Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gears of war 2

• 07-11-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,620 ✭✭✭✭

gears of war 2 thread

is it as good as you taught it be

i taught it be better,

8/10

bad points
    allies AI and enemies AI
    very Predictable story line

good points
    good game
    good graphics
    gameplay is a good as the last one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

It's not as good as I hoped, at least so far (I've only spent a few hours on the single player campaign and just got through the weird research facility). It's still an 8/10 game and just as good as the first one (which I enjoyed very much) but the problem is it is very similar in almost every way. Couple of new weapons but not much else really (the idea of the "movable" cover seems completely shoe-horned in and pretty pointless) and graphically almost identical. Good, but not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Its pretty much a 'meh' for me too.

I grew tired of the GoW gameplay over the years - the slow respawn rates, etc. and the crazy amount of rolling shotgun tricks irked me. They are still here, alas, even with the lancer knockback.

Will play for the campaign, then I think I'll trade it back.

Frankly, I'm having much more fun from Fallout and Endwar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Played about 5 hours in, and tbh its just like playing Gow1 with a extended story line.

Dont get me wrong, Gow1 was good but this new gears just doesnt hold my attention too much for a new game. Would get a 5/10 from me due to not having much distinctions from gow1. (Which got 8/10 imo)

My opinion of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

lads, apart from the cut (all the cut scenes) scenes not having the weapon i had in hand, i reckon it;s the best game i've ever played, i tried to clear i in one day and failed. . .(11 hour session i might add, i hope i get the chance to finish it off!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

any game that has you
    crawl through the intestines of a giant worm and cut its 3 hearts out with a chainsaw
    is so very much full of win.

Only playing single player at the moment, but its great, fills in on the weaknessess of the prior game easily, might overcompensate a bit first one had a really weak plot and was quite short, this one the plot is far too dramatic for its own good (it took reassurances from Monkeyfudge for me to keep playing after a specific scene in the first level that had me cringeing.) And its defitnally much longer then the first one but there is a point in the game where you think you are inches from the end and it dumps a whole another chapter on you. Doesnt help if you were up til 5am to get through that chapter :D

overall those are tiny complaints.

its a fantastic cinematic game and great fun to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

i think its absolutly unreal, top class game.

Gonna have weeks of fun playing this online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

theteal wrote: »
    lads, apart from the cut (all the cut scenes) scenes not having the weapon i had in hand, i reckon it;s the best game i've ever played, i tried to clear i in one day and failed. . .(11 hour session i might add, i hope i get the chance to finish it off!)

I agree. the game seems huge. wish I knew how much time I played but Id say about 14-15 hours and im on act 4 chapter 4. great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I think its a great game, only been playing for a few hours on co-op and have just
    been deployed underground
    . For me it lacks some of the claustrophobia of the original game and some of the jumpy moments but maybe that will come along later.

But a great game and really drags you into the storyline and expands the world created in the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Thought it was absolutely excellent but a tad on the short side on the Campaign

Also no beserkers....probably just aswell as they used to frighten the sh*te out of me...

Some great scenarios -
    giant worm, reaver, brumak etc...
    9/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,620 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Some great scenarios -
    giant worm, reaver, brumak etc...
    9/10

i having problems in the
    worm after the big ball runs after ya and you shoot the big circle thing to get through and then the creatures attack ya where do i shoot then to get through?

any advice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nearing the end of Act 2 now and definitely the best summer blockbuster-esque game in a while. There has been a lot of open world, non-linear games recently so it is nice to play something that funnels you down a pre determined path with a ****load of set pieces. Far more epic than the first one (
    the images of the city falling through the ground are stunning
    ) and love the new weapons (mortar ftw!). Storyline is a bit simplistic so far (the Dom and his wife stuff seems a bit forced) but the gameplay is as solid as the first: thought it may have been a bit easy during the first chapter or two, but hardcore mode is providing a decent and fair challenge that isn't nearly as frustrating as many other games' higher difficulties. Handles the old Halo adage of "30 seconds of great gameplay over and over" far better than that other Microsoft series IMO. First go of Horde last night was impressive too.

It is just a fun game: won't change gaming as we know, but a hell of a ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

It is just a fun game: won't change gaming as we know, but a hell of a ride.

Sums it up.. Its one hell of a ride.. I can't put it down. Playing it on Hardcore n really enjoying it.. Mate is playing it on Normal n flying through it.. I want it to last n last n last...

N Headshot, if u haven't figured it yet...
    Chainsaw through the membrane, n don't hang about shooting the creatures.. Just run like Forest Gump!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,620 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

unklerosco wrote: »
    Sums it up.. Its one hell of a ride.. I can't put it down. Playing it on Hardcore n really enjoying it.. Mate is playing it on Normal n flying through it.. I want it to last n last n last...

N Headshot, if u haven't figured it yet...
    Chainsaw through the membrane, n don't hang about shooting the creatures.. Just run like Forest Gump!!

ahh thank you

ill try it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Headshot....I didnt have a Lancer going into that section so presumed I still didnt have one but after trying to bash and shoot it open I realised that the game equips you with a Lancer so you can cut through.

Im the same as the majority...absolutely loving it. Played through fully on casual on my own and it took about 8 hours (Gears1 took just under 5) so going to start on hardcore again this evening. Also have a coop on normal going and five of us cleared Horde earlier on casual which took just under 3 hours. Played on River as the house gives you a great view of both spawn sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

The game is a 9 imo.

The first few chapters had me a little underwhelmed but it gets fantastic
    from the Nigel level onwards,the razor hail section is fantastic as is the attack on the hive and levithan boss fight
    its just so more refined then the last game. I dont undestand what anyone who says the squad mates AI is crap, its top class,its not many games that you see an AI squad mate take two guys out with a sniper rifle as he makes his way across the level to save you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I agree with the squad AI... I think its much better than the 1st game. They actually do something now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Very slick and polished game but like the first it gets pretty tedious after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the last chapter is a bit of a disapointment after the fantastic one before it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I liked it, wasn't expecting anything more than just Gears 1 with more story. Very solid third person shooter, with no annoying parts like Gears 1 had. The AI is alot better and do help out, multiplayer friendly bots do not seem as smart as the enemy bots for some reason though.

Raised a few more questions than answering in the storyline, vary sudden ending IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 phit_demon

So far I'm enjoying the hell out of it, and I'm about 3 hours in. The first GoW is in my top 5 best games ever.

0_61_gears_of_war_1.jpg

[size=+3]"Hominid!!!"[/size]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

passed it last night.
    last boss a bit too easy tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    passed it last night.
    last boss a bit too easy tho.

That's not a
    boss fight, that's practically a cut-scene...

It was a great ride but still felt short... I do agree with most here though, the squad's AI is much better - I remember failing checkpoints in GOW 1 because Dom would constantly get himself killed - that never happened in GOW 2. Still, it was definitely more like GOW 1.5 and the ending was just abrupt and underwhelming. I still think it's a good game, but by no means a 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

what have they done with the shot gun?? it seems lifeless...the jury is out for the online play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Hi wrote: »
    what have they done with the shot gun?? it seems lifeless...the jury is out for the online play.

haven't played with it yet but it was way over powered in 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I have been playing it all weekend (no seriously, im addicted :( ) and i think it's a 9/10 game.

The campaign is quite good, and it lasts for a resonable amount of time. The boss fights,
    while been spectaluar, are one of the worst i have experienced in a game (gameplay wise) for quite some time.
    . The story was poor, but lets face it, we don't play gears expecting a great story do we :)

I have played online alot as well, and its very good. Although, just like the first one, it is riddled with annoying bugs here and there. The new weapons add some spice, the maps are of a high standard and the new modes are really fun to play. I don't like the matchmaking though, cause it can take some time to find a server, and then you only get one match before you have to search again (no moving onto another map with the same players (well not in public anyway).

As for the shotgun, it seems to be just as powerful as in GOW 1. However, in close range, the lancer will win quite alot i have discovered. I have shot people in point blank range with the shotgun, and they still chainsaw me, as if the shotgun did nothing. This happens quite alot. Sometimes the shooting people while they run will slow them down quite a bit, but other times it seems to do nothing.

Overall, it is basically an expansion pack to GOW1 but with a new campaign. There really isn't anything new here besides the new weapons. However, just like the first one, the MP will keep me coming back for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

been trying to get a public game for awhile now ayone no why it's so hard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

its much different than gow1 hb starts and the hb is single shot best change imo, chainsaw is just ridiculus, smoke stun is good but i dont like the tagging of nades to walls especially frags in respawn gametypes just smack them all over the enemys respawn and they blow up when they spawn. i've played about 15 hours of actual multiplayer and about 3 hours of horde in the last 3 days, havent started the campaign yet but might do it during the week as i dont have access to online features :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I have only really been playing online and I suppose for the next while there will be no shortage of privite online matches to join but it takes forever to get into a public matchmaking game. I was still playing Gears 1 right up until thursday night and I do already miss the jump into the action quick search game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

bennyc wrote: »
    I have only really been playing online and I suppose for the next while there will be no shortage of privite online matches to join but it takes forever to get into a public matchmaking game. I was still playing Gears 1 right up until thursday night and I do already miss the jump into the action quick search game.

Yeah. I spent ages last night getting a multiplayer game and afterwards tried for a good half hour to get a horde game but to no avail.
    Maybe there was something up last night ? Anyone have similar problems ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I managed to get a few online games in over the weekend, it was ruined only because I'm crap ! Seriously, I was cannon fodder for most of the time and didn't managed to win any of the chainsaw duels I got into, I think I'll stick to being a chicken and take cheap pot shots of people from the far side of the map !
    It takes a bit of getting used to after spending so long on COD4.

Advertisement