Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescuing a Springer Spaniel

Options
  • 07-11-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have been thinking about getting a dog for a while . About 2 weeks ago, I visited my local pound to see what they had & fell in love with a fabulous springer spaniel. He’s about 2 years old, very quiet & friendly & seems to have had some training – does the right thing when I said sit. Not sure why he was abandoned - all they can tell me is that he was picked up in a neighbouring village. When I went back this week, he has kennel cough & they are treating him for it. Have agreed to take him but he will not be released until the cough is gone. I am to call back next Wed.

I had golden cockers many years ago but have a few questions. I never really trained my dogs properly so could anyone recommend a good book on training. Doesn’t have to be too detailed as I won’t be using him for hunting, just as a pet. Just want to fine out about general obedience training. I’ve heard of “Don’t shoot the Dog” – any good?.

Also, when I took my dogs out for a walk I didn’t worry where they did their poos. Now that I am older & more responsible (Ha, ha) I would like to know what people do – do you carry a plastic bag in your pocket?. Can’t see myself carrying a pooper scooper.

Final question – poos again -is it possible to train a dog to do his business in a certain part of the garden, i.e. a toilet area. I also have 3 kids so would like if the main lawn area was poo free if that’s possible.

Many Thanks,

Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

TigerTim wrote: »
    I would like to know what people do – do you carry a plastic bag in your pocket?. Can’t see myself carrying a pooper scooper.

I carry a roll of lunch bags, some people prefer nappy bags as they are perfumed.
    Final question – poos again -is it possible to train a dog to do his business in a certain part of the garden, i.e. a toilet area. I also have 3 kids so would like if the main lawn area was poo free if that’s possible.

Yes, when you take him home each time he needs the toilet bring him into the garden on his lead and always take him to the same spot. After a week or two he will understand that this is his toilet.

As for why he has been abandoned, a lot of springers get abandoned as their owners don't exercise them enough, so the dog is unruly in the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

hi, i have a 4 yr old springer and he's the sweetest dog ever, def reccommend getting one to anyone interested in them.

they do need a lot of exercise though, they can be a bit mad but calmed a bit when i had him neutered, presume your dog is neutered or will be when leaving the rescue home?

highly intelligent breed, will respond well to good training. i brought him to obedience classes when he was a pup and read a book by jan fennell which i found helpful. he is the first dog i ever had so i needed that help!!!

i can only speak from personal experience but they seem to be a very clean breed, he uses the same patch in the garden for his poos always.

hope this helps and best of luck. hope you have as much joy in your life with your springer as i do with mine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Fair play for going for a rescue dog first of all!!

Second of all the book "Its me or the dog" is brilliant! I swore by it when training a wild weimaraner last year.

Good luck with the little fella if you end up taking him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Poundcity or Euro2 as its known now, also do poop-bags. I think its 125 black "scented" bags for 2euro.

We've also used lunch bags and nappy bags. the nappy bags smell a whole lot nicer than the "scented" dog bags from Euro2 - to me, they smelled like tyres :D

You might be interested in Clicker training as well. Its not the way some people describe it .. i.e. that a gadget trains your dog. YOU train the dog using the sound as a marker to tell the dog that is the correct behaviour you are looking for. You can use anything as a marker, "yes", "good" etc but tone of voice changes with our moods so the sound doesnt always stay the same. The sound from the clicker always stays the same.

You can find loads of videos on youtube demonstrating it as well.

Its just a matter of finding what works for you and your dog. There's many ways to train dogs (kind ways!!), but not all of them suit individual dogs. Learn about your dog and be in tune with him, and you'll find the right way to train him.

Good luck with him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

iguana wrote: »
    I carry a roll of lunch bags, some people prefer nappy bags as they are perfumed.

I find that the nappy bags are too thin and although they are scented, when you pick up the number 2 you can really feel it in the bag and its a bit more yucky to pick up. The proper bags are just thicker basically and you should always just have a few in your pocket for when you're on walks or keep them beside the dogs lead for handiness.

Also if you feed the dog dry food then the number 2s are more solid and its much easier to pick them up. Any names yet ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thanks for all the replies & encouragement. Have 3 kids so know about the nappy bags!!. They are pretty light. I hate the smelly bags from the pound shops/Eurosave so guess the lunch bags might do the trick. No names yet. I live with 4 women - wife & 3 daughters - they all want to call him something different. The youngest is set on Scruffy. When they were small I used to tell them bedtime stories about a fictional wonder dog called Max, so Max is also a possible name. Will check my local book shop for "Its me or the dog". Have heard of clicker training but don't know much about it so will have a look at youtube.
    Just spent the day fencing in one side of my back garden where the wall is fairly low & putting up a side gate.

Thanks,

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

I find Your Dog magazine very good. You can get it in Easons each month. Their webpage is very good too. When I adopted my dog I wasn't very informed but with books and these mags I got to know a good bit.

http://www.yourdog.co.uk/index.php

Thanks, MissyN

Picked up my new springer spaniel from the pound today. He has recovered from the Kennel cough so now a bit of a learning curve for all of us. He's really friendly & the kids are very comfortable with him. However he needs a good bit of training. Knows sit (sometimes) but really pulls on the lead when walking. Must get my dog training book. Kids have named him Sam.

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gracietwo

Picked up my new springer spaniel from the pound today. He has recovered from the Kennel cough so now a bit of a learning curve for all of us. He's really friendly & the kids are very comfortable with him. However he needs a good bit of training. Knows sit (sometimes) but really pulls on the lead when walking. Must get my dog training book. Kids have named him Sam.

Tim

Firstly, congratulations Tim on rescuing your new family member. As an owner of 2 gorgeous springers myself, may I say that you have got yourself a fantastic dog! They make the most wonderful pets and are the perfect family dog .
    My 2 girls also came from pounds and sadly, springers do seem to end up in pounds alot. Being bred as working dogs they have alot of energy to burn off. Thankfully, I live near a beach which is an ideal place for them to really run. They LOVE water and are excellent swimmers. If you can find a suitable place to let him off the lead for a bit you'll have no problems.
    I would imagine that your boy being a 2 year old is probably over the chewing stage (luckily!). One of mine practically chewed the house up but some tough chew toys sorted that out! A big kong toy stuffed with tasty treats keeps her busy for hours! I'm sure you'll find that he'll respond to training very well as they are a really intellegent breed he will enjoy the challenge of working for treats. It's all a fun game! My two learned basic commands and tricks really quickly. They are really clever, born performers and really eager to please.

I wish you, your family and Sam many, many years of happiness together :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, Gracietwo.

There's a quite beach only 6 miles away where I will let him run but not until I've done some basic training & am sure he'll come back to me. For the moment it's just walks on the lead for him.

Went & bought him a new kennel but he's not interested yet. He's curled up in a muddy patch asleep at the moment. I had a Golden cocker spaniel many years ago & it's bringing back a lot of memories. Same nutty, frantic behaviour!!.

TIm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok Tim..

Its obligatory for user's of this forum (esp when you rescue) to POST A PHOTO ASAP :D

Weldone Tim.

Everyone here loves to hear of a rescue success, I'm delighted for you and the dog (whats its name?).

Aw congrats to you on your new addition :D
    And congrats to Sam on his forever home ;)

We'd love a pic ;)

Thanks for all the good wishes. Will get some pics later.
    How do you persuade a dog to use his kennel. He spent last night sleeping in a muddy patch near his kennel & no amount of persuasion would get him to go in.

Tim

Same way as crate training him. Show him that its the best place in the world to be. It could take time though. Tempt him with treats to get him to put his nose in - by placing them on the ground, then dropping them closer and closer to the kennel. Leave one on the step of the kennel, when he approaches - quiet praise. Loud or excitable praise can cause the dogs to get excited and forget why they are being praised in the first place in all the excitement.

Then progress from there. If he voluntarily approaches it for sniffs, treat. Approaches and puts paws in, treat. Puts all 4 paws in, treat. Goes in for an explore, treat. Use some high value treats and keep them just for association with the kennel.

I went through every thing with one of mine - from his food to shop bought packets of training treats, to Rodeo's and Schmacko's cut up, his favourite biscuits broken up, chicken, cheese, peanut butter, liver paste, liver and finally discovered his most wanted treat - liver sprinkled with garlic powder and baked in the oven :eek: then chopped up into small cubes. So find something he really really really wants, and use that to train the kennel to be a good place.

Give him a kong in there.

Do all the things he loves by incorporating the kennel. Play fetch (even if he's only learning) and get him to go in after a ball/toy/rope/chew etc. Give him a bone in there etc.

It will take a while for him to figure out that it is the best place to be (besides you) if he doesnt like it immediately.

I have 2 dogs - one loved the crate since the minute she arrived (rescue at 1 yr old), the other just did not want anything to do with it. I used a clicker to help him realise that it was a good place because we were attending clicker classes so figured I might as well use it for something I needed at home as well. He loves it now, but it did take a while.

I've never had an outside dog, so maybe I'm way off base, but is there soft bedding in there? The mud would be softer for him to lie on if he's in a plastic bed or plain kennel floor.

How big is the kennel?
    Is it big enough for you to fit into? :D You could try going in and calling him in to you as well.

Good luck!

Advertisement