Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Article: Second Ohio City Votes to Ban Red Light Cameras

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Another reason why some day I hope to live in America

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

In ontario they would also have stop sign cameras, to make sure you don't do a rolling stop ( a big no-no )....

In some ways i do admire the zero tolerance approach, if people know they can't even get away with a rolling stop will they chance other things??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

In ontario they would also have stop sign cameras, to make sure you don't do a rolling stop ( a big no-no )....

In some ways i do admire the zero tolerance approach, if people know they can't even get away with a rolling stop will they chance other things??
    That would just be over policing, enforcing the law just for the sake of it.

What next, cameras to catch jay walkers so they know they wont get away with other heinous crimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sundy wrote: »

I know what your saying... but try tell that to the families of the 2 French tourists that well killed on the kilemore road.... he had 20+ convictions for traffic offences...

At the very least people should carry their licence when driving. If stopped and they have no licence they shouldn't be allowed to proceed.. this 10 days to produce is a load of crap...

At the end of the day Ireland is a country where the Garda's can't officially check how many penalty points are on your licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

John J wrote: »
    Another reason why some day I hope to live in America

So you can mill through red light and stop signs without beign caught?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Sundy wrote: »

In that case why have those laws if you aren't going to enforce them?

Laws should be enforced because they are there, but they should only be there when they are sensible and realistic

Zero tolerance of realistic laws with realistic penalties would be the way to go - but instead we have laws with severe penalties but little or no enforcement (eg: big fines for dropping litter, but little chance of being caught).

Ideally (but there aren't enough resources), the Gardai should enforce every traffic law, but the penaties should be light (eg: being in the wrong lane, turning with no indicator - penalty: must park up and wait for five minutes, big fine if Garda sees that you've departed early).

Stuff like this would get people thinking, and realising that they need to take responsibility for their actions (not dropping litter, realising that driving includes more than just sitting in and steering until their destination!).

[/rant] ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Type 17 wrote: »
    In that case why have those laws if you aren't going to enforce them?

Laws should be enforced because they are there, but they should only be there when they are sensible and realistic

Zero tolerance of realistic laws with realistic penalties would be the way to go - but instead we have laws with severe penalties but little or no enforcement (eg: big fines for dropping litter, but little chance of being caught).

Ideally (but there aren't enough resources), the Gardai should enforce every traffic law, but the penaties should be light (eg: being in the wrong lane, turning with no indicator - penalty: must park up and wait for five minutes, big fine if Garda sees that you've departed early).

Stuff like this would get people thinking, and realising that they need to take responsibility for their actions (not dropping litter, realising that driving includes more than just sitting in and steering until their destination!).

[/rant] ;)

a lot of laws only exist for political correctness reasons and pressure from the EU. sort of to make the country 'look good' infront of everyone else but then they don't enforce it because it's a waste of money and it will end up pissing people off.

but in todays surveillance society getting rid of a few cameras has to be universally a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

towel401 wrote: »
    a lot of laws only exist for political correctness reasons....they don't enforce it because it's a waste of money and it will end up pissing people off..
    Or, to put it another way, the laws are there to add to the general safety and quality of life of society but don't work because selfish people won't respect the rights of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,935 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Or, to put it another way, the laws are there to add to the general safety and quality of life of society but don't work because selfish people won't respect the rights of others.

Quite a black and white way of looking at it.

A traffic light sequence i go through recently broke - the red light simply stayed on. Should every person who had driven down that road simply be trapped there because the light was broken and would not turn green? Personally, I would say no - but in your black and white interpretation, ever person who safely went through yeilding to traffic that still had the green light should have been fined cause quite simply they went through a red light, thus braking the law and infringing on the rights of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

towel401 wrote: »
    a lot of laws only exist for political correctness reasons and pressure from the EU. sort of to make the country 'look good' infront of everyone else but then they don't enforce it because it's a waste of money and it will end up pissing people off.

but in todays surveillance society getting rid of a few cameras has to be universally a good thing.

+1 on this, there are alot of laws that would simply be silly to police.

For example they are changing legislation in the Netherlands to make blasphemy legal, previously saying God didn't exist etc could get you an appearance in court, however in reality it never happened because its just a silly law and is completely upto interpretation.

However others would say its not up to the people enforcing the laws job to do that, i would disagree and would think a bit of common sense from day one prevents alot of these situation before they escalate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Type 17 wrote: »

[/rant] ;)

That sounds like a really cool idea actually. "You didn't indicate before that turn back there. Take a time out."

It would take some extra manpower to enforce though but still, nice idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

"Let's be honest with the public -- we didn't think about this until we came up with a budget problem."

What is this world coming to? Politicians being honest? I'm at a loss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Tauren wrote: »
    A traffic light sequence i go through recently broke - the red light simply stayed on. Should every person who had driven down that road simply be trapped there because the light was broken and would not turn green?
    In the circumstances you describe, once its obvious the lights have malfunctioned, I agree that it's OK to proceed with caution and I have not said otherwise.

Most of the time, traffic lights work normally and this cannot be the excuse for the many amber, red and filter light violations I see every day.

Advertisement