster or assesser, nothing to do with vehicle values or damage/repair estimates, though he will argue the value of the vehicle. In my experience they do like to have a look at the scene of the incident.

Its the claims adjuster that goes on site where the accident happened if liability is in issue . The assessor would'nt be able to make that call

It must be the claim adjuster I am dealing with then, they haven't made it clear to me.

Will the claims adjuster speak to any witnesses of the accident? I would have thought that once they spoke to witnesses that confirmed what happened and that the other party admitted liability that would be it?

I suppose I am a bit cautious because I am dealing with an insurance known for being difficult to deal with!

• Advertisement

It must be the claim adjuster I am dealing with then, they haven't made it clear to me.

Will the claims adjuster speak to any witnesses of the accident? I would have thought that once they spoke to witnesses that confirmed what happened and that the other party admitted liability that would be it?

I suppose I am a bit cautious because I am dealing with an insurance known for being difficult to deal with!

They only normally visit the scene , interview witnesses etc to establish liability . If they are comming out I'm guessing the third party may not be accepting full liabity after all ?

They only normally visit the scene , interview witnesses etc to establish liability . If they are comming out I'm guessing the third party may not be accepting full liabity after all ?

When it happened they accepted liability and there are two witnesses to this! Overnight they seem to have changed their mind and are denying that they ever hit my car. Why can't certain people just admit when they're in the wrong?!

Damage isn't major but there is a dent in my bumper, and I'd like it to be fixed! I don't even want a new bumper, I'm happy for it to be beaten.

I presume the fact there are witnesses and they were there when they admitted liability means it'll be pretty straightforward or am I wrong? Could really do without all this hassle as work is hectic at the moment!

When it happened they accepted liability and there are two witnesses to this! Overnight they seem to have changed their mind and are denying that they ever hit my car. Why can't certain people just admit when they're in the wrong?!

Damage isn't major but there is a dent in my bumper, and I'd like it to be fixed! I don't even want a new bumper, I'm happy for it to be beaten.

I presume the fact there are witnesses and they were there when they admitted liability means it'll be pretty straightforward or am I wrong? Could really do without all this hassle as work is hectic at the moment!
    Admitting liability at the scene is discouraged by the insurance companys. Somebody involved in an RTA is not often of the frame of mind to be admitting anything and whatever they say at the scene is not relaible regardless of the number of witnesses who hear them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

my problems only started when i left the car to the main dealer.. they siad 4 days and after they destroyed it by doing an absolutely shockingly bad job on it they ended up having to redo it all over again which took 2 weeks.. and 5 visits to the garage. The first time they gave it back without the alarm not working and the drivers door would'nt open from the inside.. What baffled me was why they did'nt check this and how they got out of it?

Anyway my advice is go to a garage you know and trust. I will never set foot in a main dealers again..

Admitting liability at the scene means nothing to be honest. If you have witnesses ( independent ) backing up your version of events then the insurance company has no option but to pay - In fairness if you have damage this is physical evidence ... so the third party cannot just say there was no impact !

stifz wrote: »
    Anyway my advice is go to a garage you know and trust. I will never set foot in a main dealers again..

Thanks, I've always dealt with this garage and trust them.
    Admitting liability at the scene means nothing to be honest. If you have witnesses ( independent ) backing up your version of events then the insurance company has no option but to pay - In fairness if you have damage this is physical evidence ... so the third party cannot just say there was no impact !

Well the third part are now saying they never hit me, despite the fact that I have a nice dent in my bumper!! I'm just hoping it will all be dealt with once the adjuster comes out, sees the dent and speaks to the witnesses. I'm beginning to think it won't be this easy though!!!

As I said before this is hassle I could really do without and is very straightforward if the other party just accepted they were in the wrong!

Thanks, I've always dealt with this garage and trust them.

Well the third part are now saying they never hit me, despite the fact that I have a nice dent in my bumper!! I'm just hoping it will all be dealt with once the adjuster comes out, sees the dent and speaks to the witnesses. I'm beginning to think it won't be this easy though!!!

As I said before this is hassle I could really do without and is very straightforward if the other party just accepted they were in the wrong!

Some people have some neck ! if there was an impact they should just admit it .It will be more expensive for them in the long run as they will have to incur assessors/adjuster fees etc on their policy.

Some people have some neck ! if there was an impact they should just admit it .It will be more expensive for them in the long run as they will have to incur assessors/adjuster fees etc on their policy.

I really don't think they give a damn. And the claim is only a few hundred euro so may not even affect their NCB. It just really annoys me that people think they can get away with causing damage to other peoples cars! I know the dent is only small and the car isn't an expensive brand but it's still my pride and joy!

Advertisement