Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another new modem from UPC

Options
  • 08-11-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

I just got a call from UPC, they are upgrading to new modems again !! they came mid summer & installed a scientific atlanta modem but now because of a new speed upgrade due in the near future they have to replace the modem again !!,...& this is the best bit,..he said they are giving me a free phone as well, they say the ordered too many & so they are just giving them away, he said I can use it as a normal phone or with their voip system or bin it,! what ever I want,.. anyone else ???

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sounds like they are rolling out DOCSIS 3 modems, sounds like 50mb/s is on its way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If it's a full CPE replacement program, that was an expensive ~6 months of use they got out of those SCIAT modems :)

T'will be interesting to see what they decide upon for the new modem(s)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

bk wrote: »
    Sounds like they are rolling out DOCSIS 3 modems, sounds like 50mb/s is on its way :D

Cue another barrage of complaints on here about how people are only getting 30Meg when they're paying for 50 and how crap UPC is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

352520609.png'=
    I think they need more than a new modem. This is my 20meg "ultra" connection (direct to modem). It's been a pile ****e for months now. I officially give up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

352520609.png'=
    I think they need more than a new modem. This is my 20meg "ultra" connection (direct to modem). It's been a pile ****e for months now. I officially give up...
    that is crap, my upc 20meg connection gives me an actual d/l speed of 1.9 ~2.8mbps via e/net cable & upto 900#1200kbs on wireless 30ft away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Virgin about to do same in UK.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/news/2008/11/07/Virgin-Unveils-Its-50Mbit-Cable-Modem/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

352520609.png'=

I think you have a problem as I get:

352873648.png

Now I can try it 5 times in a row and get different results. Also depends on how busy the speedtest.net server is at the time

This is through an ethernet link via Targa Powerline

Join Ireland Weather Network

thecivvie wrote: »
    I think you have a problem as I get:

352873648.png

Now I can try it 5 times in a row and get different results. Also depends on how busy the speedtest.net server is at the time

This is through an ethernet link via Targa Powerline

Are you trying to depress me?? I can get pretty good speeds early in the day but in the evening it goes to pot. Hopefully these new modems might help.. Any idea how quickly they are being rolled out? BTW, where are you based? I'm in the city centre and it seems to be a problem for quite some time now. Why do you use a server so far away?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I can get pretty good speeds early in the day but in the evening it goes to pot. Hopefully these new modems might help..

DOCSIS 3 modems should definitely help as they use channel bonding to enable much greater bandwidth.

However if you are in a highly congested area, it might only bring the speed up to 20 or 25mb/s when you are paying for a 50mb/s service.

But that would still be pretty good.

DOCSIS 3 modems should definitely help as they use channel bonding to enable much greater bandwidth.

However if you are in a highly congested area, it might only bring the speed up to 20 or 25mb/s when you are paying for a 50mb/s service.

But that would still be pretty good.

I'd be more than happy with that (of course I'll get greedy and start complaining about a crap 25 meg connection..) Thanks for the rely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I'm due to have a modem swop out from them tomorrow to replace a dodgy SA model - will be interesting to see do I get this new one!!! Anyone any ideas on brand/model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Kensington wrote: »
    I'm due to have a modem swop out from them tomorrow to replace a dodgy SA model - will be interesting to see do I get this new one!!! Anyone any ideas on brand/model?

likely contenders

http://connectedhome2go.com/2008/02/21/motorola-launches-docsis-30-cpe/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They will have to ditch the Analogue Channels soon then. Each 8MHz is either 10 Digital channels, 20Mbps to 45Mbps of contended shared modem users or one Analogue TV channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Are you trying to depress me?? I can get pretty good speeds early in the day but in the evening it goes to pot. Hopefully these new modems might help.. Any idea how quickly they are being rolled out? BTW, where are you based? I'm in the city centre and it seems to be a problem for quite some time now. Why do you use a server so far away?

I am in Galway which may explain why I get the speeds I do :) Dunno, it was the one I clicked one, but UPC seems to be routed through the Netherlands and back again

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

yeah i think they are, i always get a crap result when i select the dublin server but when i choose alkmaar i get 16 - 19 mbs

Advertisement