Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion

Options
  • 07-11-2008 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi, Has anybody tried converting an attic themselves. Is it possible to get a company to just carry out the safety restructuring of the beams. I wouldn't need a W/R. I reckon I could do a skylight and walls, floors myself with some help from friends.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Hi, Has anybody tried converting an attic themselves. Is it possible to get a company to just carry out the safety restructuring of the beams. I wouldn't need a W/R. I reckon I could do a skylight and walls, floors myself with some help from friends.

you could get a price for only the rafter work. loads of companys out there would be only to happy to quote.

Please make sure you get a fire escape Velux and try to follow the fire satety guidlines layed out ing the building regs. God forbid that anyone got traped up there in a house fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Everything is possible but I believe in each to his own.
    Yes if you have great carpentry skills and a bit of building knowledge, you could tackle it yourself but I wouldn't recomend it.

If its a pre-fabricated roof truss - then your need a Structural Engineer and a reputable experienced Builder.

If its a traditional cut roof, you need an Architectural Technician / Engineer and an experienced Carpenter / Builder.

I wouldn't see a problem in getting all the main structural timber work, slating / tiling around velux, staircase done by professionals. You could then insulate the attic fully, mabe install stud walls, install a vapour barrier and slab the walls.

Get a Plumber and Plaster to do their bit while you consider doing the 2nd fix carpentry, tiling and painting.

Get some professional advice before you lift a nail!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Thanks lads, Its just something that I was pondering on. It would be a year or even two years off if I get it done anyway. Ive a young family so safety would always out way cost in that regards.

Advertisement