Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards On Bilberry

• 07-11-2008 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

What was going on down Bilberry this evening. Guards had the road closed to traffic coming off the bridge. Made some difference to traffic! Pity they wouldn't close off the road permanently or at least at peak times.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

What was going on down Bilberry this evening. Guards had the road closed to traffic coming off the bridge. Made some difference to traffic! Pity they wouldn't close off the road permanently or at least at peak times.
    here!!! here!!! people should,nt be left turn onto grattan quay from the bridge they should have to go up and turn right up further so as to let the flow off the bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

here!!! here!!! people should,nt be left turn onto grattan quay from the bridge they should have to go up and turn right up further so as to let the flow off the bridge
    Never got over the bridge as quick as this evening. Drives me nuts when people selfishly, yes selfishly, hold up the entire bridge and ferrybank to turn right and they dont need to. If they want access to the new road they can just go straight up Summerhill and turn right. In fact it's quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

It seemed to be closed off from well past Geraghty's to the corner at the bridge. They didnt seem to be down as far as the halting site though from what I could see. Any idea what was going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

I was coming from the Waterford side of the bridge and tried to come across bilberry from the gracedieu/carrigpherish (cant spell either!) area. The Bilberry road was blocked from where you come down the hill and then take that blind turn to the right to come across the waterside. There was a Garda car there blocking the road so everyone had to do a u-turn at the junction and go back up the hill.

The Gracedieu rd was completely backed up so I went back out to the Old Kilmeaden rd and around the top of town. Ended up taking me an extra half hour or so which tbh was'nt as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'm glad I did'nt wait in Gracedieu because there was only one car getting out at the lights there to go down Bridge street.

While I understand the improvement it must have made for anyone coming from the Ferrybank side. Anyone trying to get near bridge street had their journey increased by at least a half an hour. All of the side roads onto Bridge street were backed up alot more than normal (although the rain did'nt help either :rolleyes:)

I hope there was a good reason for the road closure and this is'nt something the Gards a going to just do everytime they think traffics bad. Close the turn off for people coming across the bridge but they dont need to close off both lanes of the road. The traffic coming from Bilberry enters the bridge through a filter lane so I really dont see the problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

I hope there was a good reason for the road closure and this is'nt something the Gards a going to just do everytime they think traffics bad

I do wonder wheather it was all about traffic flow or not as even past 8pm last night when traffic was very light, the Garda car was still blocking the bilberry road at the bridge.
    Like other posters have said, there was no sign of any further Garda activity further down the road towrads the halting site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

pipe bomb or bombs found in the area surrounding the halting site

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Yeah friend lives in the apartments it was a bomb not sure what kind found outside the brewery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Was it ever confirmed as bombs, news on radio only siad two suspect packages where found.... never heard if it was confirmed as being bombs...
    usually they do announce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

robtri wrote: »
    Was it ever confirmed as bombs, news on radio only siad two suspect packages where found.... never heard if it was confirmed as being bombs...
    usually they do announce it.

Bomb squad were called on the scene is all i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Bomb squad were called on the scene is all i know

i heard that alright, but no-one ever confiremd if it was bombs or just a a hoax...

• Advertisement
Advertisement