Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many acres of forest for a basic income?

Options
  • 07-11-2008 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if its is possible to make a basic income from planting and managing woodlands, and if so how many acres of native or other species would one need to plant ? When I say basic I mean €15-30 grand p.a.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

For forestry, the only real source of income for the first 20 years (assuming you're a farmer) of your forest is the grant paid by the Department of Agriculture. You can find the set of grant rates on http://www.client.teagasc.ie/docs/training/forestry/financial_info/forestrygrantrates_2008.pdf, but if you were to plant an oak woodland, you would need to plant about 140 acres to get 35,000 (tax free) in grant money. If it was sitka spruce, you'd need nearly 180 acres.

You also get a grant to establish the forest. This is cost based, but if you're willing and able to do the work yourself (and planting trees is hard, hard work), then you can earn more in the first year.

After 20 years, your grant money runs out and you're then relying on thinnings for income. At the minute, I doubt you'd be keeping your income level up at 30,000 a year from that area of forestry, but maybe someone will correct me on that.

The other thing to say is that it's not just a case of planting an area of forestry and then collecting grant money for 20 years. You'll need to keep the forest free from weeds until the forest is established and then prune and shape your trees if they're broadleaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭jgoodman05

Cheers Daithi, that really clears thing up for me

Advertisement