Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satelite Broadband Providers

Options
  • 07-11-2008 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Ok we currently have 3g broadband in the gaff, which is pretty much non existence as in i have to walk away from the computer for a few minutes before a page comes back (same speed as dial up pretty much). This is probably largely because the house is in a rural location surrounded by deep forrests.

Ive being on to eircom and they have no intention in coming out my way for anytime in the near future.

Anyway it looks like my only choice left is to go for satelite BB. Could someone direct me towards some information about staelite BB, is it worth it etc and maybe some provider's around the the midlands area.

I currently have a sky dish, is there any truth that sky are going to be providing BB within ireland along with digital TV.

Thanks
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

What county are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Check out Digiwebs website. http://www.digiweb.ie/home/satellite/ Prices between the different satellite providers are similar. The cheapest option is satellite download and phoneline upload. If you want sat up/down, the equipment is fairly expensive. About 1000 euro +vat. Speeds on the basic sat up/down is 512 k.
    Anything that uses your regular sky dish will need the phoneline for upload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Whereabouts are you? Where is you nearest telephone exchange? the line checker on http://smarttelecom.ie/ will tell you if you are not sure! Also where is your nearest Broadband town or village either through ADSL, Wireless or Cable, if you really want it you could send it wirelessly from a nearby location. Avoid satellite at all costs it is not Broadband and will never be and in the long term will cost you more than nearly all other solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you? Where is you nearest telephone exchange? the line checker on http://smarttelecom.ie/ will tell you if you are not sure! Also where is your nearest Broadband town or village either through ADSL, Wireless or Cable, if you really want it you could send it wirelessly from a nearby location. Avoid satellite at all costs it is not Broadband and will never be and in the long term will cost you more than nearly all other solutions.

We appreciate your help but "avoid satellite" ? What if there is no capable line to take broadband. ? i.e; Eircon's usual bull about upgrading lines to DSL in 'the near future' which future never arrives. Then the only thing left is Satellite. !
    It may not be the best, in fact it might be horrible BUT it is at least an internet connection. !

Advertisement