Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout with one exit a cul-de-sac

Options
  • 07-11-2008 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All. Can someone clarify this situation for me? An ADI told me that an exit off a roundabout which is a cul-de-sac in an estate is not considered an exit - to clarify, driving towards a roundabout with 4 exits, a road to the left, cul-de-sac straight on and a road to the right, the ADI said the road to the right was the second exit as the cul-de-sac should be ignored, despite the fact that the arrows on the road showed left and straight on on the left lane and right on the right lane. Is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm a bit unsure of the problem you're having. Just treat it as a regular roundabout as far as road position. Which would be the same as the roundabout markings above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Im not sure but I cant see how that would be an issue anyway.

Even on the test, if thats what you're worried about, they acknowledge where they want you to go, and which exit it is, say, for example, now, I want you to turn left at this cul de sac, thats the second exit. So you are not going to get it wrong.

Even if you do get the turn wrong in the test, so long as your driving is fine, you wont be failed for taking a wrong turn. A friend took a right turn when asked to take a left. Its not a hearing test after all.

But to answer the OP, I'm not sure, Im trying to think of a similar situation. Oh Ive got one!! Yeah Id say its an exit. Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

By definition, all exits on a roundabout have equal priority to the roundabout itself.

In any case, road markings always override the "general rules" of roundabouts, where they're provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Whether it goes into a cul de sac or not, it is still a valid exit and should be treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mtp

Thanks all, yes that is what I said it was still a valid exit off the roundabout. The problem is the ADI said take the second exit so I, intending to take the second exit to go straight on, was in the wrong lane with incorrect indication for the instruction given so was given two grade 2 faults!! Thankfully it was only a lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

mtp wrote: »
    intending to take the second exit to go straight on, was in the wrong lane with incorrect indication for the instruction given so was given two grade 2 faults!!

If you were in the correct lane (i.e. left lane) and gave the correct signals - no signal on approach, signal left as you pass first exit - for taking the 2nd exit as you understood it (i.e. the cul-de-sac) then I dont think you would have received any driving faults if it had actually been a test!

If on the test you take a wrong turn you will be brought back onto the intended route asap but you will not necessarily be marked for it if your driving is still up to scratch. That being said you wouldnt want to make more than one wrong turn in a test or the tester will think you are avoiding turning left or right as the case may be!

Maybe the ADI was just being 'hard' in the pre-test!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

mtp wrote: »
    Thanks all, yes that is what I said it was still a valid exit off the roundabout. The problem is the ADI said take the second exit so I, intending to take the second exit to go straight on, was in the wrong lane with incorrect indication for the instruction given so was given two grade 2 faults!! Thankfully it was only a lesson.

So., your instructor gave you a fault for his incompetence. Hope you did not pay for this pre-test.

The test examiner (the real genuine article) MUST give clear directions, in particular roundabouts.. As far as the examiner is concerned you have NEVER negotiated the route before, therefore he must make his instructions crystal clear. (If not, you simply ask).

Telling you on approach to a roundabout to take the 2nd exit is insufficient information. Roundabouts can have an infinite number of exits at various points of the compass so he must specify whither it is left, right or straight ahead.

In your case, if you had never been on that roundabout before how would you know that one was a cul-de-sac. ????

I do not believe in these so called pre-tests. Get a proper lesson where the instructor actually instructs. Not make total inconsequential marks on a piece of paper

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1 J_R. The examiner must be as clear as possible when giving directions. If you're unsure you may ask again. The test isn't there to trick you, saying that technically, an exit isn't considered an exit, is a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭driverite

Even on the test, if thats what you're worried about, they acknowledge where they want you to go, and which exit it is, say, for example, now, I want you to turn left at this cul de sac, thats the second exit. So you are not going to get it wrong.

A tester will never ever refer to a cul de sac in there directions Because they wont tell you what is coming up on your test. They will always say at the next junction turn left or right. They cannot refer to road markings, Traffic lights, pedestrian crossings or road signs, for example he will never say "at the stop sign turn left", As a Tester you cannot even refer to a colour of a car for example "pull in and stop after the blue car". You must instruct "pull in and stop after the 3rd car on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is a roundabout near me where one exit is a private entrance to a farmyard. I would still treat it as an exit but most drivers don't. It's the 1st exit (when I'm returning home) but most drivers in front of me indicate before entering the roundabout and then take the 2nd exit (which presumably, they consider to be the 1st).

There is another roundabout over near Baldoyle where one of the exits is a private entrance to a house.

• Advertisement

Yep There is a roundabout on the wicklow route, the first exit is in to an underground carpark for xtravision. The easiest thing to say, if there is an exit off the roundabout( private or cul de sac) and cars can enter or exit it you treat as an exit.

Just thinking there is a roundabout in tyrellstown route 3 and you take the 5th exit or the 6th exit the road to the right( havent been up that way in a while buts its on the way back to the hotel at the end of the test) one of the exits is into a factory

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have a vague recollection that the Firgrove Hotel in Mitchelstown (Co Cork) has it's entrance off a roundabout.

Well lets get back to the point, get your money back from your adi, when you pay top dollar, you should expect to be told the correct information

Advertisement