Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The dream is alive, I can run up the hills every night..."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

congrats, brilliant time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

DCM 4:28:10 gun time :D

That was the most painful, tiring, stressful, emotional rollercoaster I've ever done. I ****ing loved it, and I'll be back next year. :D

Bang on. Never said a truer word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

That was the most painful, tiring, stressful, emotional rollercoaster I've ever done. I ****ing loved it, and I'll be back next year. :D
    I can relate to that, I felt quite emotional all the way round the course - I still am a bit really...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Just to add - chip time 4:24:56...

Sub-4:25 :D

Well done rainbow...enjoy the moment,you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running RK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Great running RK! Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

RK you're a star. From the point you started not so very long ago that is one helluva achievement. You ought to be very, very proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Wow Rainbow Kirby some achievement and an excellent time for your first marathon!!! Was thinking of ye yesterday and Im delighted to be reading such excellent reports from ye. Well done again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Huge congrats to you on your great performance - well deserved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done, super running yet again,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

So RK, you and me (and 12,000 others), same time, same place, different pace next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

goofygirl wrote: »
    So RK, you and me (and 12,000 others), same time, same place, different pace next year?

Hell yeah! :D

Today... everything hurts. I have to go down stairs sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done Rainbow Kirby, you (along with all the other boardsies) must be delighted with yourself. Congrats!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Hell yeah! :D

Today... everything hurts. I have to go down stairs sideways.

I hear ya. I'm on my laptop in bed, really not looking forward to going down stairs, let alone a transatlantic flight tomorrow!

I'm in college, thankfully there is a lift to my 11am class (on the 2nd floor)!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Super big styleee well done from me. Fanbloodytastic on making your target. I think you only realise what a big deal it is when youre in the middle of mile 20 going holy god, 6 miles still to go. :D

Sorry I didnt get to meet ya (or any of the others) on the day.

And glad you seem to still have all your toenails!!

I really hope that I continue having all 10 toenails intact - it appears that it was actually the formation of some huge blisters on the 2nd toe of each foot. I've got Morton's toe on both feet (2nd toe longer than big toe) so I'll need to watch that in future because it *did* become an issue in the last 4-5 miles, despite the fact that I've never had any problems with the particular shoes and socks I was wearing yesterday.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have that mortons toe too, then. I just never knew what it was called. I wear my running shoes a size bigger than my regular shoes, but I still stub my toes sometimes. I never realised that losing toenails was a regular running thing till this year. :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I don't think I said it yesterday but well done thats a really, really fantastic time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congrats RK, delighted for you! Great time, your training really paid off. Fair play to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Told you that you were going to do great Rainbow Kirby :-)
    Congrats :)

Post-DCM navel gazing time...

So the big and blatantly obvious question is... What now?

Right now, the hard part is getting out of my chair... all the better for killing time online planning races :D

I'd like to be able to bounce off this and do well in some short stuff over the winter, possibly go for a 5k in December and the Raheny 5 in January. I *think* I can PB in both, my 5k PB (26:22) is one of my softest ones given that it was done back in March, just before my finals, while off my head on painkillers. I'd like to think I could get close to 25 minutes for 5k, given that the first 5k of the 5 mile race in the park was done in about 25:30. I'd love to go sub-40 at the Raheny 5, but somehow I don't think that will happen.

I really don't think there will be a spring marathon for me. If I had the money I'd consider it, but to be perfectly honest I'm probably better off doing some shorter stuff over the winter, building a good base (I'd like to be comfortably running 30-40 miles a week) and then starting a more intense program in June for Dublin 2010. Next year there will be more long runs, I'd like to get at least 2-3 20 milers in and another few in the 16-20 mile range. I'd like to set 4:10 as a hand-wavey target for next year. I think I can get that, maybe get close to 4 hours - yesterday was my first, I paced very evenly (2:11:50 for the first half, 2:13:06 for the second), and never walked, so I think that with more miles in the legs I can go a bit faster.

Which brings me to my next point... what am I best suited to? I have an inkling that I'm slightly better at going long than I am at the shorter races, and I think I enjoy that too - I preferred the steady burn of a sub-2 HM (or the OMGMAKEITSTOP burn of a sub-4:30 marathon!) than the OMGGONNAPUKE feeling of a fast 5k! My times don't really reflect a bias either way, as my half-marathon time predicts virtually everything shorter on McMillan, but is about 14 minutes off my marathon time (it predicts 4:11).

So if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to make them! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Try not get into the mindset of 'I am a marathon runner only' or 'I am a track runner only' etc. Have a go at the lot - road, track, Xcountry then decide what you prefer. Join the BHAA, they do different types of races and its a great way to try out the various options.

/me hums the "On The Road Again" song from Shrek

3 miles this afternoon at granny-pace, got caught in the rain! Lungs not too happy at going past a bonfire roughly every mile.

Still though, it's nice to be back! Am planning on following the Higdon novice post-marathon schedule for the next month to slowly bring the legs back to life. I'll be doing the Jingle Bells 5k, but can't do the Aware 10k due to having an exam that evening.

At the suggestion of a friend of mine... before and after pics. Finally time to publically embarrass myself!

kirby drunk @ Dublin Pride, June '08
    kirby @ DCM (Short blonde hair, blue shirt)

My god woman - some difference. If you don't mind me asking how much did you lose?

Looooking good! Congrats

I lost 4st 4lbs. Which I'm rapidly on my way to putting back on if I don't stop eating...

wow a hearty well done there. I lost just over 5stone few years back. i was gearing towards 16 stone when i left school in 2005 and ever since i started college that september i slowly became more aware of nutririon/fitness and now i suppose i love running so much because it's somethig i never thought i could do or would be able to do. Go figure.

Well done. I know how hard it can be to lose weight. Wouldn't it be great if we could eat to lose weight?!!!! oh nomnomnom I am currently muching a bagel with butter and a mug of hot chocolate

Oh and if i keep eating the way i am since monday ... well lets just say it will be an EEK situation!!!

ULstudent wrote: »
    Oh and if i keep eating the way i am since monday ... well lets just say it will be an EEK situation!!!
    I think it's time to go on a diet until Christmas for me! So hard to resist the lure of leftover Halloween goodies though...

• Advertisement

Brack with butter ftw!

Advertisement