Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are shotgun Chokes ???

Options
  • 07-11-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

hi can someone please explain what are chokes for in a gun i just got my first gun and i dont know what they are for and how do i tell them apart there are about 5 different ones which should i use

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The first thing is NEVER fire your gun without chokes.

If you look into them you'll see they are each a different internal diameter. They are probably notched at the end and the number of notches tells you which one is which. The lower the number of notches the tighter the choke.

The one with just one notch is the full (tightest) choke while the one with five notches is probably a skeet choke (very open).

The different constrictions at the end of the barrells influence the spread of pellets as they leave the barrell.

I wouldn't get too hung up on them and for most purposes if you fit the 1/2 choke (3 notches) in the bottom barrell and the 3/4 (2 notches) in the top you'll not go too far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

edit

Advertisement