Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Guilty Pleasures?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Def Leppard.... I know I shouldn't, but I do. I'm come to terms with it now, accepted who I am (a Def Leppard "fan") and I am willing to admit it in public.... and the more awful the song lyrics, the more I seem to enjoy it too.

I always wanted to see them live out of morbid curiosity about the one-armed guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have no guilty pleasures, only pleasures. I listen to what I like, and don't feel guilty about any of it. :D

Excately. At my age I really dont give a **** what I`m supposed to like. If I like it I like it.

Why would anybody be embarrassed to like a group or act?:confused:

Anyways seeing as this is the rock/metal forum I`ll throw in a couple of albums that I am listening to alot that arent in that genre and I`m sure some people will shake their heads and tut tut. :D

Santogold - Santogold

Neil Diamond - Home Before Dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Def Leppard.... I know I shouldn't, but I do. I'm come to terms with it now, accepted who I am (a Def Leppard "fan") and I am willing to admit it in public.... and the more awful the song lyrics, the more I seem to enjoy it too.

I'm going through a bit of that personal crises myself. At the moment its just a few "hit", "fun" songs... who knows how long it'll be before I buy an album?

Convinced myself that I liked Europe in some sort of annoying postmodern ironic way for a a while. But really they're just great and I love them. They must have been a gateway drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 SwirlsAllAround

Geranium wrote: »
    who knows how long it'll be before I buy an album?

At least now if you do find yourself going down that road, buying an entire Europe album for example, you can do it online. You won't feel that same urge to lie to the shop assistant, saying that it's not for you, but that you're buying it for your friend with dodgy taste as a birthday present. Isn't online shopping just fantastic?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I always wanted to see them live out of morbid curiosity about the one-armed guy.

Nowt wrong with Leppard! Saw em live in 96 on the Slang tour where Rick Allen ditched the electronic set for semi-acoustic drum kit and sounded f*cking awesome.

Songs From The Sparkle Lounge, and their covers album, Yeah are worth checking out, especially the latter for their covers of Waterloo Sunset, 10538 Overture and Hanging On The Telephone. :)

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Must say I'm quite impartial to Rick Astley or Meat Loaf myself:D

Ban warranted for having Rick Ghastly in the same sentence as Meatloaf! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭James Bong 79

The King himself, Elvis Presley, especially the vegas live period!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Ban warranted for having Rick Ghastly in the same sentence as Meatloaf! :/

It all started when Josh Homme sang some Rick during Feel Good Hit in Bristol...and yes, EVERYONE loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭violetdream

No man, it's not a case of keeping an image, it's more the fact that I'm shameless. ;)

I mean seriously, I like Elton John too, I own that same HIM album Shawn is on about, and Queen were my first musical love, there's nothing about them I'd be embarrassed about. Add to that some of the horrendously cheesy Japanese pop music I like, extremely cheesy female fronted metal bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation that I've even gone to see live, that I like Phil Collins, and god knows how much more stuff I own that could be considered cheesy or embarrassing by some, but not to me.

Nah, I got nothing I'm ashamed of. :D

Phil collins rules!...amazing drummer as well....Miami Vice + in the air tonite = genius ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlVqZyUmPL0

Phil collins rules!...amazing drummer as well....Miami Vice + in the air tonite = genius ...

Big Genesis fan here! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Not ashamed to admit this as my mates know what I am into. Don't feel guilty about them either.

Really love the Def Leppard videos from the 80's. "Pour Some Sugar On Me", "Photograph" and "Love Bites".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Nothing wrong with a bit of Def Leppard! High N Dry is a great album :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

My friends take the piss out of me for loving ultra-cheesy 80's glam metal. Bands like King Kobra, Dirty Rhythm, Fate and Tobruk for example, but I think that stuff rocks. Anything with a backcombed mullet and skintight spandex and leather will do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ladystrange

Its Bon Jovi for me, cant help it. ;) I know I'm being such a girl but I love 'em. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Good Charlotte(the first two albums):o:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

that I like Phil Collins,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlVqZyUmPL0
    Big Genesis fan here! :D

Heyyyyyyyyy, I knew there had to be a few more out there!

I've been a massive Genesis fan since the Foxtrot album & never missed a tour until the last one. Even back in the 70's, they were an uncool band to be into, too public schoolboy. They had great success & popularity in the 80's with Invisible Touch & We Can't dance, but that just about coincided with the start of the negativity towards Phil Collins, so it was never too cool to be a big fan of theirs.

I've always appreciated their music, and never gave a damn about why others failed to get the magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They were Phil Collins backing band by the time of Invisible Touch though, 1983s Genesis (Mama album) was the last gasp of real Genesis for me.

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    They were Phil Collins backing band by the time of Invisible Touch though, 1983s Genesis (Mama album) was the last gasp of real Genesis for me.

Mike

A common misconception, Mike!

A lot of the slushiest Genesis lyrics ( & music) were always written by keyboard player Tony Banks. Whilst there's no denying that Phil was a fan of stripping a song down to it's base level, it's unfair on him - and more so the band- to belittle them by calling them a backing band. (he had a damn fine backing band of his own anyway!)

Phil's solo career had really taken off by the time Genesis became "hot"...and they had hits with songs like In Too Deep, so the conclusions are understandable, I suppose. But the band had shaken off their stuffy image & were writing much simpler songs alonside more traditional stuff like Domino & Fading Lights.

I'd agree if you said the music had become more mainstream, less exciting, less for the head & more for the feet. But I think blaming PC for all that changed just ain't right!

Definitely, he'd already had a UK number one with You Can't Hurry Love before the Mama album had been released.

And there's no way you could call Genesis the "Phil Collins backing band" by the time We Can't Dance came around. No way would Collins have tried marketing a dark subject like No Son Of Mine as a solo artist.

On the subject of Genesis, i wanna say that i actually enjoyed Ray Wilson's time with the band too. I think Calling All Stations got a terrible amount of slack without a proper listen. Some of the b-sides from those singles are really good, especially Sign Your Life Away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I can definitely say ELO are a guilty pleasure for me, my dad was always playing their records when I was growing up and I've always kind of hated them and loved them at the same time.

• Advertisement

Definitely, he'd already had a UK number one with You Can't Hurry Love before the Mama album had been released.

And there's no way you could call Genesis the "Phil Collins backing band" by the time We Can't Dance came around. No way would Collins have tried marketing a dark subject like No Son Of Mine as a solo artist.

On the subject of Genesis, i wanna say that i actually enjoyed Ray Wilson's time with the band too. I think Calling All Stations got a terrible amount of slack without a proper listen. Some of the b-sides from those singles are really good, especially Sign Your Life Away.

Good shout, Shawn!

Maybe, in a way, Calling All Stations would be my guilty pleasure. I wasn't happy at Ray Wilson being hired because I thought he was inappropriate to the music & I really felt anyway that Mike & Tony should've called it a day & put Genesis to bed. They could easily have released the music they had under another name, but I guess they felt that the Genesis title would buy airtime. CAS is actually a fairly decent album, but the horror that was Genesis live with Ray up front soured it for me, for a long time. Having listened to CAS again a while later, I had to admit that quite a lot of the album was really quite good.
    An opinion that doesn't go down well with a lot of long-term fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

I think it would be "Simple Minds" for me- even though I'm not so embarressed about them these days but they really dont fit in with the rest of my music at all! So I guess if I was to be even more honest, it would have to be...... (and I cant believe I'm saying this here!!) but I love when Spandau Ballet come on radio- ya just cant beat "Gold"! Its indestructible ya know!! lol!!!! :P

big b wrote: »
    Good shout, Shawn!

Maybe, in a way, Calling All Stations would be my guilty pleasure. I wasn't happy at Ray Wilson being hired because I thought he was inappropriate to the music & I really felt anyway that Mike & Tony should've called it a day & put Genesis to bed. They could easily have released the music they had under another name, but I guess they felt that the Genesis title would buy airtime. CAS is actually a fairly decent album, but the horror that was Genesis live with Ray up front soured it for me, for a long time. Having listened to CAS again a while later, I had to admit that quite a lot of the album was really quite good.
    An opinion that doesn't go down well with a lot of long-term fans!

Tell me about it, I still get it in the neck for saying that i appreciate CAS. I remember feeling a bit strange myself when they had hired him. I initially didn't warm up to him the live stuff either, and in cutting my nose off to spite my face, i didn't go to the show here in 1998. Something i regretted because i've since seen youtube footage of him performing with that lineup in Germany and it actually aged well. It kinda reminded me of what some of the Collins era would have sounded like with Gabriel as their voices were somewhat similar by the time 1998 rolled around.

I've been on a hunt for a boot video or DVD from that tour for quite some time now as well, with little or no success. :(

sparkzter wrote: »
    I think it would be "Simple Minds" for me- even though I'm not so embarressed about them these days but they really dont fit in with the rest of my music at all! So I guess if I was to be even more honest, it would have to be...... (and I cant believe I'm saying this here!!) but I love when Spandau Ballet come on radio- ya just cant beat "Gold"! Its indestructible ya know!! lol!!!! :P

Count me in for Simple Minds as well. I got their hands on the Silver Box and the Tales box sets which had all the singles. Really f*cking took me back. It's just too bad that they couldn't keep musicially into the 90s as by the time 87-88 they were right up there with U2, but i don't think anyone expected U2's direction with Achtung Baby at all, anyone else that was up there with them at that time just couldn't keep up afterwards, and U2 shot into orbit.

I've been on a hunt for a boot video or DVD from that tour for quite some time now as well, with little or no success. :(

It's not long till Christmas, you just never know what Santy might put in your PM box. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

1.Linkin Park
    2.Frank Patterson
    3.Christina Aguilera

big b wrote: »
    It's not long till Christmas, you just never know what Santy might put in your PM box. ;)

I loves Santy! :D I ALWAYS BELIEVED!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Count me in for Simple Minds as well. I got their hands on the Silver Box and the Tales box sets which had all the singles. Really f*cking took me back. It's just too bad that they couldn't keep musicially into the 90s as by the time 87-88 they were right up there with U2, but i don't think anyone expected U2's direction with Achtung Baby at all, anyone else that was up there with them at that time just couldn't keep up afterwards, and U2 shot into orbit.

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one then!! ;) That singles box you got sounds awesome, I had all their albums at one stage- but lost a few over the years, but recently I came across 'Real Life' and 'Sparkle In the Rain' and like you, they really took me back, and even now I still thought they were awesome albums after listening to them again!! Great band! Like you say, its such a pity that they couldnt hold their own with all that was happening in rock world at the time.... But I do find that anyone who ever liked them once still loves them now- they really stand the test of time well and their songs have a great knack for capturing time & memories! :)

sparkzter wrote: »
    Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one then!! ;) That singles box you got sounds awesome, I had all their albums at one stage- but lost a few over the years, but recently I came across 'Real Life' and 'Sparkle In the Rain' and like you, they really took me back, and even now I still thought they were awesome albums after listening to them again!! Great band! Like you say, its such a pity that they couldnt hold their own with all that was happening in rock world at the time.... But I do find that anyone who ever liked them once still loves them now- they really stand the test of time well and their songs have a great knack for capturing time & memories! :)

The themes set i refer to, there's more info on it here.
    http://www.simple-minds.demon.co.uk/discog/themes.htm

And to be honest, half of the b-sides are waaay better than a lot of the album tracks. Real Life is a horribly underrated album and the band had taken quite a few hits six months leading up to it, being pretty much reduced to a 3 piece along with 2 session musicians to get by, only to have Mel Gaynor leave after the tour for it.

I saw them live on Patricks Night 1995, still have the shirt to this very day during the tour for Good News From The Next World, it would be the last time they would play the Point here as they ended up in the Olympia in either 97 or 98 for Neapolis' tour. Awesome show, they had the Surfing Brides supporting who were a pretty decent support act. Trying to track down their album has proved to be a feat in itself too! :)

• Advertisement

I can definitely say ELO are a guilty pleasure for me, my dad was always playing their records when I was growing up and I've always kind of hated them and loved them at the same time.

Mate of mine got me listening to them when i was about 15. I still listen to Time and Secret Messages, pretty decent albums considering the band were pretty much in their waning years. at the time of release (81 and 83). Jeff Lynne has done sh*tloads since those days as well, between production, occasional solo work and being a Travelling Wilbury.

Advertisement