Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro Price Increases - Let Digiweb Know Your Thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

bindybandy wrote: »
    Anyone know if I can port my digiweb number if I take out Ntl's phone service as well? Fingers crossed ntl will be quick enough to install I think it's just one months notice we have to give with Metro once you've gone past 12 months?

cheers

If it is a geographic I think you might have to go through the €ircon routine of changing back to them then porting away as there is only a porting agreement for this arrangement IIRC

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Does anyone know how many 'Metro' customers Digiweb have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

bindybandy wrote: »
    Anyone know if I can port my digiweb number if I take out Ntl's phone service as well? Fingers crossed ntl will be quick enough to install I think it's just one months notice we have to give with Metro once you've gone past 12 months?

To change from a third part VOIP provider to UPC all you need is your UAN. I would assume this is the same with Digiweb. Contact them and get the UAN (Universal account number) and contact UPC, I think they need that and a bill or letter of permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

In fairness if you're capable of getting UPC, especially some of the higher packages - why would you choose Digiweb?

That's not to say that Digiweb is bad, the Metro service is actually great - had it for a good few years without any problem.

But I wouldn't try to compare a FTTH UPC package with a Fixed Wireless Digiweb Metro package.

Outside of UPC, 8Mb/1Mb for €40 is pretty reasonable, and I found I was more likely to get the quoted speed with Metro than UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Rang them on firday about this. Their ever helpful customer service told me i now had an opt out clause in my 12 month contract so its not all bad. NTL here I come.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Lol so are they just planning on shutting down the Metro service and want to get everyone to leave them before they shut it down so it doesn't look like they are cutting off loads of customers :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

To be fair, I am on Metro Xtra and the price didnt change. I went from 10mb to 12mb.
    So I think its just the Home package.

Jumpy wrote: »
    To be fair, I am on Metro Xtra and the price didnt change. I went from 10mb to 12mb.
    So I think its just the Home package.

Metro Value increased in price too so it is only the already over priced Xtra package that remained the same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Yes thanks to "contention" the extra speed is not even noticeable after 5pm for me. I still get 1.5 megs up and varied upload speeds each test.
    I have got just under 8up and 1 down in the early part of the day though which is no use as you guys know with the 30gig cap.

Has anyone got any replies to there e-mails sent to Digiweb regarding this subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dymonaz

30Gb @ 8Mbit/s = ~8 hours
    30Gb @ 6Mbit/s = ~11 hours

So you will actually save ~3 hours each month, doing productive work, rather than doing a great deal of nothingness online. Even at minimum wage this is more than €5 :) Get it? Good deal!

Had I known this was comming when I signed up with them in August... I would probably still have done it, as this beats Three big time, with no other options available. Sad butt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

My contention has been OK, I have to admit. The only contention I do notice is on US links (Digweb's routing to the US tends to be quite horrific compared to, say, eircom). I've rarely noticed any contention at all on Irish traffic. I'm associated with the Tallaght mast.

The only 'contention' I experienced was when I was repeatedly incorrectly told I was suffering the effects of contention when it was quite clear it was a much deeper issue. Either a number of support technicians were grossly incompetent or they were deliberately lying to me at the time. Since that episode, I've seen very little contention, thankfully.

Yeah I'm uncontended but as stated by someone else, this means you can now reach your cap within 8 hours and have to wait 30 days for a usable service again.

Seems a little overly harsh don't you think Digiweb?

I mean I'm not a heavy torrent user or anything but I stream the odd tv show like Heroes because I don't have time to make sure I'm home to watch it when it is on. Between that and the other people in the house I'm sharing with, one who downloads anime once a week and one who only browses, we are having to watch our usage quite a lot.

I also download some games from steam and use Xbox Live and online gaming but I don't think there is much logic to that cap. Do they even know people are struggling to keep under it or is it just that the network can't handle it?

I think at least in places like where I am with the service isn't contended, the cap could easily be raised.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any replies to there e-mails sent to Digiweb regarding this subject?

No, no reply yet. Anyone?? ...... Looks like NTL/UPC will be getting try out.

That deceptive digiweb email annoyed me so much that now it is a point of principle - if they change by account by either charging me 60* euro a year extra or force me to downgrade - I will be moving to NTL.

Digiweb if your reading this, I'm offering you 420 euro next year or nothing at all!

Everyones comments about the Cap are bang on - it's is too low - having to check the Cap every few days is a pain. They are using the Caps as a method to try to entice people to go for the more costly packages.

* It's a 'recession' for fu@k sake, some of us have concerns about our jobs, and they think they can help themselves to our wallets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

pencil wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many 'Metro' customers Digiweb have?

Up to a few months ago I know they had over 700 subscribers on their Finglas tower, which is the busiest in the country BTW and over 300 subscribers on the Portlaoise tower with every other metro base showing similar numbers. If you add up how many metro base stations they have and estimate the average per cell it should give you a 'ROUGH' idea of their metro subscriber base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

pencil wrote: »
    * It's a 'recession' for fu@k sake, some of us have concerns about our jobs, and they think they can help themselves to our wallets

You never know, it might have something to do with it. Getting cheap funding ain't easy these days.

Blaster99 wrote: »
    You never know, it might have something to do with it. Getting cheap funding ain't easy these days.

They should put banner ads on their traffic stats page so instead of screwing customers, pushing them to their competitors and ending up laying off more staff becaue their profits decrease because so many people leave the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I'm glad someone started a thread on this.

I to am very unhappy about this 2mb increase at the cost of 5euro, it's worthless!

Someone mentioned a opt out clause somewhere, could you elaborate?

For 40euro a month NTL do a sweet deal, 20meg, no cap (actually 200gig i believe?). They have been upgrading around here the last few months, hopefull it will go live after xmass!

I have to say, never really had a problem with the connection. Always had excellent speeds, they dropped with bad weather is all, installation has been fine and no problems since.

Looking at the cap daily is a big annoyance, wish they had increased it like many others have said. They failed to send me the bill via email the last 2 months in a row but promised to send them the next time.

I'll fire of the OP's letter later today when i have some time.

Jozi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's difficult to choose an ISP with the numbers involved, sure UPC do 20Mb, I'm on it - speeds vary greatly, latency isn't as sweet as Metro though.

In my apartment block, everyone's a torrent monkey, so large incoming/outgoing connections and sometimes crawling speeds (see the UPC thread for more info)

You can grab a cap upgrade(+10GB) with Digiweb as well.

There are pro's and con's to every service, who knows maybe Digiweb will look at revising the caps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Well this was the straw that broke the donkeys back. I've just phoned them and given my 30 day notice. I ordered UPC. They will be in on Monday so I can evaluate if they have sorted out their network or not. Let's face it, UPC was rubbish 12 months ago. I just hope they have gotten their act together, as far as their infrastructure s concerned..

I was always semi happy with digiweb in the past however any time I had to ring them I always took that occasion to mention my displeasure at the very low cap.

With this recent speed increase, keeping the cap at the same size AND charing us for the privilege, well it's just not on anymore.

As was said earlier, the CAP is the part that costs. I am being charged €5 extra for reaching it quicker.

zAbbo wrote: »
    There are pro's and con's to every service, who knows maybe Digiweb will look at revising the caps?

You think? They have had two speed increases recently and didn't touch the caps. MAYBE if they lose enough customers, they will be forced to reconsider. But until that time, I think it's unlikely.

• Advertisement

It's difficult to choose an ISP with the numbers involved....... There are pro's and con's to every service.......

This is true, but I think everyone’s problem is with the way this price increase was introduced. That email showed contempt for the people that ultimately pay the bills for digiweb.

Existing customers should have the option to leave their accounts as they are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Well i sent off the OP email and got a reply today saying they rang. Didn't say much else:
    Hi name,

I called and left a voice mail for you today regarding the below email and issues you may have arising out of our current speed increases.

I am happy to speak with you on this matter and answer any questions you may have.

My direct dial here in digiweb is XXXXXXXXXX or you can simply reply to this email advising of a contact number & a convenient time for me to call you within office hours.

Kindest regards

xxxxxxxxx

Digiweb Customer Care Team

Just wondering if anyone who sent the email was talking to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I got a call off em but Was up in an attic doing a bit of work so told him to call me back tomorrow after 4:30 I'll let ya know how that goes as soon as im off the phone ;)

I wonder will they realise their mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I just sent on that email, hopefully something will happen! :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wetbench4 banned for a week for posting staff name and contact details without permission,

I suggest everyone read the charter http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055167684

It's difficult to choose an ISP with the numbers involved, sure UPC do 20Mb, I'm on it - speeds vary greatly, latency isn't as sweet as Metro though.

In my apartment block, everyone's a torrent monkey, so large incoming/outgoing connections and sometimes crawling speeds (see the UPC thread for more info)

You can grab a cap upgrade(+10GB) with Digiweb as well.

Well then I think it would be a fair compromise to at least offer existing customers the choice between the +10GB or the extra speed instead of this announcement of forcing everyone to pay more for a speed increase that just makes you hit the pitiful cap faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most people (> 70%) won't hit the cap faster as they don't use it up. The Cap or Quota only exists for those that need it, who would otherwise in some cases eat 600Gbyte a month.

You can buy a circuit that will allow that. It's a Business class, and alternative to a Leased Line. I remember being quoted about £10,000 a month for a leased line. (The alternative was dialup 128k ISDN at the time).

watty wrote: »
    Most people (> 70%) won't hit the cap faster as they don't use it up. The Cap or Quota only exists for those that need it, who would otherwise in some cases eat 600Gbyte a month.

You can buy a circuit that will allow that. It's a Business class, and alternative to a Leased Line. I remember being quoted about £10,000 a month for a leased line. (The alternative was dialup 128k ISDN at the time).

What percentage of people aren't hitting their cap because they are monitoring their usage?

What percentage come within 90% of their cap on a regular basis? That would be the actual figure worth looking at. In the age of Youtube and RTE.ie streaming video, I'd find it hard to believe most people aren't approaching 30GB usage in a month TBH.

Nobody is saying make it unlimited, just that 30GB is too low compared to Digiweb's competitors offerings.

Most people won't be able to tell the difference in speed either as they only browse the web so why increase speeds at all?

watty wrote: »

While I normally like to read your postings, your quote above is just not true. While there may be an element of truth to it, my case is different.

While I have never breached my cap, I check it at least ever 3 or 4 days. If I get a few GB from the limit I have to stop using the connection for a while [except light email and browsing] until it gets to an acceptable level.

Digiweb's limits are just too low for the speeds they are now offering.This is why I have left them as a customer [or will be within the month]. Nothing against you, watty. I could probably accept a 60GB or 80GB cap and never complain. I wouldn't have to be checking my usage every week. I just can't stay with Digiweb anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Sounds like good news for those who can now legally opt out of their contracts (comes at a handy time for one of my clients that can now go for upto 24m/bit dsl). Bad news for pretty much everyone else. I'd say 80.31% of Digiweb customers won't appreciate the extra 2 m/bit but will for damn sure notice the extra fiver.

Good news everyone lol :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement