Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's first Christmas tree spotted last night..

Options
  • 08-11-2008 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

In Degsy's Finglas South playground!..

Passing those new apartments on the Tolka Valley Road - Prospecthill and up on the third floor is a Christmas tree complete with flashing lights!.

:P

Anyone else?

(I'll take a photo tomorrow).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There's been one on Cardiffsbridge Road in finglas since Halloween!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Please please tell me this is a joke.

Well, I'm off to get ready for the St Paddy's parade. Cya's later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

There are appartments across the road from me in drumcondra and the top floor appartment has their tree in the window, complete with lights. Up since the 2nd week in october!!! MADNESS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If you thinks it's too early, then avoid the city for the next while. Lights are being switched on tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

WTF that's the earliest ever:mad:

• Advertisement

Yup, I think everyone's gonna be sick of xmas by mid December at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Skittles!

The building a cross the road from where I work have had the whole outside of the building decorated with Christmas lights since October 1st!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

Can a law not be introduced to not allow any shops, streets, shopping centres, houses etc to put up any Christmas decorations before the 8th of December??? That is just crazy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

robo wrote: »
    Can a law not be introduced to not allow any shops, streets, shopping centres, houses etc to put up any Christmas decorations before the 8th of December??? That is just crazy!!!

Write letters. I tried :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055405226

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The people representing Dublin traders (chamber of commerce?) are advocating the extra early start to try to help out the stores suffering from the recent drop in consumer spending. It seems their normal level of vast profit has been eaten into somewhat, and the children of these captains of industry might not get their new ponies or mini coopers this year as expected. Poor things.

So stop groaning and go out there, do your civic duty and spend spend spend. Britain needs you money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just back from a 40th birthday party tonight..

The DJ played Live Aid 'Do they know its Christmas' for his last song - he was roundly boo'd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

What time is the tree going on at?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

With the recession and all, you'd think that people would put them up on Christmas eve and down on Stephen's day, to save on electricity bills.

They're up in Liffey Valley too, the big massive tree is so depressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

O connell street is all set to look disgusting with its white light bauble ****. Nice one to whoever picked it.

It's awful that it's up this early. Even the last week of november/first week fo december would be one thing but this is crazy.

While I'm at it, can we PLEASE have the nice green and red garlands across the streets instead of cheapo nasty blue and pink "christmas" lights like last year? There was nothing festive or seasonal about them. I'd much rather have the old style green garland and red and white lights back. :mad:

:D:mad::D:mad::mad::D:mad::D <- seasonal smileys :P

The blue and pink stuff is awful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I've been doing my best since Halloween to avoid anywhere that has Christmas decorations up but it looks like this is becoming an impossibility. Was in my local Superquinn Saturday and they were playinhg Christmas songs, joked with the girl serving me it would make me think twice about coming in until Christmas. And then the feckers who recently moved in to the side of me had all their windows surrounded by Chrismtmas lights last night !
    Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas but not this early in the year. And they various businesses are saying it will encourage people to shop and spend early, I tell ya it's having the opposite affect on me !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Easter eggs will be in next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

the xmas tree in O'Connell St is impressive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Especially drove past it last night to give it the once over.
    It's the prettiest thing. Smartest tree (or representation of) I've ever seen in this city.
    O'Connell St. looking smarter than I've ever seen it. Even in the howling wind and rain. Job well done DCC.

Perhaps a few more brighter lights on the in-situ trees that make the square in front of the GPO.

Well I'll piss off moaning about christmas in December. All you xmasfiles will all be whinging then about being sick of it. Why don't you decorate your houses all year round if you love it so much.

Ooh Humberklog, next post of yours is your 1000th, better make it a good un. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

WindSock wrote: »

Ooh Humberklog, next post of yours is your 1000th, better make it a good un. :pac:

Oh yeah.. look at that... I'd best make it a good one....'Doh!
    Gotta wait now 'til 2000th to reveal my epiphany.

:D You finally have a 4 digit post count. Now I can start taking your opinions onboard. Welcome to the club :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

humberklog wrote: »
    Especially drove past it last night to give it the once over.
    It's the prettiest thing. Smartest tree (or representation of) I've ever seen in this city.
    O'Connell St. looking smarter than I've ever seen it. Even in the howling wind and rain. Job well done DCC.

Perhaps a few more brighter lights on the in-situ trees that make the square in front of the GPO.

Agreed it looks great, but just for the record, as far as I'm aware it's not DCC but the city's merchants in the form of Dublin City Business Association who are primarily responsible.

Apparently Eamon Ryan TD, Minister for Energy was invited to turn on the lights last year, which were brand new LED (low-energy) lights - however he declined it is understood on the basis that as a Green, being seen to turn on decorative lights maybe construed as hypocrisy. He wasn't asked this year - I wonder why :D

Jay D wrote: »
    the xmas tree in O'Connell St is impressive.

How long before the scumbags start breaking all the lights? I have a feeling it'll be destroyed long before xmas comes.

too much of a garda presence for that to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

dotsman wrote: »
    How long before the scumbags start breaking all the lights? I have a feeling it'll be destroyed long before xmas comes.

I'd think they'd be stolen, tbh. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Seriously? It's traditions that make christmas what it is

The tree looks crap during the day, ok, it's impressive at night but it's REALLY crappy in daytime.

What's wrong with a christmas tree that's actually a tree? Lights over the streets that are red/white and are decorating a nice green garland? What's wrong with christmas windows in shops being christmassy instead of "intruiging"?!

Please, lets have CHRISTMAS back instead of a post modern take on the festive season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i think they should put fake giant branches on the spike next year, and make the worlds largest christmas tree.

It'd be awesome :)

Please, lets have CHRISTMAS back instead of a post modern take on the festive season.

I agree. Candles on trees ftw, and not until later on in December.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

ODS wrote: »
    Agreed it looks great, but just for the record, as far as I'm aware it's not DCC but the city's merchants in the form of Dublin City Business Association who are primarily responsible.

Yip, the same crowd who are whinging about people going up North for their shopping and that are asking people to come into Dublin to support the local businesses in these harsh times, one of the reasons why they put the decorations up early.

They then go and get a tree from France.

Advertisement