Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gears of war 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Jip wrote: »
    I managed to get a few online games in over the weekend, it was ruined only because I'm crap !

I managed a few games Friday night alright (it took a while but worked ok). But last night I only managed to get into one multiplayer match and that took some effort. It just keeps going through the searching for players over and over again and then eventually when it finds people it takes another age on the last part before a match can start. I tried horde last night and ... nothing. Couldn't get into a game at all. I let it try for AGES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Looks like allot of people are having serious issues getting online games going...
    http://forums.xbox.com/2/23908792/ShowPost.aspx#23908792

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

same thing happened after cod4 cme out it was impossible to get a game the first few days.A bit silly given the amount of hype that was behind the game ,they should have the resources for the traffic. Its a pain because im waiting for my friend to finish the CO - OP campiagn so im basicly unable to play the game because it takes a good ten minutes to get a game of horde going.Plus after it ends your back to square one because theres no halo 3 style party up feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Played gears loads at a friends house and was addicted to it. Gettin my own xbox soon and just wonderin should i get gears of war 1 or 2 .... or both :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

smurfy89 wrote: »
    Played gears loads at a friends house and was addicted to it. Gettin my own xbox soon and just wonderin should i get gears of war 1 or 2 .... or both :D

I found Gears2 made 1 feel like a tech demo for the most part. Play 1 to get to grips with the story et al, and make sure you savour gears2. It's a stunningly well designed game, as long as you know what you're getting when you go in.

I haven't completed the game yet, but dare I say it - this blows Halo out of the water by miles (granted, this is excluding the online component)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I haven't completed the game yet, but dare I say it - this blows Halo out of the water by miles (granted, this is excluding the online component)...

I find that Gears has the better campaign, game play and storyline etc but Halo has the better online Gameplay.

@Smurfy89....get both games Gears 1 can be picked up for about 20 euro and is easily worth it. You will appreciate how epic the 2nd one is after playing it.

Just wondering if anyone felt any similarites between the second one and Lord of the rings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Just wondering if anyone felt any similarites between the second one and Lord of the rings?

Funny you should say that, I have mentioned this to a few people. The scenes with the huge numbers of Locust were very like scenes from Two Towers and the voice of the Locust Queen sounds similar to Galadriel.

Also being inside the worm and riding the reavers through the forest were quite reminiscent of Star Wars and Return of the Jedi.

bucks73 wrote: »
    Funny you should say that, I have mentioned this to a few people. The scenes with the huge numbers of Locust were very like scenes from Two Towers and the voice of the Locust Queen sounds similar to Galadriel.

Also being inside the worm and riding the reavers through the forest were quite reminiscent of Star Wars and Return of the Jedi.

Glad someone else agrees, the hollow looks very similar to Mordor and there is a scene where some locusts and Brumaks are marching along the Highway which reminds me of Return of the King when they march out of Minas Morgul.

Never noticed the Star Wars thing til now but it is very similar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

aye the opening scene with the female voiceover was so much like a tribute to the opening scene of the LOTR TFOTR that it can't be accidental.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

bucks73 wrote: »
    Also being inside the worm ...
    Now that level was just plain daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Yeah it was a little daft alright. Basically just running and sawing.

Was reading last night that Cliffy B and the team did use cinema for some inspiration but they never mentioned LOTR. One that was mentioned was Predator and have heard a coupld of people reffering to Skorge as The Predator. :D

I though Gears 2 actually drew from from Halo aswell.
    Apart from the heavy weapons,vehicle driving controls,matchmaking,the lambent story line smacks of the flood to me or at least the brute elite stuff from halo 2 and 3. Less not forget the indiana jones inspired chase from the big ball of half digest conqrete inside of the pinocchio inspired level or the return of the jedi section on the reavers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Damn right! I'm on the 4th act now, I think the game is brilliant! played through loads of the campaign last night with a mate, we both just kept saying "wow" the whole time we played. It just seems to keep getting better...Graphics are something else, it's like an amazing painting everywhere you look, the art direction is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

does anyone think the section
    inside the worm is very like the cortana level in halo 3
    just looked very similar to me.

One thing im pretty sure everyone will agree with is that the campaign is made to be played in co op. Id rather not play it then not wait for my friend to finish it with.

Realy adds to the experience

i like it... online is better for reasons im not really sure of and campaign is class.

it just seems more polished than gears 1.. and if anyone wanted big changes then get a different game. the halo and cod franchises have same gameplay cause it works.. just like gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

got in a few games last night online doesn't seem to be much watiing around anymore the games come thick and fast...

Indie18 wrote: »
    does anyone think the section
    inside the worm is very like the cortana level in halo 3
    just looked very similar to me.

Considering the
    Cortana level
    is possibly one of the worst levels of any game ever and the Worm level is just a short run through there is no comparison.

ntlbell wrote: »
    got in a few games last night online doesn't seem to be much watiing around anymore the games come thick and fast...

same... its flyin now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Can anyone help me get passed the bit where:
    you're driving inside caves with the floodlight on and you jump down the cliff. As soon as I get one shot off I get killed by the three giant spider things and I can't even move the car?!
    Got minorly stuck a few times before but nothing like this :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me get passed the bit where:
    you're driving inside caves with the floodlight on and you jump down the cliff. As soon as I get one shot off I get killed by the three giant spider things and I can't even move the car?!
    Got minorly stuck a few times before but nothing like this :confused:
    You need to shoot the Corpser that has its legs up, and the next, and the next. They are all 1 hit

Weird
    This happened to us a aswell my co op buddy was pointing the gun the wrong way ?? this mite help but i dno. You have to kill them pretty quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Figured it out
    once I didn't shoot them with their legs down.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Considering the
    Cortana level
    is possibly one of the worst levels of any game ever and the Worm level is just a short run through there is no comparison.

i meant in looks not in game play. i should have been more specific. why didn't you like.
    the cortana level in halo.
    just out of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

bast game on the 360 for a mile looking forward to number 3

Finished campaign last night ,can someone please explain to me
    what the frack is going on with this lambent thing...the lambent that are fighting the locust in the cave werent exploding but the brumak and the wretches from the first game did.....i dno how i feel about this lambent thing,its a little too like the flood from Halo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Indie18 wrote: »
    i meant in looks not in game play. i should have been more specific. why didn't you like.
    the cortana level in halo.
    just out of interest.

I just felt it to be poorly laid out and really easy to get lost on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

When it comes to video games, i dont really care if something is not as original as long as the game play is good.

I think the game was a vast improvement on the original although it felt slightly easier. I was delighted they ditched the berserkers and the level in the original in the truck where you had the UV light really annoyed the hell out of me.

The worm level is GOW2 was great fun. It was great taking on more Reavers. GOW2 has a really battlefield feel to it rather than a wave of enemies, move on, another wave of enemies etc.

On the downside, the bosses are poor, particular the dude with the double edge blade toward the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

faceman wrote: »
    I was delighted they ditched the berserkers

It was great taking on more berserkers.

???????:confused:

Advertisement