Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro Price Increases - Let Digiweb Know Your Thoughts!

• 07-11-2008 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Digiweb have just increased the cost for their Metro broadband and have tried to hide this with a re-giging their service offerings.

I am very annoyed about this... more annoyed about its presentation that the actual cost! Below is an email that I have just sent to them - feel free to copy & amend and send to off to Digiweb... 'customercare-at-digiweb.ie'

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hello,

Please pass this email up the managers responsible for the decision to increase the cost of my home broadband.

Firstly, I have never had a problem with your service, it is very good. I have recommended it to lots of people but won’t be any longer.

I have just received a email from Digiweb telling me “great news you broadband speed has been increased”. The ‘small print’ of this email informs me that I will be paying an extra five euro per month for this privilege.

I’ve had a look at your site http://www.digiweb.ie/home/metro/ and I have notice that you have restructured your metro packages. I note that you have increased the speed & PRICES (+€5) of the ‘Home Metro’ service to €40 p.m. The ‘Metro Value’ service is now costing 35 euro p.m, BUT it now has SLOWER speeds (5mb down) than my old ‘Metro Home’ for the same price.

This is nothing but a price increase cynically presented as a ‘Good News’.

Please inform the marketing genius that came up with this cynical scheme that they have soured the previous good will I had had for Digiweb…. they may have lost Digiweb a customer.

Please inform me whether or not these price increases are going to be applied to my account? Account Number: xxxxxxxxx

If these price increased are applied to my account I shall be cancelling my service! €30/€40 p.m buys a lot more here: http://www.upc.ie/internet/prices/

Name

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I wish they'd put their caps up aswell as their prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

That seems kind of stupid. The speed of the service is fine, its the cap that is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I received the same email. It has indeed gone very pricy and that email is condescending.

I've been with them since day 1 for years and they are no longer competitive and now i will seriously think of jumping to another provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I have already sent my email to their customer service people. I was on the 34.95 per month package, but I paid in advance.

There is a still 34.95 package available, but it has a 20GB cap and is 5MB.

I am guessing that I will be allowed switch to this package. So essentially, they have decreased my monthly allowance by 10GB and decreased my broadband speed by 1MB, but my price has remained the same. How is that "great news"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

cheeky fcukers. just got the email and was fuming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

< <

> >

Waiting for Watty to show up!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

< <

> >

Waiting for Watty to show up!!!! :)

What has this got to do with Watty? He is just a technical guy.

Who regularly tows the company line, anyways it was in jest so chill

MC

Exactly this is most likely the uber intelligent marketing departments idea. :rolleyes:

Especially if Digiweb are run anything like where I work.

Not being able to work out what customers want and increasing speeds but not caps along with prices to try to make more money off less customers instead of giving customers what they actually want.

Probably didn't even contact the technical department except to tell them to change peoples speeds.

I don't know why they just didn't give people higher caps which is what people want. Do they think most people can't work out the caps but everyone understands the speed? Do they really think their customers are that stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Just in case you haven't seen the email... hear you go.

I would really like someone from Digiweb to come here and EXPLAIN HOW this is
    "Great News"......

"Christmas has come early"
    well really !!!!

35x12=420. I give Digiweb 420 euro per year, they can kiss this goodbye if they apply these changes to my account!

They really have a poor opinion of their customers :mad:

home2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

I got this mail as well when I came home and came onto the boards with the express intention of starting a thread to say how annoyed I am at this mail but thankfully I'm not alone.
    What gets me so much is that I have been paying the extra 5.99 a month for the extra 10gb so was already paying nearly 40 euro and because I have had good speeds and service was willing to pay a little more than the competition ans stay with them. This takes the biscuit and there is no way I'm paying 45 euro a month now. I have always thought their cap was pretty stingy and seems to have remained unchnaged for over 2 years for my metro package.

And yes, I do take on board the argument that some networks who allow unlimited downloads can be congested and bad service for their customers (I worked in tech support for a popular cable company for 3 years so I know what goes on) but there has to be a happy medium. If the cap was say 40 or 50gb a month for 35 to 40 Euro would that really congest their sytem that much? I doubt it.

I've already decided to ring ntl/UPC and see about the change. I got a leaflet in the door this week and they look better value. 2 of my firends live in the area and say they have no problems this past year and their connection and tv is always ok. True they are a bugger to contact if anything breaks down but if it happens once in a blue moon I guess it's worth chancing.

I have no phone line so any other options availble apart from ntl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I wonder if Digiweb are trying to match Eircoms phone & broadband bundle. Both are beginning to look similar with digiweb being a few euro cheaper compared to Eircoms bundle packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Wonder how contention[*] will be affected. One of the good things about Metro was that its contention was reasonably low (despite the quoted ratios). Maybe the increased price will go towards increased backhaul to minimalise contention? Hmmm.

[*]I mean actual contention, not the makey-up contention excuse support will try and pawn off you for a clearly broken link.

Date|Down|Up|Cap|Contract|Contention|Install|Monthly|Notes
    2005-09|3|512K|30|6m|40:1|112.36|42.35|No Metro Lite
    2006-06|1|256K|10|12m|40:1|0|19.95|Introduction of Metro Lite (but bang for buck, this is actually an increase in price! You'd expect a third of the download, a half of the upload and a third of the cap to cost less than a third, but it doesn't. The free installation was a promotion, just.). Cap goes down, minmum contract goes up.
    2007-02|1|256K|10|12m|40:1|89.66|19.95|Free install promo has ended
    2007-08|1|128K|10|12m||99|24.95|All packages got 12m contract (was just Metro Lite). Reference to contention dropped (you have to call them to find out what it is). Upload speed halved, price gone up. A big lose-lose.
    2007-12|1|128K|10|12m||99|24.95|Now requires annual pre-payment (used be you got installation free if annually prepaid, but monthly payment was possible)
    2008-11|5|512K|20|12m||99|34.95|Another hefty price increase (~40%). Speeds have gone way up (including upload speed which beats DSL for most), but given the competition, especially cable and ADSL2+ I don't see this price increase worth the gain.

Take it from the angle of caps, because that is, after all, what you are paying for. The caps, we've heard argue, are plenty for most users. Whether that's still the case with streaming video/music, I'm not sure, but the cap is where the real cost is. Speed is just how quickly you can reach that cap. Yes speed has benefit/value, but ultimately it's the cap that is the cost.

Going by that, Digiweb have managed to increase the cost to the customer for it's basic Metro product offering since the introduction of Metro.

Put it in another context, the basic Metro package is now marginally better than what it was 3 years ago (same upload, faster download, but smaller cap). There's not many basic broadband packages you can say that about (including some 'monopoly' small WISPs).

Now you can argue that it's all about speed, and twist the figures around, but in my experience once it's 1-2Mb and reasonably un-contended most won't notice the difference. It's the streaming / file-sharing (however legal) that uses up the cap and that, I think, is an important measure for basic "beginner" broadband.

Having said all that, I am a Metro customer (not a happy one) because it is by far the best broadband offering where I live (in terms of speed and price, anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

cgarvey wrote: »
    Wonder how contention[*] will be affected. One of the good things about Metro was that its contention was reasonably low (despite the quoted ratios). Maybe the increased price will go towards increased backhaul to minimalise contention?

I'm incredibly unhappy with my Metro Xtra connection - I'm being hit *very* hard by contention in the evening, making my speeds drop to near enough to 56k dialup for me to want to cry if I feel the need to load a webpage after 4pm. Unfortunately I've no leg to stand on, and have no physical phone line in the house, so I can't move to another provider.

Digiweb is no longer the cream of the crop, and I haven't recommended it to friends in about 8 months :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

zoro wrote: »
    I'm incredibly unhappy with my Metro Xtra connection - I'm being hit *very* hard by contention in the evening, making my speeds drop to near enough to 56k dialup for me to want to cry if I feel the need to load a webpage after 4pm. Unfortunately I've no leg to stand on, and have no physical phone line in the house, so I can't move to another provider.

Digiweb is no longer the cream of the crop, and I haven't recommended it to friends in about 8 months :(
    Yeah i know how you feel with the "contention cr@p" i get speeds between 100-1500kbps in the evening/night.It even goes bad some days from lunchtime.
    I'm on metro 6meg package.I also have no phoneline but NTlL will be available where i am hopefully before xmas so Digiweb can go fcuk themselves.
    My speeds have been upped already.THE ONLY way i know this is because me upload has gone up.I'm only gettin 4 meg down atm and its only 10.30am!
    As for the pings(including speeds) they used to be great up until about 6-8 weeks ago.Now my ping to a uk server i run goes from 30ms average to 100ms+ average as the day goes on.
    The "Rolling" cap is a joke.I understand the reason for the cap BUT my service cant get much worse for me so the cap obviously doesn't help me.
    The should at least raise it to 40-50gig with the new increase in speeds.I noticed the top package (12meg down) has had the cap dropped from 60 to 50gigs.
    WTF Digiweb are you on drugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

i was so ennoyed when i got that email.thinking about going to NTL.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I'd say there is going to be alot of us going to NTL because of this especially due to most metro customers not having a phoneline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Be sure to pop off an email to let Digiweb know your intentions! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Watty what are your opinions on this, you have been very silent on the topic so far. I am sure if the guys were talking about ibb or ice you would have something to say on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I don't believe I've commented particularly about the price of various offerings. More about explaining technical issues.

I know nothing more about this than the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭losetheforce

This sickens me, I'm on Metro Home and they sent me the same email saying "Great News", I am actually very happy with the 6MB broadband and have no interest in paying another €5 a month.

If I choose to keep paying €35 a month I have to drop 1MB/s speed and 10GB per month in download allowance, its total crap!

I've sent them 2 emails already giving out, please everybody else do the same, existing customers should be upped to the 8MB for the same price or else left as they are, the whole "GREAT NEWS" email was extremely patronising!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Who regularly tows the company line, anyways it was in jest so chill

MC

none the less it is not yours or anybody elses to vent a company decision on the likes of watty, your not going to change anything and its unfair to abuse other boards.ie users.

If people have an issue they should contact digiweb directly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Op thanks for that email. I suck at typing :) Sentit off this evening.

As i said in the other post about this Ill be cancelling my account at the end of the month. UPC has a much better package incentive.

Cabaal wrote: »
    none the less it is not yours or anybody elses to vent a company decision on the likes of watty, your not going to change anything and its unfair to abuse other boards.ie users.

If people have an issue they should contact digiweb directly

Let me make this perfectly clear, I in no way abused watty and in fact I welcome his insightful and informed comments about the state of not just Digiweb but the majority of irish ISPs and in particular the technical side of their operations

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Anyone know if I can port my digiweb number if I take out Ntl's phone service as well? Fingers crossed ntl will be quick enough to install I think it's just one months notice we have to give with Metro once you've gone past 12 months?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Have to say not impressed, especially with the email. Just sent them an email there will be interesting to see what their reply is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

game4it70 wrote: »
    NTlL will be available where i am hopefully before xmas so Digiweb can go fcuk themselves.

I won't be far behind you, hopefully. Of 6 people I know (and have recommended Metro to), in the N4 suburbs, 5 are ready to jump as soon as UPC pull in to town, 1 has already jumped because he could. I presume UPC expansion rate is so slow to not worry Digiweb too much (as indicated in their pricing), but surely the trend must be worrying for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I won't be far behind you, hopefully. Of 6 people I know (and have recommended Metro to), in the N4 suburbs, 5 are ready to jump as soon as UPC pull in to town, 1 has already jumped because he could. I presume UPC expansion rate is so slow to not worry Digiweb too much (as indicated in their pricing), but surely the trend must be worrying for them.

The marketing message from Digiweb sucks big time. I can't believe that they think people are stupid not to recognize this as a sly price increase. It's one thing to say "Great you get 8Mbs instead of 6" but another if your contention prevents you from taking advantage.

They could do with taking lessons from UPC on how to keep ahead - faster speeds at the same price!

The marketing message from Digiweb sucks big time. I can't believe that they think people are stupid not to recognize this as a sly price increase. It's one thing to say "Great you get 8Mbs instead of 6" but another if your contention prevents you from taking advantage.

They could do with taking lessons from UPC on how to keep ahead - faster speeds at the same price!

With a half decent CAP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Funnily enough, I've been contacting UPC on and off over the past few months for an update on their rollout in Dublin 7. Here's hoping!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement