Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama anti war from the beginning ?

Options
  • 07-11-2008 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Was Obama anti war from the beginning ?

Regarding the Iraq war ... ? I'm pretty sure he was ...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Yes, Obama had always been anti-Iraq War II. All diplomatic solutions had not been exhausted, and several EU allies did not believe that Iraq still had WMD or any connections with Osama bin Laden (and would not support Baby Bush's war).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Yes, Obama had always been anti-Iraq War II. All diplomatic solutions had not been exhausted, and several EU allies did not believe that Iraq still had WMD or any connections with Osama bin Laden (and would not support Baby Bush's war).

So was McCain.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Anti Iraq war, but not Anti war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

was he even in the senate at the time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

was he even in the senate at the time?
    Not US Senate when the Iraq War II resolution was voted upon, but was in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004, and opposed since being elected to the US Senate November 2004. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama

• Advertisement

its doesn't really count then, we never know what he'd do, in the senate, and what info he had that everybody else didn't have that convinced him to vote for it, blaa blaa, blaa.

love to be clear of what liberal iimperialist samatha power though of the iraq war at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CNN reports Obama may leave as many as 50,000 troops in Iraq over the long term in order to supplement Iraqi forces and fight al qaeda

"We have to be as careful leaving Iraq as we were careless getting in." - Obama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Overheal wrote: »
    CNN reports Obama may leave as many as 50,000 troops in Iraq over the long term in order to supplement Iraqi forces and fight al qaeda

"We have to be as careful leaving Iraq as we were careless getting in." - Obama

WHA~!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

So was McCain.;)

Hehehe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

amacachi wrote: »
    WHA~!?
    *shrug*

There may be something in the intelligence briefing we don't know about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »
    *shrug*

There may be something in the intelligence briefing we don't know about.

Come on. Did anyone realistically think that within 16 months of January 20th that the US would have just upped and out of Iraq? This isn't a new position, he's always said that he would pull back all troops from combat roles, as far as I know, he's never promised a total pullout.

NTM

Come on. Did anyone realistically think that within 16 months of January 20th that the US would have just upped and out of Iraq? This isn't a new position, he's always said that he would pull back all troops from combat roles, as far as I know, he's never promised a total pullout.
    I would hope that someday they will be completely out. I cringe at the thought of US troops stationed in Iraq forever just like the DMZ between North and South Korea. A predominantly Christian army stationed in an Islam land does not make for a lasting peace (unless you are talking about RIP). It didn't work for the Crusades, and it won't work now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I agree. I don't think there's a soldier in the Army who wants to stay in Iraq indefinitely, though I can see a very long-term advisory/training role.

In terms of long-term troop commitment, I don't think there was ever any huge difference between Obama and McCain, it was more a matter of timeline.

NTM

I agree. I don't think there's a soldier in the Army who wants to stay in Iraq indefinitely.

no they'll just leave the army and come come back as better paid mercenary.

Advertisement