Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's first Christmas tree spotted last night..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Avoca have had one of those trendy not-like-a-tree-but-a-tree yokes lit up outside for a few weeks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Seen this tree in the cold light of day this morning, not equipt with my camera :(

And it struck me, I think the PC brigade wins!..

Unlike previous years when we had a religious aspect to the tree, the nativity scane at the base. This year its got nothing like that.

Unlit at daylight its a big lump of cold white metal, and nothing 'christmasy' about it.

Where's our crib?.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Mairt wrote: »
    Unlike previous years when we had a religious aspect to the tree, the nativity scane at the base. This year its got nothing like that.

Unlit at daylight its a big lump of cold white metal, and nothing 'christmasy' about it.

Where's our crib?.

What's religion got to do with Christmas? :confused:
    It's a shopping festival isnt it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

deswalsh wrote: »
    What's religion got to do with Christmas? :confused:
    It's a shopping festival isnt it?

Nope it's religious. It's Santa's birthday apparently. That's what my 5year old says and she's a christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Please, lets have CHRISTMAS back instead of a post modern take on the festive season.
    I'm sure when Prince Albert put up a tree, it was seen as being 'post modern'. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The tree looks crap during the day, ok, it's impressive at night but it's REALLY crappy in daytime.
    OConnellStreetChristmasTree.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Seriously? It's traditions that make christmas what it is

The tree looks crap during the day, ok, it's impressive at night but it's REALLY crappy in daytime.

What's wrong with a christmas tree that's actually a tree? Lights over the streets that are red/white and are decorating a nice green garland? What's wrong with christmas windows in shops being christmassy instead of "intruiging"?!

Please, lets have CHRISTMAS back instead of a post modern take on the festive season.

Even after dark its not that impressive IMO.

Its still cold and lacks the feel and the atmosphere of Christmas.. During the day it looks like coils of barbed wire.

I'll try get it up on youtube later to show how it changes colour (like WFT, is THAT suppose to impress!).

(Large image)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I think it's nice :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 KingSitric

Its pretty awful and cheap looking. And that dreadful plastic advertisment wrapped round the base.
    I vote we bring back the real thing -the Christmas tree that Norway always offered us. Much more traditional and christmassy.

www.irishpeoplepower.blogspot.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

House on my estate have lights on their balcony for a week or two now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JimmyO

Don't suppose anyone knows when they start selling trees by the side of the road (the likes of Kilnamanagh and Rathfarnham Shopping Centres).

Have to organise one for work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Bwahahahaha I put up the christmas tree yesterday! hahahahahahaha a

:D

Oh yeah! First in the entire area to have the tree up! (I don't care, if christmas is going to be forced upon us ridiculously early, I'm going to accept it and enjoy it (cos I certainly can't beat it))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

JimmyO wrote: »
    Don't suppose anyone knows when they start selling trees by the side of the road (the likes of Kilnamanagh and Rathfarnham Shopping Centres).

Have to organise one for work!!

Dunno if it's near ya but the n2 where Joe Duffy Motors is has a truck selling real xmas trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Mines up since yesterday.....Ho Ho Ho, MERRY CHRISMAS!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've finished two christmas cakes so far. :)

Advertisement