Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Kenny stooped to a new low?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

kelly1 wrote: »
    It's hard to imagine how a Christian wouldn't believe in angels since they feature so much in Scripture.
    So do Adam And Eve, Noahs Ark, a zombie carpenter, a vengeful God who loves a good bet, ... oh and a talking snake too.

I imagine there are "levels" of Christianity, with many folk taking large sections of the bible with large pinches of salt.

I haven't yet seen the clip but I think I can imagine the kind of skepticism-free pseudo-spiritual circle jerk it presumably became.

I've seen the same thing happen with hypnotists, acupuncturists, mediums, psychics, "paranormal investigators" and other phony snake-oil twits, and I hate to say it, but I get the impression women perhaps tend to lap this sort of "alternative" nonsense up more willingly than men.

smug sarcastic impression:
    "OOhhh look at this amazing man, he had a near death experience and ever since has been able to cure ringworm by fondling a womans buttox"...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's hard to imagine how a Christian wouldn't believe in angels since they feature so much in Scripture.
    Ghost was more convincing for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

I didn't see the program but why did it bother you so much? I remember John McCririck (sp?) on one night saying that anyone who believed in God needed their head examined. Don't you believe in balance or would you rather see RTE promote atheism?

I absolutely believe that balance is important in broadcasting. I don't believe religious beliefs or the lack-there-of should be promoted using our license-fee.

My point however wasn't that it showed a lack of balance - although some people on the thread have (correctly i think) highlighted this issue. The problem i had isn't because i am an atheist - the woman was clearly mentally unbalance , and had, by her own account been told so by professionals when young. Her assertions were taken at face value by PK who, instead of sceptically questioning the validity of what she was seeing, asked her to comment on the 'angels' that were present in the room. It was like a sceance and it was intellectually insulting, i would hope, to both believers and non-believers alike. It bothered me on an intellectual level, not on some mystical woo-woo level. It is people accepting such ridiculous nonsense that allows it to fester.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The archive for last Friday isn't up yet but this is another pair of angel botherers...

http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20060303.html (see "ANGELS")

Pat actually asks the pertinent questions about guardian angels not doing their jobs and gets the most outrageous cop out as a response. For example the lady says of a child dying maybe it's a "wake up call for the family"...? (around 5mins).

They even have a camera that takes pictures of angels! The picture they claim are angels and of Pat Kenny's aura are hilarious.

Listen to the humanist in the audience at about 14mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Damn you Dades, I'm in the library and have no earphones :( Please type up word for word what is said! You have 5 minutes! :D Cheers

• Advertisement

Sorry - we can't have you disturbing the other library-dwellers with shouts of aghast!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dades wrote: »

Pat actually asks the pertinent questions about guardian angels not doing their jobs and gets the most outrageous cop out as a response. For example the lady says of a child dying maybe it's a "wake up call for the family"...? (around 5mins).

Typical response, "Oh you have free will." Yet when something good happens it's the angel's doing.

So is the photo of Pat Kenny supposed to be a magic eye picture?
    I don't know what they are but I know they are an angelic presence.

Well done. :pac:

Gotta hand it to Kenny on that one he managed to stop it turning into an angel love in. I liked how the audience erupted into laughter when Crazy lady 1 talked about finding a little white feather at the end, followed by Kenny's bird flu quip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

hehehehe, 'flocks' of angels :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watching now, I may explode before the end.

"I was getting divorced and in total dispair" I think that explains plenty there (hubby thought she was a flake so got rid and then she was miserable)

Mike

hehehehe, 'flocks' of angels :)

They're.. uhhh.... flocking this way...

*runs*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The show opens with the song "There's no one as Irish as Barack Obama" and people are giving out about this instead!! :D

http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20081107.html

The archive is up! Listening now... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

the woman was clearly mentally unbalance , and had, by her own account been told so by professionals when young.

Plenty of mediums were told they were mental. Simply as it was the time it was - and naturally people always question these things. Maybe she is genuine. i didn't see it, but heard about the programme.
    Pat Kenny always has sh*te on... nothing new..

Just has a listen.

I got the impression Pat was somewhat hesitant to attack her story for a few reasons. Obviously she comes across as a somewhat timid woman; she didn't have the support of anyone else in the studio; and it was clear to most people watching that she was as mad as a march hare.

He tried a few decent questions and got some convoluted rhetoric for answers and then gave up. The audience looked gormless, frankly, with half them not even putting up their hand in a vote.

I'd say he was thinking - 'shift her off the stage and move on'.

REAL PLAYER?

What's this? 1997?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

womoma wrote: »
    REAL PLAYER?

What's this? 1997?

What a piece of crap. Careful it doen't install itself as the default program for all your MS Office documents. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I actually like watching idiots like this on the box.
    I'm watching it now and she is a nutjob. :)
    She actually admits that her parents were told by doctors she was retarded when she was a child.

I watched out of curiosity - that poor deluded woman. And the doctors did tell her parents she was retarded...
    She needs help really, not air time

womoma wrote: »
    REAL PLAYER?

What's this? 1997?

THIS IS RTE!!!!!!!!

sparta003.jpg

But seriously, I think the later versions of Real player are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Funny, but this is nearly identical to the kind of dribble inducing cold reading or side show BS seen throughout history.

First thing out of her mouth is "I see the bright lights behind each and every person" - followed by a shot of the audience which clearly shows those bright lights ... the "Late Late Show" in cut-out.

Pat asks whether she can see his Guardian Angel (who is apprently the gatekeeper to your soul ... whatever the hell that means) and she says that when he walked into her dressing room (I'm assuming to make sure she didnt need anymore rubber wall paper) the angel "opened up the light" which is apparently something they dont always do because shes "only human". Apparently Pats angel is really beautiful but "sometimes its so hard to describe them" but "they're creatures - sometimes I call them creatures - they're spiritual beings, they're what we're afraid of (???) because they are supernatural because thats what our souls are". Okaaaaaaay.

Pat asks "How long have you been able to do this" and Lorna replies "I know nothing else". Well thanks Lorna, but I think we'd already guessed that and we're only two and a half minutes in but I digress. she says that from the first moment she opened her eyes (considering that the ability to form lasting memory doesnt develop until at least 18months its highly unlikely this is anything other than dream or lies) she saw these "beings" around her parents and older sister. Frankly, if she has been seeing these things for so long then she should have been tested for pressure on the retina or tumours (benign or otherwise) on the optic nerve.

She then follows with "I thought everyone saw these" and that "The angels told me to keep it a secret". Audible haluncination is a sign of schizophrenia isnt it? Coupled with her claim of "learning difficulties" and because of the times she grew up in if you had difficulties you were considered retarded ... nope! That jokes too easy. The doctors confirmed that she was mentally retarded (is this a slight on the scientific establishment? I'd think so except for that scientific diagnosis of being retarded) - I'm, noting this as pt2

Shes not "away with the fairys" shes "away with the angels" or "away with god". See pt 2.

The next few seconds are taken up with noises that sound like words but dont mean very much until she comes out with this gem; "We want to know that god exists and I'm afraid he does exist. I know I can't prove it because I can't tell god what to do" said like someone who is explaining that they are sorry that they "have to forclose on your home but thats just the way it is, you didnt pay your bills deadbeat!".

Pat asks how the angels interfere with the world and what she can see and hear them doing (not in a pervy way) and between the word salad of "um's" and "ah"'s she manages to tell a cute little story about "Hoses" the Angel (I cant believe I'm not making this up) who would appear to her in the classroom and she would start giggling which would make the teacher get cross with her. Apparently Angels are great "mimics" and she has to tell them to stop distracting her.

Yes, you read that right, the implication that the angels "Hoses" (named after Yahwehs preferred gardening tool) is doing a Pat Kenny impression because he wants everyone in the world to be happy is a kind of comedy the greeks didnt have a word for.

The next little story is not so cute. Apparently the angels told her that a "very special angel" would come to see her and walking across water comes the angel "Elijah" who was "so beautiful". According to Lorna she was just a child when this happened and that this "Elijah" was in the form of her one-day fully grown husband. Sorry, but I find that a little creepy as half remembered half rationalised stories go.

Pat actually redeems himself a little here by asking a pertinent question: If you have been shown your future husband and considering the Christian teaching that man has free will, is this act of showing you your future husband not a contradiction of this? (re-written for the sake of clarity). Lornas response is some muddled incoherency about the angels whispering in your ear, being your intuition and that its part of evolution that they are in communication with your soul - and no, none of these things are a direct answer or contradiction of the implication that man has no free will since he is being metaphysically buffetted by creepy invisible angels.

Kenny asks about what the angels are doing when children die and Lorna gives this smug little look to the audience and says "I give out about that all the time" as much to say "I have the ear of god and I can say these things but you cant nyeh nyeh!", insulting, self agrandizing and pathetic all at once.

"A mother must remember that that child chose them - before they were even conceived" ... "at this point the child knows some of the things that are to happen in its life but when its concieved it loses this; it doesnt remember" ... "But not everything is pre-destined, you have to remember that god gives us the choice, the free will to say no" - If there were ever a better example of the kind of wooly minded, magical thinking that people do this has got to be it.

Then we get a little more insight into this womans state of mind when she is asked about whether she knew her husband wouold get sick and die. Apparently that creepy angel "Elijah" told her that they would never grow old together - when she was just a kid. Sounds like rationalisation of traumatic events to be honest.

Lorna talks about a father that she was communicating with for some time whose child was ill. She received a text message (hardly a divine method but never mind) from him saying "all we can do now is pray" and she spoke to God who saidthat the child has been taken and she knew that the father had known by his text ... there is of course no possibility that the childs father was desperate and seeking the prayer of anyone who might be able to alter his reality so that his child could live - AND THIS WOMAN IS SELLING HER BOOK USING HIS SUFFERING!!!

If it turns out that the man didnt really exist I will of course retract the capital letters.

When Pat takes a poll of who actually believes this drek the result is a resounding "abstain", Lorna uses the opportunity to expand her sales to non-"cat-licks" (her expression, not mine) by saying she sees angels with all people ... a little patronising to other faiths isnt it? Who cares what you believe, I've got me angels!

Now we get to the good stuff - God introduced her to Satan. Actually, there is no story here but Hitler does get mentioned.

Finally an extremely unlikely story about an Iraqi family surviving a bombing and a packet of food dropped which the lost Dad survived on - apparently because God was causing these things to happen. Nice to know god is as clumsy as we mortals with the old porridge.

The book is called "Angels in my Hair" ... and the author is barking mad, patronising and according to medical opinion retarded. Fun for all the family I think.

• Advertisement

Got it in the end. Yeah Galvasean the new version seems to work ok.

Whatever about her mental state, it's clear to me that she's lying through her teeth and knows it. Absolute bull****. No wonder she got under peoples skin here. What a nauseating mixture of lies and self-delusion.

My prediction that it would become a "pseudo-spiritual circle jerk" was miles off. It was just pure embarrassing.

Shes about as convincing as a brick impersonating a sponge.

The story about the dying child. That made me angry. Who does she think she is?
    It takes a very special sort of person to delude themselves to the extent she has.

The highlight for me:
    "Iraq, you know.... where all the war is.."
    dozy so and so

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Is this the kind of drivel that passes for prime time Friday entertainment now? Bring back Gay ffs. :pac:

Sherifu wrote: »
    Bring back Gay ffs. :pac:

Woah, lets not make any rash decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Most of the people complaining about the show here are just saying it was terrible television and they feel put out that they are being made finance such rubbish. This is all well and good and I sympathise with that.

However I have another take on it that no one has really mentioned, although Limerick Woody started to allude to it in post 64.

There are many conditions in the human body and brain that can cause someone to hear voices. More often than not such voices are benign, but they are a symptom of physical and mental problems. Alas people do not recognise the problem in themselves or in others.

Left unchecked the underlying cause of the illness can progress until its too late to save the person from what ever the problem is. The problem can be many things too from chemical imbalances in the brain to even cancer at any part of the body which is damaging the body’s normal chemical state.

Sometimes the voices can stop being benign and a quick search of the media can turn up many stories of the most awful atrocities committed by people where "The voices made me do it".

As a state broadcaster the RTE is in a unique position to highlight these conditions and show the public how to recognise the problem and to diagnose it in others, or see it in themselves. They can show the voices are a symptom of an underlying illness which need to be checked before they progress too far. They can urge people not to trust the voices ESPECIALLY when they suggest deception and lies.

Instead they trot out this sick creature and glorify it. They vindicate the voices in the heads of the mentally unstable. They make it all seem perfectly normal. She says at one point that her angels wanted her to keep it a secret that she was seeing and hearing them, thus telling the sick of Ireland that its normal and good for these voices to insist on deception.

Her reference to god not only vindicates these voices but suggests that they bring gods word so whatever they tell you to do must be right and it must be proper.

Is this not exceedingly dangerous?

How long will it be before a mentally unstable person in Ireland commits a gross atrocity because of the voices in his or her head? Will this person have watched this show and thought the voices must be angels. Will they have ceased to entertain thoughts of seeking medical advice because they now know they are ok, its just the angels?

Will anyone even remember Pay Kenny trotting this woman out when it happens and stand up and say "Look, this is what you get when you tell people its ok to be sick in this way and not seek help".

It may be a new low that they wanted to stoop to in an attempt to boost ratings of one of their failing flag ship shows… but this time it’s a dangerous low… this level of ignorance is dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I am watching it at the moment and feeling physically sick. It is really pathetic. Where on earth did they find this specimen?

Incredible! She said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That wasn't really anything but boring and a little sad. Can't believe I installed Real Player for this.

Oh dear, she even looks a bit like Sarah Palin...

How did that tripe get a 17minute slot while the piece on the latest in medical technology only gets 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Galvasean wrote: »
    Oh dear, she even looks a bit like Sarah Palin...

How did that tripe get a 17minute slot while the piece on the latest in medical technology only gets 10?

Answer: Angels.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i can't get the video to work, god damn mplayer plugin just tries to preload the entire late late

Advertisement