Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bins in Galway

Options
  • 08-11-2008 12:56am

This is something that has been irking me lately. For a city the size of Galway, the number of bins in or around the city is atrocious. Take for example if you walk from the Eye Cinema via College Road, you pass one bin and one bin only. And this is hidden in under a tree by the County council building (whichever is the one further from the city). Or if you walk via Bohermore/Prospect Hill one again there are 2 bins (one's by the roundabout and the other is at the end of Bohermore).

I remember ages ago, maybe a few years back, somebody writing into the Advertiser and saying the exact same thing and nothing has been done about it. After work I would regularly pop into the Topaz/Statoil station and buy a sandwich for the walk home. It's irritating having to carry it for a good 10-15 minutes because there is nowhere to put it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

no bins = no places to put bombs

win

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

After work I would regularly pop into the Topaz/Statoil station and buy a sandwich for the walk home. It's irritating having to carry it for a good 10-15 minutes because there is nowhere to put it!

You know, if you buy a sandwich, it might be an idea to eat it, instead of throwing it in a bin... :p

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Nah I agree wit boney. I live on bothermore so I know exactly what you mean. On the way home from a night out its the same, carrying a load of packaging. :mad:
    The road at currys. aldi, mcdonalds certainly could do with one. look in over the hedge there and its a landfill with rubbish. Bin at the bus stop would help that!

Zzippy wrote: »
    You know, if you buy a sandwich, it might be an idea to eat it, instead of throwing it in a bin... :p

Have you tried eating the sandwiches there at around 10pm? They get all soggy.

Nah, it's irritating carrying the packaging with me because there's nowhere to put it.

More bins = more council staff required to keep emptying them.

It's down to how much tax we pay and how the council is funded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

This bugs the hell out of me aswell. Rubbish collection is one of the basic things a council should have organised and Galway county council have never put in the effort to do it properly. Also since 'mandatory' recycling has been brought in around the city there have been no can banks and practically no improvement in public recycling facilities, and the majority of people that live in the city live in apartment complexes where there is no recycling facility at all and all the rubbish is sent to landfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

I Smoke & I don't like throwing my butt on the ground or in a gully, I also dont like carrying a butt for 20 minutes before I get to a bin.

as for the argument that the council would need to employ more staff, that is sh*te the staff they have would just have to some extra stops.

P.S. I agree with Bat boy about the lack of public recycling facilities there is another thread floating around that is giving out about there being nowhere to bring the old advertisers to.

OH and remind me again, what party does the Mayor belong to?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

I agree. No bin from city centre to NUIG (walking over the bridge, past the Cathedral way), so so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Throw it on the ground, problem solved. (I jest, I jest :))

It has always been pretty hard to find a bin in Galway once you get away from the centre.

Advertisement