Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline vs Head Shops (again)

• 07-11-2008 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

I was unfortunate to catch the last fifteen minutes of today's LiveLine.

Basically, head-shop sells 15 year-old 'something', 15 year has psychotic episode, cue hysterical Mother calling for all Head Shops to be burnt to the ground.

It was, I felt, a very unbalanced piece, even for Liveline.

Somehow I don't think that they'd be having the same debate had the same 15 year-old been served copious amounts of vodka by the local pub.

Without wanting to spark-up (no pun intended, etc) the whole joys/evils of Cannibis debate, I feel that we're in for another "won't someone think of the children" knee-jerk Legislation-by-Liveline Harney moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Joe Duffy is the biggest troll in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

I was unfortunate to catch the last fifteen minutes of today's LiveLine.

It was, I felt, a very unbalanced piece, even for Liveline.

Yah I listened to this in the car on the way home yesterday. Yer man Paddy from the head shop had Joe and the other right wing nazi (her name escapes me now) over a barrel. He won the debate hands down, Joe has a cunning nack of putting words in peoples mouths.... Paddy was having non of it tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Heard it, thought they could have had a psychiatrist on and/or one of the head shop owners. It was unfortunate that her son had a psychotic episode but generally people who have these reactions are rare and probably have a prediposition to psychosis. If he had of smoked canabis he may have had same problem. Maybe he didnt follow the instructions on dose etc on the packet of stuff he took. I agree it was unbalanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

markok84 wrote: »
    Yah I listened to this in the car on the way home yesterday. Yer man Paddy from the head shop had Joe and the other right wing nazi (her name escapes me now) over a barrel. He won the debate hands down, Joe has a cunning nack of putting words in peoples mouths.... Paddy was having non of it tho.

Agree with that. While I may not agree with everything he said he had a good answer for everything thrown at him. At one stage duffy says to him, "how do you know people are buying illegal drugs in Ireland". FFS like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

It was pure comedy

one exchange went something like this

Joe: Have you taken these BZP tabs Paddy?
    Paddy: yes joe i took two yesterday morning?
    Joe: Really?
    Paddy: Yeah i was dying of a hangover

myself and the missus were listening in the car, she said she'd never heard of Paddy's shops, and now she and about 300 thousand others knew all about them, exactly where they were what they sold etc

he couldn't have paid for that kind of advertising

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

giftgrub wrote: »
    It was pure comedy

one exchange went something like this

Joe: Have you taken these BZP tabs Paddy?
    Paddy: yes joe i took two yesterday morning?
    Joe: Really?
    Paddy: Yeah i was dying of a hangover

myself and the missus were listening in the car, she said she'd never heard of Paddy's shops, and now she and about 300 thousand others knew all about them, exactly where they were what they sold etc

he couldn't have paid for that kind of advertising

My favourite piece went something like this.

Joe: so where are people buying these illegal drugs Paddy.
    Paddy: Ah come on now Joe the dogs on the streets know where to buy drugs.
    Joe: Well I don't
    Paddy: thats not what I heard Joe.

Joe: Paddy that was a scurrilous accusation..... scurrilous.

Paddy: Do you know what a solipsist is Joe. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

He got a nice dig in about joe's big rte salary too which annoyed joe!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Without wanting to spark-up (no pun intended, etc) the whole joys/evils of Cannibis debate, I feel that we're in for another "won't someone think of the children" knee-jerk Legislation-by-Liveline Harney moment.
    Within a month Harney will be signing some SI to close headshops for good. That is a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

markok84 wrote: »

I actually thought that guy came over as a right idiot who did headshops no favours at all, all he did was reinforce the stereotype that they're ran by people who couldn't give a crap about what they're selling and who to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I love the way joe thinks he did the country a great service by banning magic mushrooms. it's like banning buttercups. They grow in every field in ireland joe!

Anyway, I agree with the headshops, they should be great. But the people in there give you almost no information of what you're buying. They should take a lesson from the amsterdam ones.

Gerry Ryan is the same when someone mentions wages. Do Joe and Gerry think no one knows how much they're on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Quint wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan is the same when someone mentions wages.

Not wanting to derail the thread, but Gerry is always forthcoming about his wages. Hell, he mentioned it this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Within a month Harney will be signing some SI to close headshops for good. That is a given.

Pity that cow wouldn't be as concerned about the Superbugs in her hospitals that kill people on a constant basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Not wanting to derail the thread, but Gerry is always forthcoming about his wages. Hell, he mentioned it this morning.

He does talk about it, but if a caller says something along the lines of "you're alright gerry, you get paid a fortune" he gets very stroppy

Advertisement