Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I becmone a primary school teacher from where i am...???

• 08-11-2008 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi, im in UCC at the moment in my first year.

Im doing a BA in English, French and Drama and Theatre Studies.
    How do I go from this course to primary teaching?

I know its a fairly commonly asked question but Id like a proper answer...

Thankoo XxX

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Hi,
    you would need to finish your degree and apply to a postgrad course. You will need Honours Irish and teaching experience to get in, in Ireland. If I were you I'd try and do some subbing days here and there throughout your degree, try and get some in right now while you're still in first year and the work load isn't too high. Its also a nice bit of extra money. Wait now..now that i think of it, if i were you i'd get some subbing days right now cause pretty soon, you won't get any, what with the cut-backs.
    When it comes to applying, get your application in early that year, usually about oct-dec for the following sept. Interviewing is pretty intense and lot of competition among postgrads for Primary, but saying that, with the right attitude and good experience, you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 foxyfitz

thanks a million... haha thats good news i tend to b good at interviews. great advice.

and btw, that is sooo weird im a Kate F aswel... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 schmulie

Hi Kate F

I'm wondering if you could help me... I completed my science degree at UCD follwed by a PGCE for primary school teaching in England and completed 2/3 of my NQT year in england before I decided to take off and travel for a few months... which has somehow turned into nearly 2 years. I still have travel plans but wish to return home next summer to find a primary post however I am a little unsure of myself and the process. I know I have to complete my probation year along with the Irish exam however i dont know where to start to look for information about this. The prospect of interviews terrifies me... I was wondering does the Irish system have a website for their schemes of work like the english QCA??? Any help and advice you can give me wud be much appreciated

thanking you in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

foxyfitz wrote: »
    Hi, im in UCC at the moment in my first year.

Im doing a BA in English, French and Drama and Theatre Studies.
    How do I go from this course to primary teaching?

I know its a fairly commonly asked question but Id like a proper answer...

Thankoo XxX

Try to make sure you get plenty of experience in between now and then and make sure your Irish is up to scratch, etc, as they are cutting back on the amount of places available so the standard of those they take in will be higher.

Don't be worrying too much about it though and enjoy first year!

schmulie wrote: »
    Hi Kate F

I'm wondering if you could help me... I completed my science degree at UCD follwed by a PGCE for primary school teaching in England and completed 2/3 of my NQT year in england before I decided to take off and travel for a few months... which has somehow turned into nearly 2 years. I still have travel plans but wish to return home next summer to find a primary post however I am a little unsure of myself and the process. I know I have to complete my probation year along with the Irish exam however i dont know where to start to look for information about this. The prospect of interviews terrifies me... I was wondering does the Irish system have a website for their schemes of work like the english QCA??? Any help and advice you can give me wud be much appreciated

thanking you in advance
    Hi,
    I'm actually doing my PGDE in Scotland and I'm not registering to do my probation year here, I'm returnung home. As far as I know, if you had of completed your probation year then you would only have to complete the Irish part of a probation year at home (once you've done the exam obviously) Don't worry about the interviews, the fact that you've already completed 2/3 of NQT will probably work in your favour. I'm going to be nervous beyond belief for my first interview, think thats normal.
    Might be worth having a read of this:
    http://www.into.ie/ROI/WhatsNew/NewsBriefs/TeachersQualifiedOutsidetheState/TeachersQualifiedOutsidetheState/

• Advertisement

Foxyfitz,
    I wouldn't be worrying too much about the in and outs of it just yet, so long as you get some sub teaching days in and really work on your Irish you're doing really good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I would drop out of your degree course and apply to Mary I or ST Pats. Why do a degree at all? just go straight in to either of the two. If you complete your degree (4 years) you will need to do an 18 month post grad on top of that.

murphym7 wrote: »
    I would drop out of your degree course and apply to Mary I or ST Pats. Why do a degree at all? just go straight in to either of the two. If you complete your degree (4 years) you will need to do an 18 month post grad on top of that.

I presume they didn't get the points for the B Ed?? Sounds like a person who knows what they want,don't think they'd be wasting 3 years on a different degree if they could go straight into the B Ed course now.
    Sorry like maybe I'm wrong but thought that was what was implied anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's definitely not a bad idea going the Arts degree then postgrad route. Many a person has done it that way. My own sister did not get the points and is finishing her degree and applying for the postgrad. (Although she's hugely worried that she wont get it or that it will disappear altogether given the state of the economy and the jobs situation.) So I would never advise someone to drop out of one degree in the vague hope of getting another!

foxyfitz wrote: »
    and btw, that is sooo weird im a Kate F aswel... :eek:
    ha thats kinda cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 lemon125

Do you need an honours degree to do the primary post grad? I have honours irish, the pass degree and also a diploma in another area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Yes, I'm afraid it has to be an Hons (Level 8) Degree for Primary.
    I just got accepted onto the Postgrad last Fri.

lemon125 wrote: »
    Do you need an honours degree to do the primary post grad? I have honours irish, the pass degree and also a diploma in another area?
    Hi,
    I don't think you need the honours degree, just double check on some college's websites and call them up before taking anyone' word for gospel on here because I don't think you do need it, technically, saying that, most applications probably have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 schmulie

lemon125 wrote: »

many do require an honours degree but there are definitely some that dont, i completed a PGCE with just my general science degree, but it is work checking out the different universities...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

KateF wrote: »
    Hi,
    I don't think you need the honours degree, just double check on some college's websites and call them up before taking anyone' word for gospel on here because I don't think you do need it, technically, saying that, most applications probably have it.

If you are planning on studying the PostGrad here in Ireland, you MUST have a Level 8 qualification, which IS an Honours Degree.
    It's NOT taking my word for it, I'm just after going through the process, & it IS what's needed here in Ireland.
    Prob not the case in the UK though.

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    If you are planning on studying the PostGrad here in Ireland, you MUST have a Level 8 qualification, which IS an Honours Degree.
    It's NOT taking my word for it, I'm just after going through the process, & it IS what's needed here in Ireland.
    Prob not the case in the UK though.
    Jeez calm down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maxpower0111

A pass degree is still a level 8 degree, its a degree from a university. a diploma would be a level 7 degree, my friend did the HDip and got in with a "PASS" dergee....

If you look at http://educationposts.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12238 you will see others saying the same as me!

educationposts.ie is very good site for your reference.

Advertisement