Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contractor dispute, feed back please.

• 08-11-2008 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

We have a minor roll in a large construction poject in town.

We are the supplier of a fire safety system.

Now we are \ I am in dispute with the Main contract as they require us to co-ordinate our service with the other services in the building.
    I however do not see this as part of our brief.

Am I right in thinking that this well know main contract is just trying to unload the work on to us?

how ever because of the tight nature of the services with in the building, if we where to co-ordinate our service it would comprise the system.

My gut feeling is it is time to through the toy's out of the pram and ask the fire consultant to get involved / take responciblity.

Clearly my company is just after a quiet life / couldn't give a crap, so I will have to take heat on all side if I do this.

Advice welcome.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We have a minor roll in a large construction poject in town.

We are the supplier of a fire safety system.

Now we are \ I am in dispute with the Main contract as they require us to co-ordinate our service with the other services in the building.
    I however do not see this as part of our brief.

Am I right in thinking that this well know main contract is just trying to unload the work on to us?

how ever because of the tight nature of the services with in the building, if we where to co-ordinate our service it would comprise the system.

My gut feeling is it is time to through the toy's out of the pram and ask the fire consultant to get involved / take responciblity.

Clearly my company is just after a quiet life / couldn't give a crap, so I will have to take heat on all side if I do this.

Advice welcome.

what were you asked to quote for??

what did you quote for?? was it detailed...

obviously you can increase your price if extra work is encrued...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Usually the mechanical contractor is responsible for co-ordinating the services, and you have to roll in with this - as in let him do the co-ordinating which you fit into.
    The design team mechanical and electrical services consultant on the project should have identified on the project specification who takes the lead for the co-ordination, however, it is still the main contractor's responsibility to ensure that co-ordination actually happens.
    So, ask the M&E design consultant the direct question (even if you are domestic to the main).
    The Fire Safety consultant does not take any role in co-ordinating site issues.
    Keep the toys in the Pram!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭von Neumann

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what were you asked to quote for??

We quoted to the mechanical consultant but the orginal spec has been superceded by other agreements.
    what did you quote for?? was it detailed...

The scope of the quote in general would have covered, design, supply and installition of a purposed build system.
    obviously you can increase your price if extra work is encrued...

Ironically, for once cost is not my princple concern. My concern is that due to a bligerant Main mechanical contract that it simply won't be possible to install a system that will preform.

Politically there would be little appitite as this contractor is a significant sorce of work for my company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭von Neumann

gman2k wrote: »
    Usually the mechanical contractor is responsible for co-ordinating the services, and you have to roll in with this - as in let him do the co-ordinating which you fit into.
    The design team mechanical and electrical services consultant on the project should have identified on the project specification who takes the lead for the co-ordination, however, it is still the main contractor's responsibility to ensure that co-ordination actually happens.
    So, ask the M&E design consultant the direct question (even if you are domestic to the main).

I'd agree with you on all of the above, but the co-ordination which the main contractor is doing is make the system a waiste of time.
    We have attempt where ever possible to faciliate this co-ordination, But where a clash is unavoidable I would expect the fire system to that priority.
    This is the exact opposite of what is happening now.

To be honest there has been some very short practice involved in this project.
    For example we where not given or contract until all other services where in place. This was clearly dilerably done to simplify the main contactor job.
    gman2k wrote: »
    The Fire Safety consultant does not take any role in co-ordinating site issues.
    Keep the toys in the Pram!

I'd agree again here, to be honest the less involvement the Fire consultant has the easier our life are in general. But the design has been pushed to the point where I have little or no confidence in it ablity to preform.
    We are relied on by the fire consultant to prove the system will work.
    I feel that I should inform the Fire consultant of this as a final recourse.

Thanks all for the feed back so far.

Advertisement