Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Des Cahill on Rugby

• 07-11-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

i've always found his 'sports' reports to consist of 95% GAA but he really took the biscuit last night on drivetime saying Ireland's match against Canada is the first game of rugby in the new thomand park!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I was at a VIP thing at the last Six Nations game in Lansdowne Road. He was MC for the event, I was dreading what he'd be like as I'm not a fan at all, but he was actually ok.

He seemed to know his stuff when it came to the game and to the players he spoke to etc.

But the comment you mention above is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Des Cahill is an absolute buffoon IMO. What on earth he is still doing presenting radio God knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

bamboozle wrote: »
    i've always found his 'sports' reports to consist of 95% GAA but he really took the biscuit last night on drivetime saying Ireland's match against Canada is the first game of rugby in the new thomand park!!!!

I would imagine that he meant to say first Irealnd game or first international, just a slip of the tounge really

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

If anyone in RTE needed their adenoids removed he does. He sounds like he has a clothes peg over his nose. Licence-payers money should be set aside for his op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I just think RTE sports news is terrible, if des cahill is reading it it will be 95% GAA, if Colm Murray is doing it, it will ALWAYS start off with horse racing!

In saying all that i do really miss RTE's excellent Heiniken Cup coverage, the worse a game was meant the more exciting the half time analysis would be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Colm Murray

The man is big into his racing alright, owns a bunch of horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

DC : Des Cahill here and, and tonight we're talkin to Anthony Foley, former Ireland and Muster No8. Welcome Anthony.
    AF : Good evening Des.
    DC : Now Anthony, or Alexis, as your rugby pals call you. Can I call you Alexis?
    AF : Id prefer you didnt.
    DC : HaHa, Alexis, what a character. Anyway, you're from Limerick. Do you often regret not hurling for your county?
    AF : Not really.
    DC : Ah come on, its what every limerick man dreams of as a child. You're some athlete though. You could have pulled on the green, maybe even won an Allstar.
    AF : Well I did pull on the green jersey allright, playing over fifty times for Ireland.
    DC : You never got to play a compromise rules series though did you?
    AF : No, thank God.
    DC : What ??? Anyway, you must have known a lot of great GAA charaters though growing up in Limerick. Tell us about a few.
    AF : I dont really. I was more into rugby.
    DC : Ah come on, did you not spend endless days at Na Fianna, kicking a ball around, or pucking one until it was dark, pretending it was really Croke Park on all ireland final day. You must have fantasised about lifting the Liam McCarthy Cup in the Cusack stand. I know I do several times every day.
    AF : No, I did lift the Heineken Cup in the Millenium stadium though, I could tell you about that....
    DC : I bet you lifted a fair few cups of Heineken in your time alright. Sure, rugby tours and all that. Wales that reminds me. You must have known Mossy Curtin, played with Sarsfields seconds in the sixties. He emigrated to Cardiff. Did you know that?
    AF : No
    DC : Ah you must. The left half forward? Brother Johnny played as well. From John's Street. Real GAA family.
    AF : Goodnight Des.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Woofer

Anthony Foley is from Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

AF : Oh, and Des, what I really wanted to do was play camogie for Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

He's an idiot like most RTE presenters and just as clueless and patronising as them too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement