Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palin 2012?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Donegal would seem to share a lot with Alaska, maybe it is the Alaska of Ireland? I think you've been proving Blue's point rather than your own for the last while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

...Spanish? Until this year, no passport required for Mexico.

There's always Miami, Florida.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

And Puerto Rico as well, while I think of it.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

...and SoCal, South Texas, New Mexico, Arizona...

Nationwide: ~35,000,000 speakers all told.

Your average Castilian may not refer to it as Spanish though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I fail to see that the citation of your degrees or the claim that you are an alumni of a known "East Coast institution" lends any merit to your argument.
    Not my source. Where have I specifically cited it in this thread? I also fail to see how this adds merit to your argument. Is there something of substance that I am missing in this statement Dr donegalfella?

Only Manic Moran has challenged the comparison I have drawn between 2 term Wasilla Mayor Sarah Palin and 2 term US President GW Bush, in terms of leaving their respective positions as the chief executive in more debt than when they began, contrary to the so called historic Republican campaign platform of fiscal responsibility. I will address Captain Manic Moran's argument when time permits, as I have other obligations of higher priority than this thread. And if there is merit to my argument of fiscal irresponsibility for both Sarah Palin and GW Bush (which you have generally ignored or discounted in your posts), then it may indeed reflect upon Sarah Palin's future 2012 bid for the highest executive office in the United States, especially if the Republicans rediscover their old position of fiscal responsibility in future campaigns?

Wait. Why have I been bolded? Am I in trouble or something?

NTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Wait. Why have I been bolded? Am I in trouble or something?
    Indeed! You're always in trouble with me (but that's the way you like it!).:cool:

**Blue cruises off central Cal coast with USS Missouri (BB63), aiming to make a 16 inch point, while Capt Moran rides around in his tiny tank... Yuk, should of gotten all the moth balls out of this ship before sailing!**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

A bit of a non-sequitor, that, isn't it? There's no reason to believe that the average Irish person is any more aware of what goes on in Alaska than the average Alaskan knows what's going on in Ireland.

At the larger level, there's no reason to believe that the average Irish person knows any more about what's going on about the US than the average Alaskan knows about what's going on in the major countries of Europe. (The problem affecting the Alaskan is that there is no real Federal European government to keep track of: an American trying to keep track of Europe needs to keep a hold of dozens of governments, and will probably only focus on the big ones like UK, France and Germany).

Simply bandying stats about passport percentages in the various countries as is commonly done proves little. Americans just have less need of them. If you want to go anywhere in Europe more than 200 miles from your home in Ireland, you need a passport. Skiing trip? Passport. Sunbathing on the beach? Passport. Want to go where they speak French? Passport. Want to go where they speak Spanish? Passport.

On the other hand, an Alaskan can go several thousand miles without need of one. Want to go skiing? No passport for Colorado. Sunbathing? No passport for Hawaii. French? Until this year, no passport required for Qubec. Spanish? Until this year, no passport required for Mexico. You could get from the Carribean Islands to the South Pacific with a US Driver's license. And that's not counting the several millions of Americans who go live in other countries like Japan, Korea, Germany, Australia etc for a year or three without a passport because they're in the military. I think you'll find Americans tend to be a lot better travelled and aware of the outside world than you give credit for.

NTM

Having the ability to travel large distances with only a drivers' licence ≠ to being well travelled and well aware of the world outside The States.

Whilst true, the statement was a couter to the oft-heard conclusion that since many Americans don't have passports, many Americans don't have a clue about the outside world. Really, just how much knowledge does one get of the outside world by travelling to Rome for a week from Dublin vs travelling to Montreal for a week from Iowa? Both are thousand mile trips to quite different places from home. Neither is particularly relevant to knowing what's going on in Central Africa, and for both Europeans and Americans, it just comes down to hitting books or the Web. Most Canadians don't have a passport either, for much the same reasons as Americans, but as nobody has a pre-conceived notion of Canadians being ignorant of the world, nobody seems to bring that up as an argument.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Obama mention's taking cocaine in one of his books. I don't think thats the sort of think anyone who was intent on "saying the right thing" in order to be president would mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Most Canadians don't have a passport either, for much the same reasons as Americans, but as nobody has a pre-conceived notion of Canadians being ignorant of the world, nobody seems to bring that up as an argument.
    NTM

That is coz nobody cares enough about the Canadians to bother talking about them :D

To me it is all about intelligence. I don't think any one president is going to "destroy" American as some people seem to think or change the whole belief system of the country. Therefore it comes down to who is best qualified to "steer the ship" and fire fight the numerous problems that exist and will come up over a 4 year period.

To do that I still firmly believe that the President of the United States needs to be a highly intelligent individual. That pretty much rules out over 60% (rough guess) of the population (that applies to any country and not just America by the way before anyone thinks I am stereotyping Americans as dumb...I know from experience that they are not). That 60% who IMHO woud be incapable of running a country the size of America most definitely includes Palin from what I have seen of her (same goes for Bush).

Obama comfortably meets the intelligence requirement as far as I am concerned. McCain does not which is the main reason I wanted Obama to win. If Romney had been the republican nom things may have been different. I didn't see enough of him to know for sure but I would like to see more of him next time round.

Of the rest of the losers this time, Clinton definitely meets the requirement. Huckabee...hmmm..I really like him and his attitude to life BUT some of his views are a bit "old school". I know I shouldn't judge people by how they perform on John Stewards show but Huckabee was really bad on it last week. His saying that it is wrong to withhold rights from blacks because they are born that way but it is ok to withhold rights from gays implied that being gay is a lifestyle choice...erm okayyy..

Anyway, it is early and I am rambling now so I'll shut up.

Yeah... Palin gets beat upon, but princess Caroline will be bestowed a US Senate seat based solely on the name Kennedy (notice how she has now dropped Schlossberg).

No outrage… how odd? The hypocrisy smells all the way across the pond.

I think there is a resolution in the process that makes it mandatory to always have an active Kennedy in the Senate.

(God... this place has become boring)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Yeah... Palin gets beat upon, but princess Caroline will be bestowed a US Senate seat based solely on the name Kennedy (notice how she has now dropped Schlossberg).

I think there is a resolution in the process that makes it mandatory to always have an active Kennedy in the Senate.

Yeah, I don't really understand the logic (?) behind giving her the senate seat.

That said, firstly, there has been comment from left-leaning newscasters (Olbermann, at any rate) about same; secondly, she doesn't seem as much of a deluded idiot as Palin; and thirdly, no-one has (as far as I know) suggested she could be VP, or run for president.

You're from the US right? If you live in a two party state you have to get used to nepotism and dynasties. Gotta start thinking outside the box if you don't want people being voted in on name alone!

Do you really need to contradict everything I say? The phrase 2 and a half party system has been used to describe Irish politics for a long time now. I doubt in your constituency there is even a half party challenger?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

If I was an American, the only outrage I would have over this is the stupid practise of GIVING a senate seat to someone. If a senator (or congressman leaves) then there should be a by-election immediately. The practise of just giving the seat to someone is totally undemocratic and in case anyone hasn't noticed, wide open to abuse!

Yet there is no outrage over that from the most democratic country in the world...how odd? The hypocrisy smells all the way across the pond.

I agree, but at least they are ELECTED by the people.

Ludo wrote: »
    If I was an American, the only outrage I would have over this is the stupid practise of GIVING a senate seat to someone. If a senator (or congressman leaves) then there should be a by-election immediately. The practise of just giving the seat to someone is totally undemocratic and in case anyone hasn't noticed, wide open to abuse!

Yet there is no outrage over that from the most democratic country in the world...how odd? The hypocrisy smells all the way across the pond.

You’re right. There should not be appointments for elected offices. These open Senate seats should remain open until a special election can take place, or if it is cost prohibitive... then the next scheduled election. For essential and important government positions, provisions should be made for representative succession (like that of Governor Sarah Palin... the open position would have gone to the Lieutenant Governor). No hypocrisy here… most US citizens despise the appointment process.

Were I live, our very well liked and respected State Senator James Rhoades died in a car accident 3 weeks before this past election. We voted him posthumously into office so that a special election could take place, rather than putting into office someone the people really didn’t want.

Actually... there should be no open US Senate seat in New York. At this time, Hillary Clinton is is constitutionally ineligible to serve as Secretary of State under Article I, section 6 of the U.S. Constitution... which provides "No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States, which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been encreased during such time." But I wouldn't let someting as trivial as our US Constitution get in the way of Obama's plans.
    http://www.judicialwatch.org/news/2008/dec/judicial-watch-announces-hillary-clinton-constitutionally-ineligible-serve-secretary-s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Really would have expected much worse from the Washington COMPost. But Parker did hit the nail on the head with “The girl-child of Camelot, Kennedy was to the political manner born and heiress to a famous brand.” Looks like Kathleen Parker is back on the Washington cocktail party list. But none of it matters, Kenny will receive the coronation... there are different standards for liberals and conservatives over here.

Really would have expected much worse from the Washington COMPost. But Parker did hit the nail on the head with “The girl-child of Camelot, Kennedy was to the political manner born and heiress to a famous brand.” Looks like Kathleen Parker is back on the Washington cocktail party list. But none of it matters, Kenny will receive the coronation... there are different standards for liberals and conservatives over here.

*cough* Bush dynasty *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

It is funny how some Liberal slanted journalists are overlooking that fact. I'm glad Rudy Guilianni called Alan Colmes [a news anchor on Fox News that is liberal slanted] on that.
    Mad Hatter wrote:
    That said, firstly, there has been comment from left-leaning newscasters (Olbermann, at any rate) about same; secondly, she doesn't seem as much of a deluded idiot as Palin

She's a Kennedy. Being a deluded idiot runs in their family. She actually said in an interview that being a mother was enough experience to be a Senator.
    You're from the US right? If you live in a two party state you have to get used to nepotism and dynasties. Gotta start thinking outside the box if you don't want people being voted in on name alone!

I hate to break it to you but Ireland seems to be a ONE Party system. Fianna Fall and then whoever they decide to throw a bone too [this time round the Green Party]

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you but Ireland seems to be a ONE Party system. Fianna Fall and then whoever they decide to throw a bone too [this time round the Green Party]

Well firstly that would make it a two party system. Secondly I acknowledged the obvious flaws in the Irish two and a half party system as it is commonly known. I know all about the problems of nepotism and dynasties in our politics, thank you very much. Wouldn't have thought it was necessary to explicitly acknowledge such a thing to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Well firstly that would make it a two party system. Secondly I acknowledged the obvious flaws in the Irish two and a half party system as it is commonly known. I know all about the problems of nepotism and dynasties in our politics, thank you very much.

Technically its still aone party system if the people are only voting for them time and again.

• Advertisement

FFS, technically my ass, There was a FG and Lab government in the nineties, and each FF coalition has been different since then. You just can't admit when you make even the smallest error. A one party system would be the USSR. Which Ireland is not.

Advertisement