Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBOX 360 for 50€* from GameStop

• 07-11-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭

Just picked up my copy of Gear2 from GameStop and they had a huge sign in the windows advertising the XBox 360 for only 50€, but here is the catch use have to trade in a Wii & two Wii games.

For anything with a Wii sitting there gathering dust is it a great offer....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You could easily get over €200 for a Wii and 2 games on Adverts.

This Gamestop trade-in stuff is utter crap!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

basquille wrote: »
    You could easily get over €200 for a Wii and 2 games on Adverts.

This Gamestop trade-in stuff is utter crap!
    They always are. Only good if you want it now.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Utterly sh1t deal.

The RRP of the Wii is a lot more than the 360 anyway. That's not including 2 games

And you didn't state what sort of 360 you get?
    I'm guessing an arcade or a 20GB.

The only good thing about Gamestop is(was) buying preowned games to sell on eBay.

All the rare PS1 and PS2 games used pop up in there from time to time.

I made good money doing it, but now they don't do PS1 games anymore, and there's never any good PS2 games in there anymore. Just rows of Fifa 2006 and all that crap. And the euro versus sterling is very poor right now. Also, eBay fees have SHOT up - they'll take nearly 10% of the final value and paypal will take about 4%. awful.

In the PSOne days you could find stuff like Kula World, Tombi, Kurushi Final, etc in there.
    Or the original release of ICO on Ps2 with the art cards. Then they released it and killed the eBay action.
    Pay 10 euro for the game, sell it for 50 sterling when the exhange rate was .6666. 75 euro easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's an awful deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Unless its an elite then its a crap deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

It's a shocking deal that, the Wii is the most sought after console of them all at the moment, you'd be mad to hand it over for so little in return.

Is there an "anti-bargain" forum for offers like this?

A "deal", more like a steal, that's just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This is an absolutely appaling offer.

I can see why there doing it the sneaky c**ts!! There targeting the people(Most people as far as i can see) that only play the wii sparingly. Theyre seeing if they can be tempted into a "proper" console", at a rip off price. Yet, at the same time, they'll be able to sell the second hand wii's they get in, at near rrp price if and when there is a shortage of wii's this Christmas like last Christmas. totally scandalous. I hav'nt bought a game off them in years and this is just another reason to boycott them. This one genuinely makes me angry!!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

art wrote: »
    It's a shocking deal that, the Wii is the most sought after console of them all at the moment

Most sought after and still the most traded in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

they are targeting the parents that bought their kids a wii last christmas and the kids are not interested in it anymore so mammy and daddy think its a good deal to trade it it to get little tommy the xbox360 that he wants this year ,

tell me im not right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Them places are a rip off ,give them nothing and take everything.

daftdave wrote:
    they are targeting the parents that bought their kids a wii last christmas and the kids are not interested in it anymore so mammy and daddy think its a good deal to trade it it to get little tommy the xbox360 that he wants this year ,

tell me im not right
    You're wrong...

.. my son's name is James!

My favourite Gamestop policy is selling preowned games without manual and cover - just the disc in an empty DVD box - for the same price! nothing off whatsoever.

Miserable bloody sods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Thats a pretty dreadful offer. Even if they were offering a 360 for a Wii before the 2 games or €50 itd be pretty bad since the wii is more expensive than the 360 anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Anyone know if its an arcade or pro you get??? If its arcade they'd be totally taking the p*ss altogether

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Anyone know if its an arcade or pro you get??? If its arcade they'd be totally taking the p*ss altogether
    I'd be willing to bet money it's an Arcade Model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Gamestop is indeed the **** tramp of gaming stores.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

jayteecork wrote: »
    My favourite Gamestop policy is selling preowned games without manual and cover - just the disc in an empty DVD box - for the same price! nothing off whatsoever.

Miserable bloody sods.
    ya gamestop gives ya less whan you dont trade in a box what the game i think it is 4 euro less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

what i don't get is how they can sell 2nd hand games and its not deemed piracy.

The developer and publisher is still only getting paid once for their work, yet Gamestop is making money off a copyrighted product.

CDS all the way!

• Advertisement

Well I'm no fan of Gamestop but people don't always take cash for the games they trade in, they use the credit to put toward new games. I'd say it's about 50/50.

When the consumer uses the trade ins to buy new games then the publishers benefit.

So in some cases a brand new game will be sold whereas without Gamestop it wouldn't have happened cause little Johnny couldn't have afforded the game otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

xbox36016 wrote: »
    ya gamestop gives ya less whan you dont trade in a box what the game i think it is 4 euro less

Now you are giving out about Gamestop..Just yestersay you posted praising them :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 John Sheehy

Gamestop are a shower of bastards and their offers are purposely misleading.

I wanted to avail of their trade two games in and get a new one for a tenner, but the games I had were not of sufficient value - they had to be worth 25-30 each in trade in value before I could partake in the offer. This was referenced in tiny 4pt text on the sticker saying Terms and conditions apply.

Which is fair enough I suppose but I went to the website to check the terms and conditions... There weren't anyway. There was a "policy" but this was just an advertisement. I emailed gamestop a week ago to find out what the terms and conditions were (in a calm interested way rather than consumer rage) and I still haven't received an email back.

They have also been fined at least once for misleading advertising of offers and prices.

I would take whatever they say (or offer) with a big pinch of salt. In fact, I wouldn't take anything they say because it has most likely came out of their arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

John, I believe you can post your messages to boards without using profanity to convey your message.

ya gamestop are the bast for 2nd hand games to be far

some buttons missing on your keyboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Proof??..And dont lie please..you have a bad habit of doing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

callaway92, keep your personal issues with xbox36016 off the thread. Thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Doodee wrote: »
    what i don't get is how they can sell 2nd hand games and its not deemed piracy.

Because you bought the game in the first place, therefore you own it and can do anything you like with it including selling it on.

This is no different then you buying a new car and then a few years later sell it or trade it in with a garage, Ford, etc. only get money from the first sale.

• Advertisement

whan i go to gamestop for a 2nd hand game i allways get what i am looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

whan i go to gamestop for a 2nd hand game i allways get what i am looking for

People usually do...But at a fiver less than RRP

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ciano1 wrote: »
    People usually do...But at a fiver less than RRP
    I actually found a brand new copy of enchanted arms cheaper in xtravision than the second hand copy in gamestop. In the end I bought it second hand in smyths for a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I remember buying a game for my friend for 1.99 in Game, it was a game he had actually been looking for and was very hard to find, found it on a bottom shelf and naturally snapped it up in surprise....went into Gamestop, out of curiosity, asked how much it was worth - they offered me 20 cash or 22 credit! Temptation got the better of me....

Probably the only time I've made 1000% profit on anything.

I remember buying a game for my friend for 1.99 in Game, it was a game he had actually been looking for and was very hard to find, found it on a bottom shelf and naturally snapped it up in surprise....went into Gamestop, out of curiosity, asked how much it was worth - they offered me 20 cash or 22 credit! Temptation got the better of me....

You should have offered it to your friend for 25, if he declined then trade it in to gamestop. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Give me 30 and a wii and I'll give you a 360.
    Bet you I'd sill make 30 quid in a private sale.

Imagine what these shams will make at christmas! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not a record tho, I bought a book in a charity shop once for 10c (actually part of 10 for €1), sold it for €25

Advertisement