Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone to start car in Galway city

Options
  • 07-11-2008 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi There,

Just went out to start my car to go home for the weekend and found the battery flat.(light left on)
    I don't have or know anyone with jump leads and anywhere I could buy them is closed.
    Is there any garage that does a cheep call out service for these sort of things.

emphasis on the cheep as well if it's going to cost me more than 20 or 30 I'll just wait until the morning and buy some in town.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Is it totally flat?

If not, get a few mates and give it a push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

Avns1s wrote: »
    Is it totally flat?

If not, get a few mates and give it a push.

I'm talking totally flat so probably wont even spark.

Ahh..I've confined myself to a few beer's and possibly a lark around town later and suddenly It's not seeming so bad at all now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I'm talking totally flat so probably wont even spark.

Ahh..I've confined myself to a few beer's and possibly a lark around town later and suddenly It's not seeming so bad at all now

Well they do say "every cloud......."

Hope you get it sorted tomorrow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭brutes

Try Advance Ballybane they ve a guy who they use on call out basis can start cars - biggest pair of jump leads youll ever see - or City recovery services liosbaun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

U, just get some lads to push it... as long as yer pushin' the alternator will spin to regardless of the deadness of the battery a good push will get it started

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Put it into second gear, turn the key to "on", put your foot on the clutch. Off with the handbrake and get pushed or let it roll down hill, gather a bit of speed and take the foot off the clutch. The word speed is a bit misleading, it should start up even if your wheels rotate fully as little as once or twice.

Might as well throw this in because a lot of people jump start cars in the wrong way,
    Connect the cables like this:

Connect the Positive(+) on the DEAD battery to the Positive(+) on the GOOD battery

Connect the Negative(-) on the GOOD battery to the "engine block" of the car with the DEAD battery. Just clip the cable to some unpainted metal of the frame of the dead car.

Connecting Negative to Negative is WRONG.

Although explaining to someone that they are connecting the cables wrong when they're giving me a jump seems to insult them / piss them off so I leave them at it.

In theory you should start the GOOD car, leave the connections as they are for 10 mins or so, remove the cables then try start the DEAD car. But that's not likely to work on a totally dead battery and is boring.

So just start the GOOD car, wait a min or two, and then try to DEAD car. Remove cables in reverse order.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So just start the GOOD car, wait a min or two, and then try to DEAD car. Remove cables in reverse order.

And then drive the UNDEAD car around for 20-30 minutes, so it gets a chance to re-charge itself. Nothing funnier than watching someone go to all the trouble of getting jump-started, and then turn of the ignition 'cos there's something else they need to do before leaving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement