Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translating admission requirement

Options
  • 07-11-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi

To become admitted to a number of programs, for example Financial math and economics at Galway, you need Higher level C3 in mathematics.

So how do you translate that? I'm a Swedish high school student, and here in Sweden, we have seven math courses.

Here's what the courses contain?
    Mathematics A - Numbers (overall, like counting with different bases, using %, exponentiation etc), geometry and trigonometry, functions and statistics
    Mathematics B - Probability theory and statistics, geometry, algebra, functions
    Mathematics C - Algebra, functions, derivatives, exponentiations and logarithms
    Mathematics D - Trigonometry, derivatives and differential equations, trigonometrical functions, integrals
    Mathematics E - Complex numbers, derivatives and integrals, differential equations
    Discrete mathematics - no explanation needed, simply contains discrete math.
    Mathematics extension - a course were you can choose between these areas (you can also do more than one): Probability theory and statistics, functions, vectors and matrices. This is the most difficult math course.

I got VG in Math A, B, Discrete and G in Math C. I still haven't done the exams to the other courses, thought I did the textbooks that belongs to those courses a long while ago (how come? well, that's another question).

MVG = Passed with special distinction. Gives 20 points
    VG = Passed with distinction. Gives you 15 points
    G = Passed. Gives 10 points.
    IG = Failed. Gives 0 points.

When taking into account the size of the courses (B and discrete are only half as big as A and C), my average is 13,3/20. That's 67 % of maximum, while C3 means 55-60 % of maximum. That would mean I'm doing alright and that I'm fulfilling the requirements...

... but Mathematics A is a mandatory course, and should therefore possibly be seen as "Ordinary level" math. That leaves me with 2 VG and one G, and an average of 12,5. Still enough I think, but not very good.

There are also other scenarios, such as Math D, E, Discret and Extension be seen as higher math - since they are the four higher courses.

Does anyone have any idea about how to calculate your average and find out whether your eligible for a course or not? What do you think?

First I called the admission's office at NUI Galway, they didn't know so they told me to call the CAO. They didn't know, so they told me to call the department at NUIG at which I wanted to study (economics department). The department didn't knew, so they told me to call the professor at the program at which I wanted to study. Now, I've tried to call him, but it's hard to call at a time when he's in his office (I've never talked to him, tried to call him again today, but he wasn't there).

Sorry if this became long and complicated, I just want to check if someone has some information.

Thanks in advance,
    /John G

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Irish system does not get many applicants from a Swedish high school background I suppose. The whole issue of transferring results around Europe will have to be properly formalised at some stage as people become more mobile.

The outside country Ireland would get most applicants from would be the UK - has your Swedish school any experience with getting qualifications like yours accepted in a UK college? At what equivalent were they accepted? That might give the college here or the CAO something to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Okey, I understand the problem. Many Swedes study in UK, but perhaps not math. Plus, most of them go to Cambridge, which certainly has higher requirements than Galway "should" have (since Galway isn't an elite university).

Well, the thing is that C3 represents 55-60 % of the maximum point you can get. In Sweden, you can get between 0-20 points. "Translated", 55-60 % would mean 11-12 in GPA for me (11-12 = 55-60 % of 20). Or did I get something wrong?

/John G

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You would have to also take into account the percentage of the candidates that get a particular grade. It's complicated, but the best thing I think would be for the Head of the Department to get a copy of the syllabus/curriculum you followed in Sweden and make a decision from that.

Percentage of candidates that get a particular grade... can you explain more? In Sweden, you get your grades based only on what you know, not based on your classmates results.

I was told that the entire leaving certificate (except Practical exercise) should be counted when calculating the GPA. UCC said something about my grades in Math, Swedish and English being the most important, but NUIG said that all grades count equally. At least that's how I understood them.

/John G

I mean, for example, if 70% of candidates sitting a particular exam get 70% or more, then that would need to be taken into account if a candidate presented with a 60% mark.

It's about establishing a standard. I'm not at all qualified to make any sort of opinion on Swedish exams and how they compare with the Leaving Certificate. The Head of Maths in Galway would be the one to do it I think, or perhaps someone should decide for NUI in general.

• Advertisement

Really? So, what would happen to the guy who got 60 %?

/John G

I have no idea, but as I said, it is a factor that would have to be taken into account by whoever is looking to establish equivalence.

The standard of the examination has to be established before it can be compared with a known standard.

interesting... so what do you study at Higher Level math? I'm trying to find the equivalent.

/John G

Here's the syllabus:
    Ordinary and Higher Maths (PDF)

I had hoped for a summary, for example: Do you learn discrete math? Complex numbers? Integrals? Differential equations?

Thanks anyway, I'll take a look at it.

/John G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

If I were you I would just contact the college, they'll let you know exactly

I see your point, XoX-etc ;) The thing is that I've already done so, without getting any answers. They told me to call CAO, and they told told me to call the specific department at the university, and they told me to call the specific professor at the program, and the professor doesn't answer the phone:(

I tried with University of Limerick a couple of months ago when I was considering studying at their "Economics and math"-program. The professor said, based on my description of the courses, that Mathematics C would be enough, and that additional courses can only give you a higher GPA, not a lower one - seems logical, since a VG in Math B, a G in Math C, and a G in Math D means that you know more than someone who has only a VG in Mathematics B and a G in Mathematics V and who didn't study the D-course. Sounds rational to me.

/John G

Advertisement