Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland crime, testing the limits of the Irish Criminal Law?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    "More of the same" ??? It's never been tried in this country!

If you are convicted of a s.15A offence, there is a presumptive minimum sentence of 10 years. For a second offence there is a mandatory minimum of 10 years.
    The Gardai are doing their job alright, but the courts are screwing it up with suspended sentences and the do-gooders are making sure that prison is no longer a punishment, with better food, recreational facilities and conditions than most of us have :mad:

The problem here is that the newspapers report suspended sentences but ignore the heavy sentences that are handed out daily. Go down to the four courts and listen to some of the sentences. After a while, you will realise that suspended sentences are the exception rather than the rule, and this is particularly the case with violent and gang related crime. As regards the prisons, I wouldn't say that prisoners have better conditions than most of us; I'd rather live in a council estate on the dole than in a prison with prison fare.
    If we followed the American "chain-gang" concept we could get essential cleaning and hedge-trimming, etc done, and if we made half of them work nights we could double the amount of them that the jails could cope with.

I agree that we should have increased community service provisions, where someone would have to work say 20 hours a week for a year. As for chain gangs, I would be wary of taking violent and dangerous criminals out of prison, but giving them some work to do in the prisons wouldn't be a bad idea. However, if it is more expensive to make them work than to let them rot in prison, then I'm not sure it's worth it.
    Of course, allowing the Gardai to shoot the scum would also be a bonus....

As soon as the gardai are provided with an individual Scum-o-matic 4000 (identifies who is scum and who is not for a 4km radius, results guaranteed*) then it shouldn't be a problem.

*results not guaranteed, if the Scum-o-matic 4000 identifies actual scum that is a mere co-incidence.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

magick wrote: »
    i do think the police are doing their best but really theirs no laws to back them up, or given that usually cime gets a slap on thw wrist here, i read the papers and listen to the radio and its really awful to hear the state we are in. Times like this i wish the guillotine was an option for crime.

There is law to back it up, and serious criminals rarely get a slap on the wrist. If you spent more time watching court cases rather than believing what's in the papers you might have a better idea of what goes on.

The guillotine is a good example of this type of justice - vigilante, reactionary, oppressive, tyrannical.

Advertisement