Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Kenny stooped to a new low?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Mena wrote: »
    Actually, I'd say yes. There's nothing (that I recall) totally unbelievable in Iron Man... Now angels... that's a different story :D

If the japanese would hurry up and build me my gundam suit,she'd be seeing angels... :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Nerin wrote: »
    Much more believeable yes? ;)
    I don't know about believable but definitely possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"If you don't like it, don't watch it", "Why are you posting on an internet forum about how much you don't like it?" etc.

Please don't tell people they can't complain about something when they give good reason.

If someone doesn't like something, they have every right to say it, just like they have every right to praise something they like. It's called expressing an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dudess wrote: »
    "If you don't like it, don't watch it", "Why are you posting on an internet forum about how much you don't like it?" etc.

Please don't tell people they can't complain about something when they give good reason.

If someone doesn't like something, they have every right to say it, just like they have every right to praise something they like. It's called expressing an opinion.

If someone is complaining about how terrible a show is then "Don't watch it" is a fair response. The reason we're more than just-a-little-miffed is that RTE is a public service broadcaster, which means that the money from our TV licenses pays for their operating costs, including Pat "That Eijit" Kenny's more-than-healthy salary.

Other channels, such as TV3, have to scrape by on what they can get from advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I had heard it was a rival to the excellent Batman. Unfortunately I thought it was a disappointing film - one that just sort of washed over me.

Anyway, there clearly is an audience for this sort of thing. And pretty much that fact alone will determine the potential line-up (or in RTE's case, it's because they cant get anyone better). If the Jonathan Ross Russell Brand nonsense has taught us anything, in terms of public broadcasting, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Complain to RTE if it's that upsetting.

Still, whatever you think of Pat, he brought us one of the finest moments in Irish television history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well pat clealry doens't believe in that stuff, so why did the latelate decide to have her on,i don't think its worth having these guest son for arguments sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

They didn't have a choice because their wives had the remote control and forced them to watch it.

Sort of makes sense. If a woman has the poor taste to marry an atheist then said atheist can hardly complain when same poor taste causes said wife to watch crap like Pat Kenny.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Did Pat challenge the woman at all? Sounds like painful viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dave! wrote: »
    Sounds like painful viewing

Nothing out of the ordinary there. It sounds like a bog standard instalment of the Late Late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

When the Late Late had Richard Dawking on the show, they had to "balance" it by having a Christian on also. Richard got a hard time and didn't get an easy time promoting his book.

I think last night, the Late Late could have had a skeptic on to "balance" that segment of the show.

Come to think of it, a couple of weeks ago there were 4 nuns on promoting their way of life and encouraging it. There was no "balance" on that segment either.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    If someone is complaining about how terrible a show is then "Don't watch it" is a fair response.
    I disagree. If there is a programme, the concept of which disgusts some, they have every right to vent about it - despite the fact they don't watch it (the obvious example being Big Brother).
    There's a Big Brother haters thread in the BB forum and there are always people whingeing "well if you don't like it, don't watch it" bla bla. Yawn. People can ****ing well voice their dislike of it if they want.
    The reason we're more than just-a-little-miffed is that RTE is a public service broadcaster, which means that the money from our TV licenses pays for their operating costs, including Pat "That Eijit" Kenny's more-than-healthy salary.
    Yep, absolutely. The thing is though, there are people who like this kind of stuff and believe it's worth paying the TV licence for. Who's right and who's wrong? I think it's awful but a person who likes it... well their opinion is just as valid.

But just like they've the right to wax lyrical about it, the detractors have a right to criticise it without getting "well don't watch it then" yelled at them.

I think everyone should be able to say anything they like. So someone says they hate the Late Late, someone tells them to watch something else, someone tells them its not that simple etc.

You're the one who was stopping at stage 2 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

Zillah wrote: »
    I think everyone should be able to say anything they like. So someone says they hate the Late Late, someone tells them to watch something else, someone tells them its not that simple etc.

You're the one who was stopping at stage 2 :P

This is strange logic your are employing here - You think everybody should be free to say anything they like, and then you contradict yourself by allowing for a simple (vacuous) 'well don't watch it then' - it is no argument at all and it totally misses the point. My original complaint wasn't that i watched it - my wife heard that complaint. My complaint was the content of the program - it belittled the audience and we do have the right - if not the obligation to comment on public-service tv - that we all pay for.

I suggest you re-read my posts in this thread.

I did - what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I am now sitting here, foaming at the mouth with contempt watching Pat Kenny (my wife has the remote).
    kleefarr wrote: »
    Exactly the same here. Wife has the remote and is glued to the telly. :(
    Avns1s wrote: »
    +1

And I agree with the OP

Lol, you boys are whipped.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Lol, you boys are whipped.

Ha! Your time will come...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

>_>

<_<

i doubt it...

:p

Even if it did I wouldn't sit there and watch it too...

Not much chance of getting Kenny here anyway :)

Nerin - blow me ;)

For a forum full of freethinking-atheists there is a lot of delusion evident...

• Advertisement

Still I suppose if you're paying a tv licence you may as well get your moneys worth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If you don't like it don't watch it :rolleyes:

It's not like he switched it on. Someone else was watching, he didn't like what he saw. He felt that it was not on that this is what passes for state-funded television, totally valid argument. Eye-rollies are not an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

We live in a world of mediocrity because we allow ourselves to endure it without complaint. I have never liked the Late-Late anyway, and PK is a joke as an interviewer . Whilst i accept that not everybody shares my opinions on what is important, i remain continually amazed at what people will put up with in the name of entertainment.

I didn't see it, did he at least grill the interviewee? I could accept bringing such a person before the public in order to have them provide that peculiar thing we call "evidence" for their claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Awh man, those angel nuts are funny. Damn I missed it (work) but I'm sure Joe Duffy will be swamped by complaints just like when Tommy Tiernan appears on the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I am now sitting here, foaming at the mouth with contempt watching Pat Kenny (my wife has the remote). We have some monumentally deluded woman 'revealing', that we are surrounded by angels. We all 'need to believe that there is a god'. Is this **** what we are paying our license fee for? What a ****ing joke RTE has become. That poor woman is clearly mentally disturbed and should be receiving medication, not sharing her delusions with the country. What really alarms me, is that people are sitting at home now, and not foaming at the mouth with contempt.
    (rant over)
    I didn't see the program but why did it bother you so much? I remember John McCririck (sp?) on one night saying that anyone who believed in God needed their head examined. Don't you believe in balance or would you rather see RTE promote atheism?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

kelly1 wrote: »
    I didn't see the program but why did it bother you so much? I remember John McCririck (sp?) on one night saying that anyone who believed in God needed their head examined.

I remember that, if I remember correctly he was also in awe of the wonders of science and about how it takes light thousands of years to travel from one side of the Universe to the other. He was a little off in his maths I think but fair play to him for trying :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

kelly1 wrote: »
    I didn't see the program but why did it bother you so much? I remember John McCririck (sp?) on one night saying that anyone who believed in God needed their head examined. Don't you believe in balance or would you rather see RTE promote atheism?

As stated before on this thread when Dawkins was on they put on a guy who was Christian for balance. When crazy angel lady was on they didn't have a token atheist for balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DanCorb

I think it's absurd that the show didn't have a skeptic as a guest also.

I presume plenty of christians don't believe in that angel stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I presume plenty of christians don't believe in that angel stuff?
    It's hard to imagine how a Christian wouldn't believe in angels since they feature so much in Scripture.

Advertisement