Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with nuvi 250w

• 08-11-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

i've been asked to look at someones nuvi 250w.

its only a few months old, owner claims he's not done anything to it, or to his knowledge no one else has, he'd be the type of guy who would not know aboout map updates/ hooking it up to a pc etc.

he claims that he switched it on one day and the touch screen calibration came up first, which he did.

it then attempted to load the maps, beeped twice and said "cannot unlock maps"

then the message "no detailedmaps found that support routing. the nuvi cannot be used without them"

no correct me if i'm wrong, but maps dont just dissapear? is he lying?

any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Did he buy it new or 2nd hand? If there's an SD memory card in the unit, take it out while the unit is switched off, then switch it on and see what happens.

If it was purchased new and there's no memory card in it, did he hook it up to a PC and delete or move any files on the unit? if not then he needs to return it for a warranty repair/replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I was using my dad's 250W the other day and this happened to me.

I brought it back to Halford's and the lads said they had seen it loads of times - that the 250W was buggy and sometimes deleted its maps.

They made a call to Garmin and I got a free swap to a 255W without quibble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I'm not very familiar with Garmin, only had a 255W for a few weeks, but I did come across this link.

http://www.mysatnav.ie/blog/garmin-nuvi-770-–-“can’t-unlock-maps”-solution/

While it's not listed for a 250W - it might still work?

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

i've been asked to look at someones nuvi 250w.

its only a few months old, owner claims he's not done anything to it, or to his knowledge no one else has, he'd be the type of guy who would not know aboout map updates/ hooking it up to a pc etc.

he claims that he switched it on one day and the touch screen calibration came up first, which he did.

it then attempted to load the maps, beeped twice and said "cannot unlock maps"

then the message "no detailedmaps found that support routing. the nuvi cannot be used without them"

no correct me if i'm wrong, but maps dont just dissapear? is he lying?

any advice?

This isssue is frequently caused by an inserted SD card. In some cases it can be resolved by browsing unto the unit from your PC and deleting a corrupted file. However, if it is within 1 year warranty bring back to supplier and look for a replacement

Advertisement