Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option to sealing the bottom of shower

Options
  • 07-11-2008 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

Got a new shower tray in,before it was fitted the plumber got this kinda blue tape which had a sort of bitimum like seal on it. Its placed on back of shower tray and its meant to move with tray if it settles and stops leaks if water gets in behind tiles.

Well guess what it leaked,.....The bottom of shower tray where tiles meet it had silicone. The silicone seemed to pull away abit since it was done. I rooted out all the silicone and found out the bottom of tiles were not grouted, its was only a couple of mil. I regrouted the tiles and I'm wondering is it better to get some Tec-7 now and re-silicone it or am I wasting my time? I bloody thought that blue tape I paid extra was meant to do its job...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

IMO the very bottom of the tiles shouldn't be grouted as any movement will cause the grout to crack and allow water to pass. Believe me no matter how firmly the shower is fixed, there will be ample movement to allow this to happen.

Silicone can "shrink" and can have to be redone. You were right to pull out the old silicone but if I was in your shoes I would have replaced with a good brand of silicone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Would it be fine to just silicone over where I re-grouted then? I talked to plumber about the tape he used and I'm the first that has come back saying I had a leak since he started using it a couple years now...

He is a mate of mine and when he was fitting tray he suggested this tape, it was around €40 a box and you only get one tray out of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I'd be afraid that if you silicone over the regrouted area that it could end up looking a real mess in a short time, caused by the trace of the silicone and the fact that mildew and mould seems to be able to get going under the thin skin of silicone by times.

Why not see how it goes. If it causes trouble, then you can root out the grout and fill with silicone.

Advertisement