Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The dream is alive, I can run up the hills every night..."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

4 miles today, decided to bring out the classic metal for this one. Ride The Lightning ftw :)

Felt ok pretty much all the way through, but I'm starting to think it's time for a new sports bra! One of mine was bought when I was still 14 stone-ish, somehow that doesn't work quite the same when I'm down to 11st 10...

Ok, I admit it, 4th year is kicking my ass. 4 miles today and I felt guilty that I wasn't doing college work for that time. :eek:

3 miles this evening, in around 30 minutes. Now back to killing my brain slowly with Matlab.

3 miles this evening, 31 minutes. I'm bloody knackered. I blame college - it's that stage of term where I have a million assignments due and not enough time to do them all, so when I get out to run I don't have anything like the energy that I'd like to have. It's a little frustrating, but there's not much I can do about it, such is life when you're in final year.

3 miles in 31 minutes this evening. I blame the 1000 mile challenge and wanting to hit 100 miles before the end of February!

• Advertisement

Slacked off yesterday by, erm, spending 5 hours working on my interim report. 5 miles this evening, doesn't make up for the 6-7 I'd wanted to do yesterday but sacrificed on the altar of my final year project.
    Just - finally - entered the Great Ireland Run too. :)

5 miles this evening in 51 minutes. Pretty happy with that, apart from getting a Kayano full of water after about 4 miles because some idiot decided to take up the whole dry part of the footpath and wouldn't move over at all. Down with that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

5 miles this evening in 51 minutes. Pretty happy with that, apart from getting a Kayano full of water after about 4 miles because some idiot decided to take up the whole dry part of the footpath and wouldn't move over at all. Down with that sort of thing.

well done your going well now.

Hmm... race-related pondering.

Basically - Women's Mini-Marathon vs Cork relays, or an alternative June race.

Tbh I'm not hugely in the mood for another 10k only 2 months after the Great Ireland run, I'm kinda in the mood for training for something longer. I'm also not very impressed that my Aware 10k time won't be accepted for a "fast jogger" start number for the Mini-Marathon, and I'd be cutting things a bit fine in terms of getting my entry in if I wanted to do it and I waited until after the Great Ireland Run in the hope of going sub-60 there for a "runner" number.

The issue (for me) with the Cork relays would be that money is very tight as I don't have a job at the moment, so it would end up working out quite expensive for me.

Despite the fact I'm hitting pain time with the end of my degree, I would dearly love to have a June half-marathon or 10-mile race to train for, but the race calendar is a little against me on that one!

*ponders on while procrastinating about finishing her Connectionist Computing assignment*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Hey rain,

Have you timed a 10K run yet? How'd it go?

• Advertisement

I did a 10k race 3 months ago, the Aware 10k in the Phoenix Park. I finished in 1.05.59, which wasn't too bad considering the course was like an ice rink and I'd done a lot less running in preparation for it than I've done now. I haven't properly timed a 10k run since then, though I did have a long slow run of nearly 7 miles that took me 1 hour 16 minutes.

4 miles in just under 41 minutes this afternoon. Felt pretty tired towards the end, but the wind down the Firhouse Road really wasn't helping matters there.

I think I need to buy some shorts sometime soon... It's getting a little too mild to be wearing trackie bottoms while running! I can't even switch to my capris at the moment because I bought them about 35lbs ago... they're a big size 16 and I'm down to a 14 now.

10k in 1.07 this evening, through Woddle country and ****ing awful weather. It was drizzling lightly when I left my house, and absolutely chucking it down by the time I got home.

After chickening out of a long run yesterday due to weather, I really had to get a decent run today, and despite more crap weather I got one. :)

So... I think good things might happen if I enter this 5k on Sunday. Went out for 3 miles today in what was intended to be a relatively easy run, but ended up being just slightly faster than I intended ;)

3 miles - 28 minutes. :D

I blame the fact that I wore shorts today while running for the first time ever. I'm starting to feel like a real runner :pac:

So... I think good things might happen if I enter this 5k on Sunday. Went out for 3 miles today in what was intended to be a relatively easy run, but ended up being just slightly faster than I intended ;)

3 miles - 28 minutes. :D

I blame the fact that I wore shorts today while running for the first time ever. I'm starting to feel like a real runner :pac:

Well done. Well done on the 10K as well.

Pretty much did the same run as you today in the same time. I pushed pretty hard though so I don't expect to improve my time too much in the 5K on Sunday.

Good luck if you do it.

5 miles today in 52 minutes, was grand most of the way through it but felt like I was fading a little at the end. Wind blowing straight down the Firhouse Road really doesn't help.

Have entered the 5k on Sunday, out loud anything sub-30 will make me happy, quiet goal is 27.30 - but we'll have to wait and see.

Um, tomorrow is probably going to suck. I've had an extremely bad toothache last night and all day today, and I can't get to a dentist that I can afford until Monday. I'm still planning to run in the morning, but I won't be surprised if my time is somewhere up in the 33-35 minute range due to the effects of huge quantities of painkillers. :mad::(

Just home from the St Patrick's Festival 5k...

By my watch: 26.22 :)

*bounces*

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Yea Rainbow, good on you, running through the pain of a toothache too :eek: Glad to hear you beat all the times you had suggested, well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Excellent time. Well done:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done way ahead of your sub 30

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done Kirby. Great time.

Chip time 26.22, my watch timing was exactly correct.

I'm mildly amused that the "Boards AC" on my registration form was magically converted to "Brothers Pearse AC" on the site for the chip timing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Chip time 26.22, my watch timing was exactly correct.

I'm mildly amused that the "Boards AC" on my registration form was magically converted to "Brothers Pearse AC" on the site for the chip timing...

Well done RK.

Looking at your training times I was 100% sure you'd go a fair bit under 30.

Great progress.

Well done.

Next up, sub 60 for the 10K. :)

Reality (and painful dentistry) strikes. Had to have a tooth extracted this morning, have been told not to run today. A little annoying, because I wanted to get out for a few miles just to loosen the legs out a bit, but there's not much I can do about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done all your hard training is really paying of . Really well done :)

Dear Kirby,
    Learn to listen to your body. Seriously.
    Yours Sincerely, Legs.

6 miles this morning, when I really didn't have it in me. I'm on 2 kinds of strong antibiotics and I totally underestimated how much that would take out of me. Was ok for the first 3 miles, but faded very bad afterwards. First 3 miles was 29 minutes, second 3 was 35 minutes - so I went out too quick too. It's also warm today, and I had a very dry mouth from about 2 miles onwards, which is caused by my painkillers (which I am currently trying to get off before I develop a nice opiate tolerance...).

Time overall was 1.03.59 according to my watch, hopefully I won't be dying on my feet this much at the Great Ireland Run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Dear Kirby,
    Learn to listen to your body. Seriously.
    Yours Sincerely, Legs.

6 miles this morning, when I really didn't have it in me. I'm on 2 kinds of strong antibiotics and I totally underestimated how much that would take out of me. Was ok for the first 3 miles, but faded very bad afterwards. First 3 miles was 29 minutes, second 3 was 35 minutes - so I went out too quick too. It's also warm today, and I had a very dry mouth from about 2 miles onwards, which is caused by my painkillers (which I am currently trying to get off before I develop a nice opiate tolerance...).

Time overall was 1.03.59 according to my watch, hopefully I won't be dying on my feet this much at the Great Ireland Run!

When your body starts talking to you, listen! Painkillers, antibiotics & running don't mix. Go easy or rest until they are finished or you will still be recovering when the GIR comes around.

On the plus side, bet you did not think you would do something like that when you started running just a few months ago.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Great run in the St Patrick's race. Hope to do the Great Ireland run too, but whereas you'll probably be looking to break the 50mins for the 10k, think i'll be still trying to break the 60mins.

Good stuff

Advertisement