Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In praise of Damien Dempsey

Options
  • 07-11-2008 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

I played Damo’s “Shots” album I hadn’t played in a long time, what a great album. I think in these recessionary times, artists like this will shine through. What think ye?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Why will they shine now there's a recession? Is it because people will have more suicidal tendencies than before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

What makes you say that? His songs are the from underdog’s point of view, looking to better himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Sorry, he gets a thumbs down from me. Just a drunken fart playing acoustic guitar badly. Shane McGowan, he aint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

spadder wrote: »
    What makes you say that? His songs are the from underdog’s point of view, looking to better himself.

Really? I thought he was just a crusty busker who happened to get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

His voice goes through my head and the songs are pretty shite too. Living off the 'working class hero' image.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sloppydrunk

Hes an Irish living Legend...........He will be around long after his critics are silenced

GERRUP:D!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Hes an Irish living Legend...........He will be around long after his critics are silenced

GERRUP:D!!!!!!

Eeeeeeh, okay then...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

An absolutely wonderful songwriter and performer.
    In a music scene full of effeminate posers and indie chin-stroking it's a relief to have a perfomer devoid of the bullsh1t.
    I can understand why some might be thrown off by his voice though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Glassheart wrote: »
    In a music scene full of effeminate posers and indie chin-stroking it's a relief to have a perfomer devoid of the bullsh1t.
    I can understand why some might be thrown off by his voice though...

I agree, however it's a pity he's also completely devoid of talent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

How does it go again?

Rollin do-win to dubalin to-win, comin from da noirth soide, headin south bo-wound.

He reminds me of a bad extra from a Rossa O Carrol-Kelly book.

But live and let live as James Bond says right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

What an album love shots!!! especially Patience and paddys day!!!! TUNE!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Seize the Day is a much better collection of songs IMO. Lot of hate for the man here for some reason (social as well as musical snobbery I'd imagine)...sure, he might sing like a tinker but he has a passion and a belief in what he's singing and for me at least that comes across and adds energy and life to the songs...they may be a bit on the grim side, but the guy is telling stories and he tells them well. We need more of his ilk and less of the navel gazers IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I met him once through a mutual friend and was really afraid he'd be cool so I'd feel bad for hating his tunes. Thank god himself (and his mates) were dicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

lordgoat wrote: »
    How does it go again?

Rollin do-win to dubalin to-win, comin from da noirth soide, headin south bo-wound.

==>I'm no big dempsey fan, but you can hardly expect him to sing like Daniel o'Donnell can you?

I think the reason people dont take such a liking to him is because its clear he goes out of his way to fit a stereotype.

However, himself and Aslan;all the scumbags love 'em - I don't know why but they do.

ZakAttak wrote: »
    I think the reason people dont take such a liking to him is because its clear he goes out of his way to fit a stereotype.

However, himself and Aslan;all the scumbags love 'em - I don't know why but they do.

The main reason people don't like him is pure snobbery which you have perfectly illustrated above.

What's the stereotype?

What's the stereotype?

I thought that if I had an acoustic guitar/then it meant that you were a Protest Singer/ Oh, I can smile about it now/ but at the time it was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

The main reason people don't like him is pure snobbery which you have perfectly illustrated above.

What's the stereotype?

I don't like him because of his serious talent shortage. I couldn't care less about his perceived social class.

What's the stereotype?

Rough voiced, heavy drinkin, fightin' Irish - all that sh1te. Its much more difficult to develop your won persona and characteristics then it is to conform to another one and behave the way people expect you to behave.

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Rough voiced, heavy drinkin, fightin' Irish - all that sh1te. Its much more difficult to develop your won persona and characteristics then it is to conform to another one and behave the way people expect you to behave.

He's actually very sensitive! :pac:

I can't agree with your post.I think he is a completely unique personality in Irish music.For him to 'conform' would be for him to sound like Paddy Casey,Damien Rice and all those other Irish bedwetters.

I think it took a lot of balls for him to not refine his singing voice which he could easily have done.What you see is what you get.

He's actually very sensitive! :pac:

I can't agree with your post.I think he is a completely unique personality in Irish music.For him to 'conform' would be for him to sound like Paddy Casey,Damien Rice and all those other Irish bedwetters.

I think it took a lot of balls for him to not refine his singing voice which he could easily have done.What you see is what you get.

Well, to be fair, I dont think he is quite so bad as P. Casey and the rest. But hes following the well trodden path of Luke Kelly, Shane McGowan and, yes, Richie Kavanagh.

• Advertisement

Whenever I hear him, I immediately think of that ad for Galtee(?) in the 80s where the yoof is singing Me name is Rashers see, I've had some flashes see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

i like his music.
    wouldn't listen to it a lot but,it fits the mood sometimes.
    know nothing about the man though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

stovelid wrote: »
    Whenever I hear him, I immediately think of that ad for Galtee(?) in the 80s where the yoof is singing Me name is Rashers see, I've had some flashes see.

lmao...thanks for the memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I think he's great. I love his music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

stovelid wrote: »

I thought that if I had an acoustic guitar/then it meant that you were a Protest Singer/ Oh, I can smile about it now/ but at the time it was terrible.

Ironically, Morrissey is a huge fan of his.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Ironically, Morrissey is a huge fan of his.

I think they toured together, now that I think of it.

Advertisement