Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget self build PC - thoughts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

You could probably get a faster PC on Adverts if you keep an
    eye on it for a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Shiny wrote: »
    You could probably get a faster PC on Adverts if you keep an
    eye on it for a week or so.

Thanks Shiny. I'll say it to the guy I'm building it for. He's a bit impatient, so would want something now. He's not always the most sensible of guys:p

How does the spec I gave look? Am I missing any components? Do there look to be any obvious clashes in the config?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

To be honest I'm not a fan of extreme budget PC's.
    That's why I suggested adverts to get more value for money.

I have never really heard of any of the components you are using
    so cannot say for sure. The way I see it, if he is requesting a PC
    as cheap as this then he probably wont mind the sludgy performance
    it is going to have with Vista.

BTW if the IDE hard drive is old, it is going to be a bottleneck for the
    system. (Along with the other bottlenecks).:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Would be fine for basic uses. However you're up against a total brick wall if he suddenly decides he wants to play games. Slow single core CPU, no dedicated card, crap power supply, and so on. If you're absolutely happy that he's not going to be doing anything outside of normal day to day web browsing, music, and so on, then yeah, it'd be fine - Vista won't be a problem. Seems strange that you buy a hard drive cooler though and then buy a 40 euro case and psu combo - where's the logic, or point?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

No logic at all by the looks of it:o. I'll remove it from my spec now!

Thanks for the advise TerrorFirmer. He definitely won't be doing anything more than web browsing, a little music. A little bit of word/excel maybe. I'm going to recommend to him to try and wait and get something from Adverts like Shiny recommended. If he won't, he can have this one so!

Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement