Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Guilty Pleasures?

• 07-11-2008 7:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have any ''so good it's bad'' albums?

Mine would be ''Stranger in this Town'' by Richie Sambora, cheesy blues/rock/pop from the Bon Jovi guitarist released in the early 90's. Everything about it is quite bad but i can't help but love it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

So good it's bad? I don't have any albums that are so good they're bad. I do have a few that are so bad they're good. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Touché:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I gotta say i've recently become partial to HIM's "Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights", musically it's a pretty decent album but god, what's with the effeminite lyrics? Ville Vallo has to be the Whitney f*cking Houston of this genre! All the songs on the album seem to be about breakups or on the verge of!

That said, it's a good album to have on when yer getting ready to head out, knowing me though, i'll change my mind in a few hours and delete this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Most of friends think of me as fairly Hard Rock, but one night I had my friends back and put on Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (yes the one with Candle in the wind) without thinking of my reputation, they had thought I'd gone soft. But alas a guilty pleasure was found out. Early Rod Stewart (tonights the night, killing of Georgie, The first cut is the deepest) is my Sunday morning perfect sounds, and although I hate to admit it I think there is something quite wonderful about Queen upto their want to break free and Radio Ga-ga period. Its all out now! The shame, the SHAME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I have no guilty pleasures, only pleasures. I listen to what I like, and don't feel guilty about any of it. :D

• Advertisement

Come on Karl, you must like something that if it were outed you might be slightly embarrassed aboot? Or are you keeping your Boardsie 'cool'? :pac:

I have no guilty pleasures, only pleasures. I listen to what I like, and don't feel guilty about any of it. :D

I call f*cking bullsh*t! :D

damonjewel wrote: »
    I think there is something quite wonderful about Queen upto their want to break free and Radio Ga-ga period. Its all out now! The shame, the SHAME!

I win there, as Bohemian Rhapsody was #1 in the UK chart the day I was born! :D

I actually got my hands on a very good quality boot of the Freddie Mercury concert back in 1992. Still remember going up to my mates place and we were glued to the television for about 7 hours solid. But most of the stuff that got me into Queen was from around that period of time, The Works/A Kind Of Magic.

In fact, i think anyone their late 20's/early 30's will say the same, as they were kids growing up hearing it.

damonjewel wrote: »
    Come on Karl, you must like something that if it were outed you might be slightly embarrassed aboot? Or are you keeping your Boardsie 'cool'? :pac:

No man, it's not a case of keeping an image, it's more the fact that I'm shameless. ;)

I mean seriously, I like Elton John too, I own that same HIM album Shawn is on about, and Queen were my first musical love, there's nothing about them I'd be embarrassed about. Add to that some of the horrendously cheesy Japanese pop music I like, extremely cheesy female fronted metal bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation that I've even gone to see live, that I like Phil Collins, and god knows how much more stuff I own that could be considered cheesy or embarrassing by some, but not to me.

Nah, I got nothing I'm ashamed of. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

i was into A-HA back in the day:o

recently heard 'take on me' on the radio and the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. class pop music,don't make 'em like that anymore:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Katy Perry, but prob only because I want to marry her, such a sexy girl

lord lucan wrote: »
    i was into A-HA back in the day:o

recently heard 'take on me' on the radio and the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. class pop music,don't make 'em like that anymore:D

I still have Hunting High and Low on tape somewhere! That was such an awesome album for it's time. :)

But she's into girls and likes it, apparently.

She angers me and makes my blood boil! She'll vanish into thin air by the time 2010 rolls around.
    (thank Christ for that!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I love 80's cheese like Falco and Midnight Oil. Then again, I dont feel guilty about it. Anyone who knows me, knows I like it. I also have all the Queen albums, including The Works. I also have all of the HIM albums. Deep Shadows is probably their worst album though.

Nightwish wrote: »
    I love 80's cheese like Falco and Midnight Oil. Then again, I dont feel guilty about it. Anyone who knows me, knows I like it. I also have all the Queen albums, including The Works. I also have all of the HIM albums. Deep Shadows is probably their worst album though.

YES!!
    When i was 10 years old, i actually had the 12" of Rock me Amadeus! (Urban Tropical on the b-side). Of course, when you're 10 years old you don't know how to look after sh*t, so it ended up scratched to bits, unplayable and eventually left behind in my old place.

I hated Midnight Oil when i first heard them, that would have been around 87-88, Diesel and Dust era. But Blue Sky Mining is still a regular fixture on my playlist to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love Abba. Have their greatest hits album on iTunes.

There, I've said it.

*awaits ban from Rock & Metal*

Apart from that - other embarrassing ones I have would be the soundtracks to various video games, Lauryn Hill, and Lordi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Lordi are nothing to be ashamed of! I <3 Mr. Lordi :D

I love Abba. Have their greatest hits album on iTunes.

There, I've said it.

*awaits ban from Rock & Metal*

Apart from that - other embarrassing ones I have would be the soundtracks to various video games, Lauryn Hill, and Lordi.

Nothing wrong with Abba really, one of the best pop acts of all time really. And soundtracks to video games, something to be ashamed of? Which ones are we talking about here, because a lot of them are absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, and the wonderfully cheesy J-pop of Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy. :)
    Koji Kondo, Kenji Yamamoto and Nobuo Uematsu are awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Must say I'm quite impartial to Rick Astley or Meat Loaf myself:D

Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, and the wonderfully cheesy J-pop of Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy. :)
    Koji Kondo, Kenji Yamamoto and Nobuo Uematsu are awesome.

If anything, you deserve a ban for thinking the great Nobuo is something to be embarrassed about. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

give it up for nobou and koji :D who feels guilty about music though seriously...i have slayer, dr dre, the chemical brothers, the sugar hill gang, bad religion, charles mingus and yann tiersen on my ipod i like country and j-pop and liquid tension experiement, they might qualify for 'so bad its good' for some people but i dont think so :D hell i've even listened to justin timberlake and gone 'thats a cool bassline'

and that proves my point :D cheesey as **** but savage, i mean i dont expect to not get slagged about it but people shouldnt dole out the slags unless they're willing to have their taste scrutinized ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not really rock/metal some of these choices. Sticking with the genre, I cant admit to owning any seriously naff albums but am partial to the odd white trousered/big hair AOR moment. Jefferson Startship - Jane, REO Speedwagon - Keep on Loving You (that guitar solo is teh win!), assorted Asia, Foreigner, Journey tracks etc.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

I own St. Anger...guilty but not a pleasure :P

Speaking of Nobuo, you heard The Black Mages, right? It's the band he formed so he could play some of the Final Fantasy music live.

Legend. :D
    mike65 wrote: »
    Journey tracks etc.

Journey are great though, they've an extremely strong catalog of songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

No man, it's not a case of keeping an image, it's more the fact that I'm shameless. ;)

I mean seriously, I like Elton John too, I own that same HIM album Shawn is on about, and Queen were my first musical love, there's nothing about them I'd be embarrassed about. Add to that some of the horrendously cheesy Japanese pop music I like, extremely cheesy female fronted metal bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation that I've even gone to see live, that I like Phil Collins, and god knows how much more stuff I own that could be considered cheesy or embarrassing by some, but not to me.

Nah, I got nothing I'm ashamed of. :D

You used to be cool man.. :pac:

Oh I quite like that song Disturbia by Rhianna..

Does that make me gay ?

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Does that make me gay ?

No, but Spiderman will make you gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

When I was 6, I was couldn't sleep on christmas eve night because I was tool excited about santa bringing me Waking Up The Neighbours by Brian Adams!

I'm quite partial to a bit of Bee Gees. Some fantastic tunes, but were ruined by countless boybands doing terrible covers. New York Mining Disaster still sends shivers down my spine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 SwirlsAllAround

Def Leppard.... I know I shouldn't, but I do. I'm come to terms with it now, accepted who I am (a Def Leppard "fan") and I am willing to admit it in public.... and the more awful the song lyrics, the more I seem to enjoy it too.

Advertisement