Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The dream is alive, I can run up the hills every night..."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Fingers crossed. Breaking the hour for 10k is one of my goals for 2009 now. I'd also like to break 30 mins for 5k.
    By the way I ran 63 mins for a 10k back in April, and under 23 for 5k today so I know you can do it :) and your log shows that you will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Is it bad that I'm already trying to decide what the next race will be?

No its a great thing, shows your enjoying it thats the main thing:) lots of people here know exactly where they will be in 6 , 9 months time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Is it bad that I'm already trying to decide what the next race will be?

Not at all, planning your races is a great incentive for yourself. As you get fitter and stronger you will probably plan further and further ahead! I started running nearly 2 years ago and I've just devised the most complex training and racing plan yet for 2009. This fitness stuff is really addictive:)

3 miles this evening, started out easy and kept getting faster...

Didn't time things at all tonight, as the intention was just to take it easy, but things didn't happen that way!

• Advertisement

3 miles this evening in around 30 minutes.
    Felt rather good, though I really should be studying for my smelly Operating Systems 2 exam which is on tomorrow! Down with that sort of thing...

Crapulent 3 miles today, felt tired all the way around. I blame exams.

Crapulent 3 miles today, felt tired all the way around. I blame exams.
    Exams are bound to take its toll on you, I know when I had a lot going on I found my form dipped, but on the plus side the run will be good for your exams :)

Best of luck with them

After a few exam-related days off, I went back to the usual tonight. Just went out for a nice quiet 3 miles, and it felt really nice to get some fresh air and to know that I'm finally free from the college monster, at least for a little while!

Didn't bother with a watch or anything tonight, just put some of my favourite music on and kept to a comfortable pace. I'm rather happy I did, that was a really enjoyable run.

3 miles this evening, had a couple of little niggles going on. On Thursday I wore different shoes to what I usually wear, and yesterday it felt like my shins were on fire. Today I went back to my old shoes, which are not in the best of condition because I've been wearing them for about 5 months and I'm fat enough to kill shoes quickly. Blargle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Rainbow Kirby at least you got back out and learned a valuable lesson, I too flirted with the idea of changing runners, I normally wear Brooks adrenaline but fancied a change but at the last second said No you fool, don't risk injury, stick to what your feet know. Keep up the good work.

3 miles this evening, I need new shoes so bad it's not even funny - my NB 764s just feel horrible. Over the last couple of runs my left shin and right hip have been at me a little.

The problems are (a) lack of money, but I should get cash as pressies for Christmas, and (b) I need to find something new to wear, what i've been wearing is a 5 year old model! (769s are out on RRS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Get yourself into the arnotts sale starting on stephen's day and pick up a couple of pairs to keep you going for a while.

Gonna see if I can nip into Mick Dowling in Terenure tomorrow and get some shoe recommendations. Pretty much any online shoe recommender puts me in motion control shoes (because at just over 12st I'm a fat ****er), apart from the Road Runner Sports one which recommends well-cushioned stability ones. Was a little gutted to see all the lovely men's Asics stuff in the Marathon Sports outlet store in Tallaght yesterday when I can't get away with wearing anything other than women's styles in either a 7 or 7.5!

Damn my feet and their expensive tastes. Went into Mick Dowling's shop today to get some recommendations - after hating quite a few of the suggested Nike pairs (felt like walking on pillows going around the shop in them, didn't feel properly supported at all), I then tried a pair of Kayanos... felt like putting a glove on my feet. Goddamnit.

*ahem* Early start on Saturday for the Arnotts sale then.

Also - why do the mens colours have to be so much better? The red mens Kayano 15s I saw in Elverys today are hawt :(

Because this is a training log - haven't run since Monday. I don't want to run in either pair of shoes that I have here at the moment (my NB 764s are pretty much completely shot, and my Brooks Dyad 4s feel like running in clown shoes).

Bah, I think I'm addicted. Spent all of Christmas Eve and all of Christmas Day thinking "goddamnit, I want to go run". 3 miles just there this afternoon, the whole time with a mental conflict of "feck, I need new shoes" vs "goddamnit, this is an absolutely gorgeous day to run". Took things very slowly (at a guess, outside 11 minute mile pace, but I wasn't timing myself), felt a couple of niggles out of my left shin. Apart from that - everything was fine apart from feeling a bit heavy, but I expected that after several days of gluttony.

Bought Kayanos this morning in the Arnotts sale, a terrifying experience! Glad that I was able to get my hands on a pair of size 7s though - set me back €70. Found them to be rather comfortable straight out of the box. Did just under 3 miles this afternoon in 28.24, felt pretty good. Another lovely day to run, would have done more but I don't want to push things too much in new shoes.

Am also currently reading Murakami's book, and LOVING it.

Ok, I've been an awful slacker over the last few weeks, especially over Christmas. Time to harden the **** up. 4 miles today, and I'm going to try and do that for all my regular runs from now on. (and by "all my regular runs" I mean the ones during the week, I'll run longer on Sundays!)

Would have loved to have had a go at the Tom Brennan 5k on New Year's Day, but I'm visiting friends in Drogheda for New Year's and won't be around until the evening. Ah well, **** happens, plenty more reasons to lace up my shoes in 2009! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Am also currently reading Murakami's book, and LOVING it.

About 3/4 the way through it myself. Nice read and but certainly a couple things struck me so far.

He contradicts himself about how competitive he is!
    Its poetic in comparison to other books I've read
    I rowed on Charles a bit in Boston a few years back and I wish I had that route to run! I wish I lived in Boston for that reason!

And finally I get my first run of the new year in. 4 miles in 41.35.

Would have gone yesterday, but I drank an absolutely monumental amount on New Year's Eve, and was in no fit state to run anywhere. Getting stuck sitting in a backward-facing seat on a train from Drogheda to Dublin really didn't help matters either.

Also - new year, new playlist. Currently working on a playlist of Viking metal (Ensiferum, Tyr, Korpiklaani, Amon Amarth etc) to run to :p

• Advertisement

4 miles this afternoon, felt pretty good all the way around. However because my sleeping pattern is so messed up (because I'm on my Xmas break from college) going for a run at 3pm feels like going early in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

:) Viking metal is sure to put a pep in your step alright.

3 miles this afternoon, bloody cold! Was dodging patches of ice virtually the whole way around. (That said, the Aware 10k gave me good practise at that!)

4 miles today, thankfully it was a little bit warmer today than it was a few days ago. Felt pretty good throughout, but I have a little bit of ache under my knees now. Weird.

*swears at weather*

Planned 5 miles today, going nowhere until the wind ****s off for a while. It's not much fun at all running straight into a wind gusting to 50-60 km/h roaring off the Dublin mountains.

Down with that sort of thing, bring back my beautiful dry, cold weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

*swears at weather*

Down with that sort of thing, bring back my beautiful dry, cold weather!

I agree but sometimes you just have to get out and run in it. I always think to myself "what happens if the weather is like this the day of my planned race ?"

I agree but sometimes you just have to get out and run in it. I always think to myself "what happens if the weather is like this the day of my planned race ?"
    +1 these days are the days that make your good days feel easy...

4 miles today, slightly faster than intended! (9.40/mi pace)

I blame the 4 cups of coffee I've already had today. :pac:

4 miles this evening. Almost mild enough to break out the running skirt, if it wasn't for the rain. Down with that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Hi rainbow kirby, enjoying reading through your log :) I've a bit to go to catch up with you yet but it's nice to see your times improving as your going along...it gives me some hope for myself :)

Have you figured out what race you'll do next? I must start planning that myself to keep me motivated.

Fair play anyway, I'll be back to take a look at how things are going for you..hopefully my times will come up a bit soon. Hope the studies are going well, M

Advertisement