Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

internal network website

• 08-11-2008 3:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭

hello

i am on the student council in my school there is a network setup and we would like to put a internal website on it.

how would i do this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

I'm guessing you have a server installed windows / mac / linux ?

You can use IIS in windows its probably the handiest...Just plonk the files in the inetpub/wwwroot directory

should mention if your using standard windows xp rather than windows server you will need to install IIS via control panel first .. add remove programs > add remove windows components >tick the IIS box ... you will also be limited to the number of people able to connect to IIS in xp without a hack.

On a mac, you can just enable Websharing in preferences... and plonk the files in the webfolder ~library/WebServer

On both the above just type the ip address of the server from whatever machine on the network & bang you have an internal website.

If your running linux I have no idea ... anyone else ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

deevey wrote: »
    ... If your running linux I have no idea ... anyone else ?
    Not that much different. Install Apache (most likely installed anyway) using the distro's package manager and drop the files into /var/www/htdocs (most usually, can vary). Then just make sure the Apache daemon is running and port 80 isn't blocked by any firewall running on the server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I'd like to do this too.
    Can you run mySQL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

You can run a website on almost anything these days, for instance I run my personal website on a PDA (using PocketHPH as webserver).

If you have some old banger of a computer knocking around, install Linux + Apache and just look up on the internet about where to put your website files and off you go.

Advertisement