Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palin 2012?

Options
  • 07-11-2008 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

I know she's quite deluded and the media has created a load of hype around her etc and we all hope she'll never set foot inside of the White House.

But, do you think she will get the Republican nomination and run for Presidency in 2012?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

K4t wrote: »
    I know she's quite deluded
    You have answered your own question?
    K4t wrote: »
    But, do you think she will get the Republican nomination and run for Presidency in 2012?
    Obama-Biden would hope so, given how they won by a landslide victory in both the electoral college and popular vote with Palin on the opposing ticket. Palin would look ridiculous if she brought back Ayers and Wright, or whisper about Obama not being born in the US. And if the economy improves and America is out of Iraq, what will the Pit Bull will Lipstick attack? Certainly she would not address the issues... They are a bit too complex for Northern Exposure Palin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She's not unelectable and made a tremendous impact on this one in so many ways. She'll be around for quite a while. Palin will "go back to school" and learn from what happened to her in this one. She has a formidable personal attraction in some parts of the US and add a little more cop-on, her own campaign control and some better media ability whoever comes up against her in the GOP ranks will have their work cut out for them. That said unless Obama makes a real mess of things he should get his eight years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

is_that_so wrote: »
    She's not unelectable

HAHAHAHA....

Seriously though, I am sure she could get people to vote for her but she certainly isn't going to be the GOP. Not unless the GOP want to elect another democratic president.
    Palin will "go back to school" and learn from what happened to her in this one.

What grade? Some things she needs to learn.
    - Africa isn't a country.
    - Montreal isn't in France.
    - Name at least one newspaper she reads.
    - That another country being close to you doesn't mean you have foreign policy experience.
    - That if a president of another country says "They liked watching nailin palin" that they are probably a prank.
    - Dinosaurs did not live around the same time as humans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Would love to see her picked for 2012.
    That way, again Obama would be assured of winning!

The Republican will have rocks in the head to pick her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Hobbes - you are the funniest

lolol

She did not know where Russia was.

Now - for a governor of a state that is probably the closest .... um

Go figure.

Palin for 2012? If she lives that long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Can Palin see 2012 from Alaska?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

She has a huge popular appeal to large sections of conservative America; enough to see off plenty of other contenders in the 2011-12 Republican primaries.

But unless Obama has seriously screwed up, I can't see her going mainstream. It would be hard to see her being centrist enough to appeal to swing voters and with just the conservative base she would never win a national election; they're aren't enough of them.

Something tells me there are character flaws that could catch her out as well, she seems to have a very Bertie Ahern like relationship with the concept of telling the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

It seems Sarah Palin was a bit miffed that she didn't get to speak at the [very dignified] McCain concession rally; but he could hardly say, '..the failings were mine alone', and then hand the mike to Sarah, as a sight-gag.
    (I'm asking myself; How difficult are the exams to become a Governor of Alaska?)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

(I'm asking myself; How difficult are the exams to become a Governor of Alaska?)
    Doubt that Sarah can see Leaving Cert from Alaska. Maybe she could get cheat cards from her neighbors the Ruskies (just like the cards she shuffled behind the podium during her debate with Biden?). Or how about the use of technology, like a teleprompter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I can see belgium from my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nickpr53

I will be amazed beyond belief at American stupidity if they even nominate her. she is retarded. period. Check her out!
    http://www.spinwhip.com/palin

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

BenjAii wrote: »
    She has a huge popular appeal to large sections of conservative America; enough to see off plenty of other contenders in the 2011-12 Republican primaries.

But unless Obama has seriously screwed up, I can't see her going mainstream. It would be hard to see her being centrist enough to appeal to swing voters and with just the conservative base she would never win a national election; they're aren't enough of them.

Something tells me there are character flaws that could catch her out as well, she seems to have a very Bertie Ahern like relationship with the concept of telling the truth.

+1

She's being lionised by Fox and the right wing media to such an extent that she may become a conservative pundit and maybe even host her own show? (she was a sports journalist on tv at one stage)

i agree with BenjAii though, she wont have mainstream support from even her
    own party and is therefore unlikely to ever appeal to moderates and independents.

Also, her recent comments on the media attacking her made her look very bitter and angry and didn't do her any good. She needs to build a bridge! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

Obama-Biden would hope so, given how they won by a landslide victory in both the electoral college and popular vote.

Popular vote result : Obama 53% McCain 46%
    I would not call that a landslide result.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

i would call it a landslide result for the Democrats. Obama won 8 million more votes, took back several States won by Bush in '04 and lost no Kerry States. They also gained 26 seats in Congress (6 Senate, 20 House of Representatives)!

Okay, it's not like the LBJ landslide of 1964 (which was very much a reaction to the murder of JFK the year before), or the huge victories won by Eisenhower in the '50s. But it's the biggest win in a US Election for 40 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

The Republicans really shouldn't be looking to Palin in 2012. They could become like the Tories in England after New Labours win in 1997 and get lost in their conservatism by going for Palin. They would be in disarray in that event.

The only chance of a quick recovery for the GOP is to look towards the centre and try to capture a candidate of similar energy and motivational as Barack Obama. The chances of this are slim and it could be a term or two beyond 2016 by the time they recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

A mormon, a dumb celebrity girl, or an ex film star will be one of the GOP candidates for 2012.

Lets not kid ourselves, image and godliness appeal much more to the rednecks than experience, statesmanship and intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

She's still a milf though, looking forward to watching nalin palin later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

RichTea wrote: »
    The Republicans really shouldn't be looking to Palin in 2012. They could become like the Tories in England after New Labours win in 1997 and get lost in their conservatism by going for Palin. They would be in disarray in that event.

The only chance of a quick recovery for the GOP is to look towards the centre and try to capture a candidate of similar energy and motivational as Barack Obama. The chances of this are slim and it could be a term or two beyond 2016 by the time they recover.

That's pretty much it. It's interesting the way Fox news turned on her so quickly, by releasing the stories about her lack of knowledge. It seems clear to me that they and probably most sensible republicans(i.e more central) want her out of the picture. Even the way she is talking about 2012 is all wrong. Talking up the need of a woman in the white house isn't how to do it, Obama is the perfect example of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

http://www.therealright.com/blog/content/id_37924/title_5-Reasons-Sarah-Palin-Would-Lose-a-2012-Presidential-Bid/

Reason Number 1: Too Many Better Candidates
    Reason Number 2: The Primary Process Has A Heavy Debate Emphasis
    Reason Number 3: The GOP Favors Candidates Who’ve Sought the Presidency Before
    Reason Number 4: Barack Obama Already Defeated Sarah Palin
    Reason Number 5: Palin Has Enough Baggage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Trojan wrote: »
    http://www.therealright.com/blog/content/id_37924/title_5-Reasons-Sarah-Palin-Would-Lose-a-2012-Presidential-Bid/

Reason Number 1: Too Many Better Candidates
    Reason Number 2: The Primary Process Has A Heavy Debate Emphasis
    Reason Number 3: The GOP Favors Candidates Who’ve Sought the Presidency Before
    Reason Number 4: Barack Obama Already Defeated Sarah Palin
    Reason Number 5: Palin Has Enough Baggage

All good reasons and all reasons that will not be considered by the Palinstinians. Mitt Romney would probably be the most likely GOP candidate for next time round at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'd love to see Charlie Crist run, he'd get my vote (if only that were possible).

Won't happen though, for obvious reasons. We'll see Romney again though, slimeball though he is. Palin will havehte advantage of

a) Being a chick, and can say 'Don't you dare patronise me mister', and
    b) Having 4 years to practise

She'd kill Romney in Iowa and the early primaries where it's all town hall, but he'd kick her ass with his millions coming up to super tuesday and after.

I get the impression that Romney wants it bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Considering large chunks of the Republican party place the blame on Palin for losing this election so badly I doubt they'd be in a hurry to nominate her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Unlike most of my friends and other replies here I think she could be the nominee and could be a good threat to obama in 2012.
    I'm not sure about the middle 5-6% supporting her , but if the economy is ok by 2012 , and the reps start throwing dirt about , she might have a chance.
    I find she has a certain charm , bit like reagan , bit like bertie , in that she doesn't try to be consistent in what she says or say anything serious apart from nice phrases and soundbites.

InReality wrote: »
    but if the economy is ok by 2012
    Obama will be reelected. If the economy is in the dumpster, then he will be replaced. Goes with the famous expression that most forgot when they thought the Republicans had a chance winning the White House this year..."It's the economy stupid!" As for Palin, I hope she stays in the press between now and then for a good laugh. Obama is too stiff and serious for SNL or Jay Leno material.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

CtrlSource wrote: »
    i would call it a landslide result for the Democrats. Obama won 8 million more votes, took back several States won by Bush in '04 and lost no Kerry States. They also gained 26 seats in Congress (6 Senate, 20 House of Representatives)!

Okay, it's not like the LBJ landslide of 1964 (which was very much a reaction to the murder of JFK the year before), or the huge victories won by Eisenhower in the '50s. But it's the biggest win in a US Election for 40 years

I hate to be a pedant, but Nixon and Reagan won in 1972 and 1984 by greater margins than LBJ in 1964.

Regarding Palin, I don't think she has a credible chance in 2012. The GOP will undergo a long period of soul-searching, and will most likely come to the conclusion that concentrating on so-called "values voters" (those obsessed with God, Guns and Gays) has reduced the Republicans to a rural and regional party, a party that speaks for a shrinking minority of Americans. The atmosphere in the Republican party in 2012 will not exactly be conducive to a Palin run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Melange wrote: »
    I hate to be a pedant, but Nixon and Reagan won in 1972 and 1984 by greater margins than LBJ in 1964.

I think the full quote is actually that its the largest margin of victory for a first term president since LBJ in 64 - seeing as 72 and 84 were both second term victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Bobby Jindal or Romney I'd say, Palin hasnt a sniff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Naw, we won't see the same players again.
    If they failed to win the Republican nomination, and are not media celebrities thereafter, it's the dustbin of history for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement