Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Was in an accident...help please!

Options
  • 08-11-2008 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭

Someone absolutely milled into the back of me on Thursday night. Was in traffic and he was way over the speed limit. Since the accident, my stomach, neck and back are absolutely killing me, but i feel terrible claiming lots off someone, i've never been one mad for "compo" or anything like that but i'm starting to get a bit worried it could be seious.

Doc just said its just the muscles but i'm afraid it'll wreck me a few years down the line. What would you all do? I'm thinking about going to the hospital on Monday if it's still at me.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Without meaning to be short - I think your solicitor has to be your first port of call. If you don't have one hire one ! Just in case you do have problems down the line he/she will make sure all the angles are covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Ah just claim, its the irish thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

its not now you'll feel it but 6 months down the road.....dont settle until you are confident you are back together and use the best solicitors going....go for damages plus costs and dont feel guilty. your life has been turned upside down and you need to be compensated and compensated well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Thanks for the quick replies, never had to deal with insurance companies before, just not too sure what i should do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Get a second medical opinion too, maybe even a third. If anything it'll give you peace of mind, also it'll help with what kind of treatment you might need and therefore what compensation may be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

same thing happened to my missus just before last christmas because it was a woman with kids in the car she let the whiplash thing slide.my missus was in bits hobbling around all winter.
    when i put in a claim for a new bumper she rang up whining
    the ould b***h never even asked now my wife was feeling!
    we're sorry now we diddn't take her to the cleaners

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

shaywest wrote: »
    same thing happened to my missus just before last christmas because it was a woman with kids in the car she let the whiplash thing slide.my missus was in bits hobbling around all winter.
    when i put in a claim for a new bumper she rang up whining
    the ould b***h never even asked now my wife was feeling!
    we're sorry now we diddn't take her to the cleaners

I have let things slide myself after been hit, felt sorry for the person etc, but you wonder if the tables were turned what they would... I'm sure the poor woman with kids would of taken you to the cleaners if things were reversed...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Someone absolutely milled into the back of me on Thursday night. Was in traffic and he was way over the speed limit. Since the accident, my stomach, neck and back are absolutely killing me, but i feel terrible claiming lots off someone, i've never been one mad for "compo" or anything like that but i'm starting to get a bit worried it could be seious.

Doc just said its just the muscles but i'm afraid it'll wreck me a few years down the line. What would you all do? I'm thinking about going to the hospital on Monday if it's still at me.

Thanks in advance!

no way graham, were you in the Evo??

kceire wrote: »
    no way graham, were you in the Evo??

Evo? I wish I had one and i'd be an awful lot more down than I am if one got ruined on me! No, was actually saqvin for a new car but don't have anywhere near enough to buy what I want yet so I said i'd just keep the Punto till it dies...made that decision on North Circular Road...come Navan Road that plan was made official! Poor Punto was killed.

The main reason I wasn't going to claim injury was because I didn't want to ruin his policy, but the more I think about it the more I don't care, He was traveling at about 50mph in a 50kph zone, and it was stop start traffic, what he was thinking I don't know. I thought people who bought 5 Series BMW's would of had a bit more sense.

If the back aint better in the next day or two I think I'll just claim personal injury, feck him.

And the best bit...when I got outta the car and asked what the hell he was at, his reply was "Jesus man I'm so sorry, I was just rubbin the dog and when I looked up, there you were, why were you even stopped?" To which I replied "Eh Do you not see that line of cars in front of what use to be my car?"

And the Guards didn't breatalise him!!! The idiot that hit me was in a 04 5 series, and I hit into a 06 A6. His insurance is covering the lot though.

Nightmare of an evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I would claim.

It's one thing claiming fraudelently or frivolously but when you are genuinely in fear of your health both now and further down the line it's a no brainer.

It's true that "claim" and "compo" have become dirty words in Ireland but if you are injured you are wholly justified in looking for money to cover your medical bills and compensation if you are out of work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

his reply was "Jesus man I'm so sorry, I was just rubbin the dog and when I looked up, there you were, why were you even stopped?"

Really! That f'er should be put off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

@OP, if you feel injured enough then you should but i would seek medical opinions a couple heck even offer to go to his doc if you want.
    Same thing happened to me this time last year, stopped at a red light when a woman plough'd into the back of my van, lucky for her none of the equipment in the back was damaged and the fact it was full seemed to stop me hitting the car infront!

Anyway, i had my foot on the break as i had only stopped was about to pull up the hand break when she hit. My ankle was very sore after with the jerk and my back was really sore, i was too concerned claiming for it from the insurance as the company insurance would be effected, and i felt sorry for her she was going to a funeral she claimed! But she kicked up a fuss about the price of the repairs. Now with my back sore alot i feel like i should have!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Evo? I wish I had one and i'd be an awful lot more down than I am if one got ruined on me! No, was actually saqvin for a new car but don't have anywhere near enough to buy what I want yet so I said i'd just keep the Punto till it dies...made that decision on North Circular Road...come Navan Road that plan was made official! Poor Punto was killed.

The main reason I wasn't going to claim injury was because I didn't want to ruin his policy, but the more I think about it the more I don't care, He was traveling at about 50mph in a 50kph zone, and it was stop start traffic, what he was thinking I don't know. I thought people who bought 5 Series BMW's would of had a bit more sense.

If the back aint better in the next day or two I think I'll just claim personal injury, feck him.

And the best bit...when I got outta the car and asked what the hell he was at, his reply was "Jesus man I'm so sorry, I was just rubbin the dog and when I looked up, there you were, why were you even stopped?" To which I replied "Eh Do you not see that line of cars in front of what use to be my car?"

And the Guards didn't breatalise him!!! The idiot that hit me was in a 04 5 series, and I hit into a 06 A6. His insurance is covering the lot though.

Nightmare of an evening

must be getting you mixed up with another graham LOL

sorry to hear, no matter what car your in.

glad your relatively ok though, as said above, its one thing claiming when you faking but if your genuine then you must be compensated.

you will need to attend physio for a few months and you will be tested by the other insurance medical team (my mate is going through the exact proceedure from a bike accident).

first point of call is to talk to a solicitor.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I thought people who bought 5 Series BMW's would of had a bit more sense.
    We're not all that bad! ;)

My neck is still sore (~30% of the time its very very sore) following a low speed incident in April. The physio kind of ended and I still have to do the exercises but its quite likely that it won't improve that much in the short to medium term! I know that what happened me was an accident and much as I'd love to I don't want to take Quinn to the cleaners. But I have spent a fair bit on physio and I want to be sure that I'm covered for all expenses in the future should they arise!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I was involved in an accident over a year ago some one ran into the back of me in traffic. Claimed as my neck and back were killing me. A year later waiting to go to court to get it sort out as to date ive spent over 2k out of my own pocket on physio. Oh and I dont feel slightly guilty about claiming now as the individual who ran into me was totally uncooperative with insurance co after the collision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He was traveling at about 50mph in a 50kph zone, and it was stop start traffic, what he was thinking I don't know.

Best of luck OP in sorting this :)

Can I ask in stop start traffic how you know for a fact he as going above 80kph in a 50kph zone?

Tbh, if you got hit at that speed, I'd imagine you and the other party would be far more badly injured.
    So what speed were they doing? Are you guessing?

I'm not trying to pick holes in your story. I hope it you get sorted, just wondering....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Be very careful and take your time deciding what to do. My sister was in an accident a few years ago and didn't want to claim for the same reasons as you have said. She is in agony with her neck and back and its too late to claim for her now. She has contiued doctor bills, physio, pills, creams, time of work etc etc...... Be very carefull and don't let anyone rush you. You can settle for the damage to the car and keep your right for personal injuries open.

micmclo wrote: »
    Best of luck OP in sorting this :)

Can I ask in stop start traffic how you know for a fact he as going above 80kph in a 50kph zone?

Tbh, if you got hit at that speed, I'd imagine you and the other party would be far more badly injured.
    So what speed were they doing? Are you guessing?

I'm not trying to pick holes in your story. I hope it you get sorted, just wondering....

Well i obviously cant tell you an exact speed beacuse I wasn't in his car, I looked in my mirror and saw him comin...very fast, of course it's a guess but he was deffinately over the speed limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

If you are not a serious way well dont SCREW somebody for a few quid.Also just to note the other person could be looking at this forum and watch what you are saying;)

tv3 wrote: »
    If you are not a serious way well dont SCREW somebody for a few quid.Also just to note the other person could be looking at this forum and watch what you are saying;)

When did i say i wasn't in a bad way? I said at the start of the thread that my stomach, neck and back were absolutely killing me. I came here for advise because I've never had to do anything like this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭illegalmidget

i work in insurance. your insurance company and his should have been notified straight away. people claim personal injury every day the only thing is it can last years for personal injury claims?
    i asume the garda were called to the scene when it happened?
    you should go to the hospital if your that worried.
    you can claim back for the doctor bill as long as you have kept the receipt.
    good luck! :rolleyes:

i work in insurance. your insurance company and his should have been notified straight away. people claim personal injury every day the only thing is it can last years for personal injury claims?
    i asume the garda were called to the scene when it happened?
    you should go to the hospital if your that worried.
    you can claim back for the doctor bill as long as you have kept the receipt.
    good luck! :rolleyes:
    Yeah I kept the receipt and that, if i'm still bad tomorrow i'll go hospital.

The Guards were there but only took a few things down.

Insurance companies have all been notified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

When did i say i wasn't in a bad way? I said at the start of the thread that my stomach, neck and back were absolutely killing me. I came here for advise because I've never had to do anything like this before.
    If you are the way you SAY you are you would of went to the hospital instead of getting advice to go or not:rolleyes:

Why tomorrow?

tv3 wrote: »
    If you are the way you SAY you are you would of went to the hospital instead of getting advice to go or not:rolleyes:

Why tomorrow?

Beacuse i went the doctor on friday and he said the Muscle pain shouldn't go away for about three days...so I said I'd give it three days before I went and got it checked out in the hospital, I don't want to rip off anybody, thats why I haven't ran to the hospital telling them I'm in all kinds of agony, My neck, back and stomach are all very sore but if its muscle pain then it should be ok by tomorrow.

Interrogation over yet?

*EDIT I wasn't asking advice on whether to go the hospital or not. Read the previous posts before trying to make me seem like i'm tryin to SCREW someone out of money

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

bikki wrote: »
    Ah just claim, its the irish thing to do.

i was in a car crash a few years back , it wasn't anyhting dramatic but the car i was in was rear ended , however we were at a roundabout and were waiting to go left so the car was at an angle , a driver then hit us and it was pretty sore, making a short story long here, all i wanted was not to be out of pocket as i had to get a few things done , i was told to get a solicitor and deal with it that way - i ended up with my fees plus compo which i wouldn't have gone looking for in the first place but they PIAB system meant it went down that way

OP , your right to have concerns for what will happen down the line (i hit my head off the roof and a filling got kocked out from that, but i didn't notice it for a few weeks after as other parts were worse off) , best thing is to go to physio etc and get it sorted , my back still plays up when the weather gets cold out at this time of year but thankfully it gets better each passing year

i was in a car crash a few years back , it wasn't anyhting dramatic but the car i was in was rear ended , however we were at a roundabout and were waiting to go left so the car was at an angle , a driver then hit us and it was pretty sore, making a short story long here, all i wanted was not to be out of pocket as i had to get a few things done , i was told to get a solicitor and deal with it that way - i ended up with my fees plus compo which i wouldn't have gone looking for in the first place but they PIAB system meant it went down that way

OP , your right to have concerns for what will happen down the line (i hit my head off the roof and a filling got kocked out from that, but i didn't notice it for a few weeks after as other parts were worse off) , best thing is to go to physio etc and get it sorted , my back still plays up when the weather gets cold out at this time of year but thankfully it gets better each passing year

Thanks for the helpful advise, it was people like you that i was looking for advise from because you went through it. I didn't make the thread to be made look like a hungry git as soon as I get a whiff of a claim

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Thanks for the helpful advise, it was people like you that i was looking for advise from because you went through it. I didn't make the thread to be made look like a hungry git as soon as I get a whiff of a claim

no worries , notify who you have to notify and then concentrate on getting better , why should you be out of pocket for someone who was rubbing there dog instead of keeping there eyes on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i'll prob get flamed for this but op if i was u i'd take him to the cleaners, what sort of a moron would rub and watch his dog instead of watchin the road in what u say was heavy traffic, that muppet has to get some sense drilled into him and a nice claim might just do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Claim won't come out of his pocket, it comes from the insurance company - which then results in higher premiums for the rest of us.

Claim for what you need, and feel no shame in taking every penny. Don't claim for what you don't need or to teach him a lesson, that's dishonest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

To echo some of the comments already made:

At the end of the day, it wasn't your fault. You got injured. We pay massively-inflated insurance premiums in this country because of stupid people like the person who ran into you not paying attention and it is your right to claim anything you are entitled to. That's why insurance exists. You won't be bankrupting anyone, it's the bogus or unnessecary claims which are pushing up premiums as much as anything else and you have a very genuine claim.

Go for it. Call a solicitor before it's too late.

Advertisement