Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro Price Increases - Let Digiweb Know Your Thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Has anyone spoken to the regulator about this seems like an abuse of power to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't see how it is an abuse of power, even if it was I can't see the regulator doing anything about it.

They are allowing customers to cancel contracts if unhappy and they are entitled to change the terms of the contract with sufficient notice which they have given.

They aren't doing anything wrong legally, it just isn't impressing their customers. A cap of 60GB would warrant an increase of 5 euro and would still deter the heavy bittorrent users.

Again why not simply give users the choice of an increase in cap or a speed increase? They can take which ever they find more useful and it makes customers happy that Digiweb actually gave them the choice instead of trying to convince them that a turd is gold like that email seems to be trying to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

brim4brim wrote: »
    Again why not simply give users the choice of an increase in cap or a speed increase? They can take which ever they find more useful and it makes customers happy that Digiweb actually gave them the choice instead of trying to convince them that a turd is gold like that email seems to be trying to do.

I know, are they actively trying to lose customers?

They are not the prettiest girl on the block anymore: http://www.upc.ie/internet/

It always amazes me when companies like this spend a lot, a lot, of time & effort trying to gain every single customer - then bang, one badly judged decision, that they refuse to roll back on, loses them a drove of customers in one swoop.

It's tough out their for a lot of people, I'd reckon that 50% of the country is worried about their forcoming pay checks - and Digiweb, in their infinite wisdom, draw attention to themselves by increasing their fee for bugger all increase in service - people will notice the fiver!..... it begs the question, are Digiweb in trouble??????....you heard it here first folks ;)

Anywho, I'm gone, I'm just not going to stand for it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shanemhoban

What percentage of people aren't hitting their cap because they are monitoring their usage?

What percentage come within 90% of their cap on a regular basis? That would be the actual figure worth looking at. In the age of Youtube and RTE.ie streaming video, I'd find it hard to believe most people aren't approaching 30GB usage in a month TBH.

Nobody is saying make it unlimited, just that 30GB is too low compared to Digiweb's competitors offerings.

Most people won't be able to tell the difference in speed either as they only browse the web so why increase speeds at all?
    i use youtube all the time, look at vids on rte all the time, play the xbox online and have never ever come close to the cap, its the bit torrent people that are worried, i sent a mail to digiweb complaining and they keep tryin to call me and the emailing saying they tried to contact me, ive told em i dont want to talk to them and all they need to do is email saying the increase will not be applied to my account! so they keep trying to ring! there idiots!

i use youtube all the time, look at vids on rte all the time, play the xbox online and have never ever come close to the cap, its the bit torrent people that are worried, i sent a mail to digiweb complaining and they keep tryin to call me and the emailing saying they tried to contact me, ive told em i dont want to talk to them and all they need to do is email saying the increase will not be applied to my account! so they keep trying to ring! there idiots!

I don't think so. I think it is the people with sharing in a house that have trouble keeping under the cap.

I downloaded Crysis from Steam and it took up 8GB. That is almost a third of the cap FFS! Or should I just not use digital stores?

Portal too which clocks in at 4.8GB. And I have the rest of the Orange Box to download and am waiting for bandwith to free up to download the rest of the games I have already purchased.

I want to download Left4Dead demo but it is another 7.5GB so I can't this month as I'm on 23GB at the moment to last the rest of the week.

Then there are Xbox Live demos, Wii games and general web browsing and email including video streaming so it is easy for me to reach 30GB on my own without touching torrents.

I also share with 2 other people in the house so have to not use all the bandwidth for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shanemhoban

I don't think so. I think it is the people with sharing in a house that have trouble keeping under the cap.

I downloaded Crysis from Steam and it took up 8GB. That is almost a third of the cap FFS! Or should I just not use digital stores?

Portal too which clocks in at 4.8GB. And I have the rest of the Orange Box to download and am waiting for bandwith to free up to download the rest of the games I have already purchased.

I want to download Left4Dead demo but it is another 7.5GB so I can't this month as I'm on 23GB at the moment to last the rest of the week.

Then there are Xbox Live demos, Wii games and general web browsing and email including video streaming so it is easy for me to reach 30GB on my own without touching torrents.

I also share with 2 other people in the house so have to not use all the bandwidth for myself.
    thats fair enough mate, didnt think about people house sharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

If I were to opt out of the metro service would they be come and remove the mast on my chimney and the modem also? Have to say I am dropping connection a lot lately too and only recently had a tech check it out where there was interference affecting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

watty wrote: »
    Most people (> 70%) won't hit the cap

Fair enough, but for relatively little expense, an other 15-25% could relax and not have to check their usage everytime Windows Update kicks off, or a Steam update or downloading a TV show, or whatever. Especially given that those 15-25% are pretty vocal, especially here. As for the last 5-10%, I don't care about them (no more than any ISP does) because they're that much out of touch with reality. Yes, low caps help with the overall user experience (especially in contented broadband). Digiweb seem to be on the lower end of the scale in that context though, given their platform doesn't need for it to be that low.
    Praetorian wrote: »
    I'd say 80.31% of Digiweb customers won't appreciate the extra 2 m/bit but will for damn sure notice the extra fiver.
    No idea on the figures, but definitely agreed on the sentiment.
    Psygnosis wrote: »
    Has anyone spoken to the regulator about this seems like an abuse of power to me.
    It's not, and they could do nothing anyway.
    Again why not simply give users the choice of an increase in cap or a speed increase?
    2 possible reasons: Logistics (but they already have multiple package support, so it doesn't look like that), or profiteering.
    sweetie wrote: »
    If I were to opt out of the metro service would they be come and remove the mast on my chimney and the modem also?
    Yes, it's their property (and of no use to you anyway).

.cg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fair enough Steam downloads are big but are you going to be downloading everything on steam every month?

Lets face it the vast majority of people don't pull down this sort of traffic on a monthly basis and I'm saying this from experience and those in house share situations or who require much bigger caps should really be looking at higher priced packages.

Sure the lower end package caps are not great but they are more then enough for pretty much 95% of digiweb's users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Cabaal wrote: »
    Lets face it the vast majority of people don't pull down this sort of traffic on a monthly basis

True but since UPC went no caps, I've been downloading a lot more. People want more use from the web, the just don't know it until they get it. I used to download very little but since getting 20Mbps and no cap it's changed everything for me. :) Digiweb seem to be trying to stem this.

• Advertisement

I recieved a reply from digiweb:
    Hi,

I just wish to confirm that you’re account is currently paid in full until mid 2009. Meaning you will not be affected by the price increase prior to the above date but will continue to enjoy the benefits of the increased speeds.

If you have any further questions regarding this matter please contact us on LoCall 1890 940 400

I trust this is in order, Kindest regards

Digiweb Customer Care Team

So the changes are to be applied! :rolleyes:

Question:
    As Digiweb are changing the T&C of the service, am I right in assuming that I am entitled to refund (for time unused) when I cancel my account?

Will they also come out & remove the aerial?

pencil wrote: »
    As Digiweb are changing the T&C of the service, am I right in assuming that I am entitled to refund (for time unused) when I cancel my account?
    I don't get you? They've already said that your current contract is paid up and that there'll be no change in your charge in that period (i.e. no change to your T&C in that regard), except that you'll enjoy the higher speed for free until then. If you cancel now, you're cancelling on the grounds of a material change (that the speeds are going up, but costs remain the same). I'm not sure that constitutes a material change, or is reasonable!

So if you were happy to pay up to mid '09 before these changes, and you're getting the higher speed for free until then, why do you want to cancel now?
    pencil wrote: »
    Will they also come out & remove the aerial?
    Yes.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Fair enough Steam downloads are big but are you going to be downloading everything on steam every month?

Lets face it the vast majority of people don't pull down this sort of traffic on a monthly basis and I'm saying this from experience and those in house share situations or who require much bigger caps should really be looking at higher priced packages.

I think you'll find that is a tiny subset of what is available on Steam :rolleyes:

I bought Orange Box and Crysis. Orange Box contains 5 games in a package.

Now on Digiweb I can't download all that in one month without hitting the cap.

Even if I had Metro Xtra I'd probably be over half way to my cap downloading two purchases.

Now what if I wanted to stream video on my 360 or anything else, even on Metro Xtra, I'd be hitting the cap very fast and that still excludes the other people I share the house with.

Its quite simple, the caps are too low for the services on offer considering the way consumers use the Internet. Telling users their wrong and they need to adjust the way the use the Internet is a bit ridiculous considering I'm not a heavy user that uses torrents looking to download 600GB a month. It also just shows even more contempt for customers as they tell us speed increases and price increases are good news and fook off if you have any issues at all with the caps.

The question has to be asked why can't Digiweb increase the cap on Xtra to 100Gb and for Home to 50GB and value to 30GB. Then at least the 5 euro increase may be justified. As it is, it is very hard to stomach for customers asking them to pay 5 euro extra a month for nothing.

If Digiweb don't think people are going to use the Internet when they have it then they are mistaken. If they think bandwidth use isn't going to increase over time they are mistaken. As people discover multimedia services their bandwidth use will inevitably increase unlike Digiweb's caps apparently.

Sure the lower end package caps are not great but they are more then enough for pretty much 95% of digiweb's users

I doubt it. How many are having to watch their caps constantly to make sure they don't go over like me? I haven't hit my cap but I could easily if I wanted to as I've already described, I can't download two purchases without hitting the cap.

It really seems Digiweb don't think the home package is for home users. If I had a family (wife and 2 kids), do you honestly think they wouldn't be coming near the cap. Kids don't use the Internet for multimedia apparently. Digiweb seem to think the majority of their users don't have kids or are single people that are too stupid to use multimedia services on the Internet so their caps are fine forever and ever.

Good luck to them with that attitude, they'll only ever see the customers number dropping over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Brim has a point about steam. The games he listed are all but a few.

I download from steam myself but have to limit what i get. I also get demos from file planet and also demos on my 360 and ps3. I play MMO's and also like to jump into beta test for new ones on the way out.

With digiweb I cant do it as activitly as I used to But wasnt too pushed about it as I had to build a new pc and that took me ages. Now I just need to go find an ISP that will suit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 hunter2008

They are not the prettiest girl on the block anymore: http://www.upc.ie/internet/

contacted upc and ot this reply Thank you for your online order. Unfortunately not all products you requested are available at your address. We can provide you with Digital Television but the Broadband service is not currently available. When your area is upgrade to Broadband you will receive written notification from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

they sent me a letter about the price changes yesterday saying they sent me an email that came back as undelivered. Thats because i dont work for them anymore as they made us redundant last month. so wld probably say they are just going to concentrate on business customers from now on as this is where they make the most money from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

tThats because i dont work for them anymore as they made us redundant last month.

they = Digiweb?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davyboy1975 viewpost.gif
    tThats because i dont work for them anymore as they made us redundant last month.

they = Digiweb?

Yes they= digiweb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Weird.

http://www.electricnews.net/story/show/10124525

That's only 5 months ago.

Personally, going after business customers only does not seem like a viable business plan for the long term to me.
    Your yields are higher but your base is smaller.

What's the reason 'us' were made redundant?

Could be a lot of reasons:
    - hosting business falls flat
    - broadband business falls flat
    - "bad economic times, let's cut costs, let's fire some people"
    - incompetence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I wrote them a snotty email today too, fed up of them. I emailed yesterday to say I'd not been upgraded to 8mb, even though they insist I have and I won't pay for a service I'm not actually getting. I told them all speed tests tell me I'm getting 6mb speeds, today I get an email back to tell me "6mb speed is actually very good for your area" ... eh, wtf?

So I mailed back saying, I'm not f'ing thick, when I say 6mb speeds I mean the tests show I'm getting about 5300kb/s total, as in, less than i should even get for 6mb - seriously they're such arrogant, ignorant runts. I'll cancel it altogether if they don't up me to 8mb soon. I've already paid for extra cap allowance. Runts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Dont they advertise it as up to 6mb?

Try power cycling your modem, thats what i had to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I wrote them a snotty email today too, fed up of them. I emailed yesterday to say I'd not been upgraded to 8mb, even though they insist I have and I won't pay for a service I'm not actually getting. I told them all speed tests tell me I'm getting 6mb speeds, today I get an email back to tell me "6mb speed is actually very good for your area" ... eh, wtf?

So I mailed back saying, I'm not f'ing thick, when I say 6mb speeds I mean the tests show I'm getting about 5300kb/s total, as in, less than i should even get for 6mb - seriously they're such arrogant, ignorant runts. I'll cancel it altogether if they don't up me to 8mb soon. I've already paid for extra cap allowance. Runts.

Count yourself lucky,i would be delighted with those sort of speeds.I get a measly 100kb/sec if i'm lucky at night.
    FYI,You dont start paying for the 8meg until the new year.Really if you look at these forums the majority of people here would be over the moon with what your getting.

Weird.

http://www.electricnews.net/story/show/10124525

That's only 5 months ago.

Personally, going after business customers only does not seem like a viable business plan for the long term to me.
    Your yields are higher but your base is smaller.

What's the reason 'us' were made redundant?

Could be a lot of reasons:
    - hosting business falls flat
    - broadband business falls flat
    - "bad economic times, let's cut costs, let's fire some people"
    - incompetence?
    user_offline.gif Broadband business was up loads of orders ready on the system waiting to be installed so wasnt that. Incompetence certainly not with me they left 5 of us go from the one office even though we were out performing other offices. Probably bad economic times, which is a bit strange considering they gave me a rise about 4 months ago.
    quote.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I'm surprised you're calling them arrogant!

Maybe you should cancel it.

I won't pay for a service I'm not actually getting.
    You're paying for a contended service. If you want an uncontended 8Mb service, you're not talking orders (plural) of magnitude more.

Do you ever (like at 4am) get 8Mb? Do you know what your signal levels are?

Has anyone else noticed a DROP in there broadband quality since these changes were made?

My 'Metro Home*' service has gotten worst - maybe it's because I've been vocal (but polite) about voicing my displeasure???

I always had approximately the stated speed 6000kbps down & 500kbps up.
    However my speeds are nowhere near 8mb/1mb in fact they have gotten worst!

Using Digiweb speed test - it's been around these speed for a few days.

26/11/2008: 10.40am
    Download Speed: 5055 kbps (631.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 198 kbps (24.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 39 ms

26/11/2008: 10.04am
    Download Speed: 5721 kbps (715.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 194 kbps (24.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 38 ms

So much for a speed increase!!!!!

* Previously known as the €35 euro a month Metro but now the €40 per month Metro, thank you very much! :p

Not noticed a speed increase but then I wouldn't would I because the speed was already fast enough and I just wanted a cap increase like 90% of other existing digiweb users I imagine.

Anyway the service has gone down on me once so I wouldn't be surprised if speeds were lower than before but I've not had a chance to test it. Might do that tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Its the contention thats killing me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

zoro wrote: »
    Its the contention thats killing me :(
    I feel your pain:mad::(
    Where you located? i'm on the three-rock mast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

game4it70 wrote: »
    I feel your pain:mad::(
    Where you located? i'm on the three-rock mast