Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The dream is alive, I can run up the hills every night..."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hahaha, I haven't a hope of going sub-50 for the GIR. The McMillan calculator suggests a time of 54 minutes for 10k, so I'm targeting 55 minutes as a quiet to-myself goal, and 60 minutes as my main goal. I've never run sub-hour for the distance before, so I'll be very happy to go sub-60 here.

3 slow as hell miles along the Dodder. Couldn't concentrate on studying, so I needed to get out for some air. Not going to be able to get out much next week, got finals :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

3 slow as hell miles along the Dodder. Couldn't concentrate on studying, so I needed to get out for some air. Not going to be able to get out much next week, got finals :(

If you want a running partner anytime over the next couple of weeks and you're along this section of the dodder let me know.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/dublin/178123755293997912

Sure, I'm up in Firhouse but would be happy to nip over.

4 miles in 37 minutes. Didn't intend to go out as hard as I did! ;)

• Advertisement

4 miles in 40 minutes. Felt very tired all the way around, though that'll learn me for heading straight from 4 hours of studying into my running shoes. Glad I got out though, needed the break.

Exams start tomorrow, taking it easy next week - pretty much any running I do will be 3-4 miles at a very slow pace. I'll be leaving my watch at home and putting some damn good music on my iPod.

Wow, I take a couple of exams and my log is on page 3!

5 miles in 51 minutes this morning, felt very comfortable. My Great Ireland Run stuff arrived this morning (finally!) - starting to get excited now!

Now back to Multi-Agent Systems, one of the most obnoxiously annoying subjects known to humanity. :mad:

First of all... Finished my exams, only final year project to go! :D I celebrated this by getting quite drunk last night, then sleeping for 14 hours.

4 miles in just over 40 minutes this evening, felt quite comfortable. Planning on getting in a decently long run either tomorrow or Monday, then taking it easy (shorter runs) for most of the week to try and make sure I'm bouncing on the morning of the Great Ireland Run.

Starting to think I'll be really annoyed if I'm not sub-hour, because 10 min/mile pace is starting to feel quite comfortable indeed! (yes, I know a 1:00:00 10k is 9.37/mile, but blargle, details)

7 miles in 72 minutes. Felt bloody tired towards the end, but a really cool part to one of my favourite songs came on and that helped to psyche me up and keep me going :)

Well, that sucked. Only 3 miles, but I felt flat as a pancake all the way around. I think I'm still feeling Sunday's run in my legs a bit, plus I felt a little niggle in my left knee, which is a bit worrying. :(

*sigh*

67 miles for March. In one way I would have liked to have done a bit more, but it's still a fairly decent increase over my January and February mileage. Probably going to shoot for 75-80 in April, but my final year project may have something to say about that.

• Advertisement

Just so you know...

Since we're both aiming for sub 60 minutes, another goal of mine is to do a better sub 60 than rainbow kirby. :D

Good luck on Sunday.

accensi0n wrote: »
    Since we're both aiming for sub 60 minutes, another goal of mine is to do a better sub 60 than rainbow kirby. :D
    Hehe, you probably will too - you did a much better 5k than me a couple of weeks ago. That said, I could just tuck in behind you and be drafted to a sub-60 :)

Slightly unintentional tempo run - 3 miles in 27 minutes. Covered the first mile in 10 minutes, then somehow started going rather quickly!
    Knee feels fine, maybe it's all in the mind...

*drumroll*

Happy kirby is (mostly) happy.

I've spent most of this week doubting myself and being horribly negative, and letting a little knee niggle get to me quite a bit. "Sure that's me ****ed now" etc. Somehow managed to end up roughly in the middle of the 45-55 minute group at the start, due to trying to come in off the side of the group to the front of the 55-65 minute group and things getting messy. Almost tripped over walkers ( :eek: ) about 5 or 6 times in the first 2km. I knew that if I kept to a pace of less than 6 mins per km I'd be fine for sub-hour, and it all pretty much went that way. Thought I was falling behind after 4km, but I'd actually done my mental sums a bit wrong.

Went through 5k in 28.07 (by my watch). Felt by about 7km that I was starting to fall behind, that all my energy was gone - just kept repeating to myself "6 min km and it'll be fine". And it was - though I barely had the energy to pick up at all towards the finish.

Absolutely delighted to have finally gone sub-hour, but I have a *lot* of work to do in terms of my base-building. I don't have as much of a base as I'd like to have, and I felt I really didn't have much strength towards the end of the race. I wonder if training for a half would sort that out :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done RK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

*drumroll*

Happy kirby is (mostly) happy.

I've spent most of this week doubting myself and being horribly negative, and letting a little knee niggle get to me quite a bit. "Sure that's me ****ed now" etc. Somehow managed to end up roughly in the middle of the 45-55 minute group at the start, due to trying to come in off the side of the group to the front of the 55-65 minute group and things getting messy. Almost tripped over walkers ( :eek: ) about 5 or 6 times in the first 2km. I knew that if I kept to a pace of less than 6 mins per km I'd be fine for sub-hour, and it all pretty much went that way. Thought I was falling behind after 4km, but I'd actually done my mental sums a bit wrong.

Went through 5k in 28.07 (by my watch). Felt by about 7km that I was starting to fall behind, that all my energy was gone - just kept repeating to myself "6 min km and it'll be fine". And it was - though I barely had the energy to pick up at all towards the finish.

Absolutely delighted to have finally gone sub-hour, but I have a *lot* of work to do in terms of my base-building. I don't have as much of a base as I'd like to have, and I felt I really didn't have much strength towards the end of the race. I wonder if training for a half would sort that out :pac:

Well done all your hard work is paying off, congrats.. next stop sub 50 ;)

Really well done RK.

You'll fit right into that 45-55 group next. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running, and congrats on the new PB! What's the next target? 55 or 50? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

That's fantastic, congratulations!

Great running, and congrats on the new PB! What's the next target? 55 or 50? :)

55 first. I think it'll be a long time before I can do a 50 minute 10k, considering my 5k race pace is somewhere around 8.30/mile. As I said, I have a lot of base-building work to do, I could really feel it hurting by the 7k mark, and I think I can do a better 10k if I can build a much stronger aerobic base. Time to increase the weekly mileage, methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Wow, well done!!!!
    Looking back a year ago & you didn't even start the couch to 5k yet, and look at you now!!! Congrats!! You are an inspiration!!

Woke up this morning and it felt like someone had taken a hammer to my quads. Good ol' "Morning after the race before" feeling! No running today, but I wanted to do *something*, so I went swimming. 1,500m in the pool and some fearsome goggle marks later, I do feel quite a bit better! I'd forgotten how much I like swimming, and I'd like to try and fit in a swim once a week from now on.

I think I'm going to do that half in Clontarf on 28 June. 12 weeks to stretch a 7-8 mile long run to 13.1 - I figure the training for it will help me to build a decent base to have a really good go at the shorter races over the summer. I'm currently looking at training plans for the half, playing around with the Runner's World SmartCoach and looking at the Hal Higdon novice and intermediate plans. The mileage I was doing in training for the GIR would be somewhere around week 7-8 of the novice HH program, and around week 2-3 of the intermediate program. I'd have no particular time in mind, just to get my fat ass across the finish line, preferably without having to take a break to walk.

One shall have to wait and see! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Fair play hon, Well done on the sub 60....maybe I should claim your time as my target for the 1st June race that cannot be named :)

Great to hear that the training is paying off :) Wonder what the summer weather will be like-are we newbies going to drown in a flood on these first half marathons-or are we going to bake and dry-out in the sun :confused:

Procrastination ftw!

Bastardised Hal Higdon intermediate plan, Google Docs style

Opinions appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Is this just a veiled attempt to remind us of your up-coming birthday? :p
    You're but a spring-chicken!

Plan looks good, but why not find a 10k race, like he suggests in the schedule? Handy to help you to fix on your ideal race pace for the half marathon. Your pace will definitely pick up on a schedule with that much mileage and speedwork.

I'm doing the Cork relays on 1 June - I don't know what leg I'll be doing but it'll most likely be a leg of about 5 miles. I'd be shooting for a 5 mile time of around 45 minutes. That's about as close as I'll probably get during this few months.

any of the stuff in yellow on the plan is a reason why I may miss a run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

55 first. I think it'll be a long time before I can do a 50 minute 10k, considering my 5k race pace is somewhere around 8.30/mile. As I said, I have a lot of base-building work to do, I could really feel it hurting by the 7k mark, and I think I can do a better 10k if I can build a much stronger aerobic base. Time to increase the weekly mileage, methinks.

I think you might suprise yourself actually , you have the right attitude and put in the hard work so you may improve faster then you expect, just keep working the way you have been and the times will come. I ran 63 mins in bupa last year, and fount that I improved in spurts so once you get sub 60 it becomes easier. Your also getting close to that in training too i noticed a 72 min 7 mile last week so the stamina is there just a bit of speed work needed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Procrastination ftw!

Bastardised Hal Higdon intermediate plan, Google Docs style

Opinions appreciated.

Well done on your GIR 10K time - great progress.

Your plan looks good, some serious mileage there. You might want to add up your weekly mileages, so you are sure you are not increasing too fast, especially around the time of the Cork relays.

Best of luck.

3 miles today. Didn't get to run yesterday because of the **** weather, so I decided to replace the speedwork session today with yesterday's run because I'm still feeling slight after-effects from Sunday. Felt good to be back out, but my legs didn't feel right until I'd done a mile and felt very flat in the last mile.

• Advertisement

4 miles today, in just over 38 minutes. Went out way too quickly, straight down the road for the first mile with the wind at my back! Started feeling the effects when I turned to go back uphill, but kept the pace up decently.

On the downside, I felt my knee niggling a bit while in the shower afterwards, but it seems to be ok now. I'll have to keep an eye on that though. :eek:

Advertisement