Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff Beer.

• 07-11-2008 7:42pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Saw a feature in today's Mirror(I didn't buy it!) about Duff beer being a big seller in Ireland right now.

anyone know where to buy some in Cork as I've never seen it.
    Tagged:

Comments

They had it up in the franciscan well during their beerfest. I didn't try it myself but the brother did and he said it was manky. They probably have it in the abbots alehouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A friend told me it's simply Tuborg repackaged.
    I had a bottle of it, didn't taste great, but not as bad as Tuborg IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Don't bother. It's awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 evoimajica

I bought a six bottle pack of duff beer in the off lisence in clonakilty.. they still have some left but it is selling fast! it tastes pretty good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

i cnt seem to find this anywhere!!!tried everywhere in palmerstown lucan and clondalkin area!!anyone know where i could get it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

When you do find it, buy one or two bottles for the novelty factor, then spend your money more wisely on better beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Failed Salesman

I'm assuming this is a type of American lager, marketed as the simpsons brand to sell more?

Or am I way off?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm assuming this is a type of American lager, marketed as the simpsons brand to sell more?
    I don't think it's particularly American: it's just generic yellow fizz, brewed in Belgium under licence from a Mexican company with a rather liberal approach to trademark laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    I don't think it's particularly American: it's just generic yellow fizz, brewed in Belgium under licence from a Mexican company with a rather liberal approach to trademark laws.

I think they me in the style of mass produced American pilsner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

When are they going to market Shellbyville's own 'Fudd'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,951 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

but shouldnt it be copyrighted by matt groening?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Bob Z wrote: »
    but shouldnt it be copyrighted by matt groening?

It's offically licensed I think.

duff%20closeup.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

it's not licensed. matt groening said a few years that he'd never license it, as the simpsons is a family show watched by kids.

some mexican dude copyrighted duff under very lax mexican copyright laws and licensed it to some belgians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

funktastic wrote: »

Didn't that make all the hillbillies go blind?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tooler2000

Or am I way off?

Your way off mate... Its a Czech Pils, brewed in one of the largest brewerys in Belgium. The beer is brewed to suit the brand, not the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The Abott Ale House on Devonshire St in Cork sell this beer. I've not tried it but two of my friends have and its not good at all supposedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Funny, i saw it for sale in the Spar in Milltown in Dublin (opposite where Glenmalure Park used to be) last saturday eve as i headed into the Leinster v Dragons game to buy a sneaky baby powers. The guy behind the counter said it was flying out the door. I'd imagine the stuff is muck

PS : BTW the baby powers saved my life, it must have gotten down to minus four at the match, frooze my sorry ass off !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Funny, i saw it for sale in the Spar in Milltown in Dublin (opposite where Glenmalure Park used to be) last saturday eve as i headed into the Leinster v Dragons game to buy a sneaky baby powers. The guy behind the counter said it was flying out the door. I'd imagine the stuff is muck

PS : BTW the baby powers saved my life, it must have gotten down to minus four at the match, froooooze my sorry ass off !

• Advertisement

garbanzo wrote: »
    PS : BTW the baby powers saved my life, it must have gotten down to minus four at the match, froooooze my sorry ass off !

I doubt it as alcohol will drop your core body temp very significantly and will give a false scene of warmth , an its not uncommon that people who have died of hypothermia are found naked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

the silver granite in palmerstown had it the weekend but it sold out in about a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

cos!! wrote: »
    i cnt seem to find this anywhere!!!tried everywhere in palmerstown lucan and clondalkin area!!anyone know where i could get it??
    Spar Gleneaston Leixlip.

Just got some and gave a bottle to my friend with an umlaut on it.

Düff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

saw it and had to buy it, i mean come on, Duff! wont buy it again though

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

It's odd that they think its origin in "The Simpsons" is a recommendation. Anybody who watches the Simpsons will know that the beer is represented in the programme as a bog-standard,over-promoted, corporate, characterless drink, somewhat like Budweiser. So Homer drinks it..sure he will drink anything. He's not choosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wanrek

Its €14 for 6 bottles of cats pi55 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

funktastic wrote: »

I thought they took that off th market after all those hillbillys went blind :confused:

;)

Never knew this stuff was on sale! Would make a great Chistmas present at least. They should have released Duff Stout here :P (the drink that put Ireland on the map, as Duffman once said :D )

Anybody who watches the Simpsons will know that the beer is represented in the programme as a bog-standard,over-promoted, corporate, characterless drink, somewhat like Budweiser

Yeah, screw Bud. Sure, it might be refreshing when served ice cold, it might have a crisp, clean taste, but because it sells so well it is clearly muck.

:rolleyes:

I always find it somewhat ironic that Budweiser and Budvar taste almost identical, except that Budvar has a very moderately stronger kick to it (think Budvar might be 5.3% or something, which explains it), yet because one is from the Czech Rep it is nectar from the gods whilst the other is only for yank college students etc etc etc. Embarassing really.

*waits for some self styled expert to come in talking about rice and rotten spuds and god knows what*

shane86 wrote: »
    I always find it somewhat ironic that Budweiser and Budvar taste almost identical
    They really really don't. They also look very different: Budvar is dark gold while Bud is a pale yellow. Bud is made with rice and lagered, on sawdust, for about three days. Budvar contains no rice or other adjuncts and is matured for a full 90 days to round out the flavour.

But if Bud floats your boat, then enjoy it. No point in trading up if you don't get your money's worth.

And I think Yank college students prefer Pabst Blue Ribbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

oblivious wrote: »
    I doubt it as alcohol will drop your core body temp very significantly and will give a false scene of warmth , an its not uncommon that people who have died of hypothermia are found naked
    er....could it possibly be the other way around. That people naked have died from hypothermia!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yeah, screw Bud. Sure, it might be refreshing when served ice cold, it might have a crisp, clean taste, but because it sells so well it is clearly muck.
    Yes that's why people don't like it.

The stuff tastes like dirty cabbage dishwater.
    I always find it somewhat ironic that Budweiser and Budvar taste almost identical, except that Budvar has a very moderately stronger kick to it (think Budvar might be 5.3% or something, which explains it), yet because one is from the Czech Rep it is nectar from the gods whilst the other is only for yank college students etc etc etc. Embarassing really.

*waits for some self styled expert to come in talking about rice and rotten spuds and god knows what*
    It's clear that you pay very little attention to what you drink. That's fine. You don't appreciate good beer but you like to drink. I don't think anyone need to talk to you about rice or the Reinheitsgebot because you don't care. You'll go back to paying top dollar for cheap swill. Fair play. It's a free country. I might not respect your opinion, but I respect your right to have it.

Sean_K wrote: »
    The stuff tastes like dirty cabbage dishwater
    I disagree. I know someone who worked in the Diageo plant in Kilkenny who told me that the Bud team work very very hard and take enormous care to ensure that it tastes of absolutely nothing. Though the upshot of that is that it becomes very sensitive to bad beer lines or a dirty glass which may be where your dishwater comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I disagree. I know someone who worked in the Diageo plant in Kilkenny who told me that the Bud team work very very hard and take enormous care to ensure that it tastes of absolutely nothing. Though the upshot of that is that it becomes very sensitive to bad beer lines or a dirty glass which may be where your dishwater comes in.

It could be that, now that you say it. Sometimes it's so bad that I can't even finish the drink.

Technically its can be one of the hardest beers to brew to obtain a flawless finish that its absent of hop, malt and yeast flavor/aromas. They will do a phenomenal amount of batch control and blending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Shouldn't it be Düff?

Sometimes it's so bad that I can't even finish the drink.
    Going out on a limb here, and I don't mean to intrude or anything, but have you considered ordering something else? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Floyd

Had to try it for the Novelty value, I'm a big Simpsons fan but this stuff is awful, bought 4 and could only barely drink 2, never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Yes that's why people don't like it.

The stuff tastes like dirty cabbage dishwater.

Really?

I would imagine dirty dishwater has some type of back of the throat uck taste to it, yet the main complaint about Bud is its apparent lack of any taste. Make up your minds.

Bud bitching always reminds me of a bit in one of the papers months back where they got a few self styled vodka experts/writers to do various blind tests. On offer was maybe Smirnoff, another popular one like Finlandia, a hard to obtain but highly regarded Russian or Polish vodka and one or two supermarket own brand ones, and only one of the apparent experts was able to classify the fine from the populist and the muck. Some of the others gave high ratings to the wino specials :pac:
    It's clear that you pay very little attention to what you drink. That's fine. You don't appreciate good beer but you like to drink.

I will drink most beers. tbh the only beer I wont drink for free is Fink Brau, Prazky and Tooheys New (a dirt cheap popular Australian brand of toilet water, the worst beer ever invented without a shadow of a doubt). It is fine to dislike Bud- to base that dislike on their corporate position is the height of pretentiousness. However, I cant be arsed arguing with people who probably believe the stories about what McDonalds staff do to the mayonaisse, so I will leave it at that.
    I don't think anyone need to talk to you about rice or the Reinheitsgebot because you don't care. You'll go back to paying top dollar for cheap swill.

Top dollar?

The only really decent beer widely available in this country cheaper than the big brands are Warsteiner, Bavaria, Tyskie and, if it takes your fancy, Lech (Lech is more of a Carlsberg mans beer. Not bad, but I wouldnt be buying it much). The rest in my local offys are pretty muck.

So is Duff limited edition stuff for Christmas? Dunnes selling it? REALLY want to get some :) (if its sh1te it makes for a good christmas present ;) )

The only really decent beer widely available in this country cheaper than the big brands are Warsteiner, Bavaria, Tyskie and, if it takes your fancy, Lech (Lech is more of a Carlsberg mans beer. Not bad, but I wouldnt be buying it much). The rest in my local offys are pretty muck.

They are all lager's and euro lagers at that, fancy steeping over to the ale side of life;)

Advertisement