Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do companies have to issue receipts?

Options
  • 08-11-2008 2:58pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

There is a thread about the M50 toll over in motors but this is more from a consumer side of things so i'm postibg here. Are they required to issue a receipt if requested to do so? I've requested a receipt from them and they won't send one out?
    I don't have an account with them which they tell me i must have to get a receipt as i receive letters from them for times i have not being through the toll. There is no way they are getting my account details and taking money for times i have not being through the toll.
    What the law on this matter if their is one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

The short answer is no :o

"Issuing receipts
    In line with best practice, retailers normally issue receipts. The receipt issued to a consumer is generally accepted as the preferred “proof of purchase” option, in circumstances where a consumer needs to return the item.

While credit card receipts are also accepted as proof of purchase, not all purchases are made through credit cards. In addition, some consumers may not have credit cards.

Consumers should also be in a position to check prices of their purchases against the displayed prices, to ensure that no errors had been made, or they may wish to check if “special offers” were corectly charged. Consumers may also want to compare prices with those in other stores, by checking items against their receipts. A till receipt would be necessary for this.

While there is no legal obligation on retailers to issue receipts, consumers have the right to know the prices which they pay for products.

They also have rights of redress (under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980) in respect of faulty products and should be able to return these to the retailers without having to deal with obstacles such as trying to prove they had bought the items, if no receipt had been issued by the trader at the time of purchase.

In cases where cash transactions are involved,it would be unreasonable for a trader to seek proof of purchase in circumstances where no receipt had been issued. It is in both parties interests for traders to issue receipts."
    http://www.nca.ie/eng/Research_Zone/Consultation/Advertising/Draft_guidelines_on_price_discounts_part_8.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

thanks for that, you learn something new everyday.

The reason for my receipt request is as a company expense. I taught i was obilged to prove that i made the payment. Do i have to file my credit card statement in with my receipts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

I don't use the M50 or other tolls that often but I signed up for the PAYG option with the credit card and get a statment each month via email this should cover the business requirment for your company expences

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

kikel wrote: »
    Do i have to file my credit card statement in with my receipts

You can supply a copy of your credit card statement (or bank account if laser) in most expense claims. Just make sure to use a black marker to blank out any sensitive information

Advertisement