Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bt Broadband using usb connection

Options
  • 07-11-2008 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

OK basicly im with bt and have the voyager 210 which only has one ethernet socket. Its becoming a pain having to unplug the pc ethernet cable from the modem evertime i want to play the ps3 online and then visa versa when i want to use the pc again. So i was wondering if i could leave the ps3 connected using the ethernat cable and then set up the pc to use the usb cable supplied. And would i loose any data transfer speed using the usb cable compared to the ethernet cable

Thanks in advance for any replys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

you could get a modem with a 4 port switch built in , can have up to 4 items connected then . Get a wireless one and you can increase that.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

you could get a modem with a 4 port switch built in , can have up to 4 items connected then . Get a wireless one and you can increase that.

Long term i Know this is the best way for a setup but funds are short at the mo. And im wondering if what i ask is possible and again what sort of data speed loss if any can i expect with the usb cable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yes you can. Run the PC on USB and PS3 on Ethernet. If your bb is 3mb, having files downloading on the PC and PS3 Playing online games then they will take from each other and will vary round the 1.5mb per item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I've had fairly bad evperiences with connecting computer's to usb ports on router/modems.

Ethernet is a lot more stable.

cheers for the reply danno i only have 1meg at the mo. is there much of a difference in speed between the usb and the ethernet cable for the pc. will rarely be using the pc and ps3 at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There should be no difference between speeds on the USB connection and Ethernet. However, back when I used to use a USB connection on BT broadband, the USB connection was very unstable. That's the only potential problem I can see. Just don't have the PS3 and PC in use at the same time, as the PC will interfere with the game play.

cheers jor el. if i connect the pc to the net using the usb is it hard to set it up for ethernet again at a later stage

Advertisement