Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiat Eco:Drive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That is clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Very cool.

Does it show how long since you last broke down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

That is very cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,926 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Very cool.

Does it show how long since you last broke down?

My odometer shows that, seeing as my current and previous Fiat never broke down...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"Powered by Microsoft" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

kbannon wrote: »
    "Powered by Microsoft" :rolleyes:

Oh lord.

"Windows has detected a problem with the braking system and shut it down"
    "If you were in the middle of braking then any braking you have done will be lost"

[click here to re-install the braking program]

...and then the windscreen completely goes blue!

SteveC wrote: »
    Oh lord.

"Windows has detected a problem with the braking system and shut it down"
    "If you were in the middle of braking then any braking you have done will be lost"

[click here to re-install the braking program]

The car electronics/control are still done by Magnetti Marelli. So don't worry... or do, horribly, as they're possibly worse!

MYOB wrote: »
    My odometer shows that, seeing as my current and previous Fiat never broke down...

Ah just having a dig.

A woman recently broke down outside my house at home in Cork lately on a Sunday morning in a Fiat Panda. Big end bearing collapsed.

The worst bit was when she came in to the house while waiting for the tow truck, introduced herself as a telemarketer and tried to give us the hard sell on some bloody phone deal she was hawking :mad::mad:. Some people eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Ah just having a dig.

A woman recently broke down outside my house at home in Cork lately on a Sunday morning in a Fiat Panda. Big end bearing collapsed.

The worst bit was when she came in to the house while waiting for the tow truck, introduced herself as a telemarketer and tried to give us the hard sell on some bloody phone deal she was hawking :mad::mad:. Some people eh?

This is the type of sh1te you'd expect to hear from a Dublin taxi driver, not someone who claims to be a petrolhead.

We've had a Punto Mk2 in the family now for three years and it has always fulfilled it's brief. It's easy to maintain, cheap to run and quite spacious for a supermini. Bar maybe a few niggly faults like the windscreen wiper mechanism, I don't remember it ever going wrong during our ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm only back from a week driving in Sicily in a Grande Punto. I wanted to hate the car, but it was actually quite good!

VolvoMan wrote: »
    This is the type of sh1te you'd expect to hear from a Dublin taxi driver, not someone who claims to be a petrolhead.

Again, I was having a dig. Aspiring to buying an Alfa as soon as I can in fact.

I'll make sure to put sarcasm tags on my post in future.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ok, I've reversed your ban.........make proper use of boards.ie as a resource etc.
    VolvoMan wrote: »
    Thin ice dude, thin ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Great to see the sense of humour displayed by some here:rolleyes:!

Anyway, the first, and only thing I want to know about eco drive is how to turn the damm thing off.

I hate all this PC nannying, but I understand why FIAT are doing this, and if it shuts up ecomentalists, then it has to be welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

E92 wrote: »

Anyway, the first, and only thing I want to know about eco drive is how to turn the damm thing off.

I hate all this PC nannying, but I understand why FIAT are doing this, and if it shuts up ecomentalists, then it has to be welcomed.

You don't turn it off. The car doesn't adapt. It analyses your driving so that you can see where you can change if you want to.

ninty9er wrote: »
    You don't turn it off. The car doesn't adapt. It analyses your driving so that you can see where you can change if you want to.

My bad!

I just assumed by the title it was some sort of electronic nanny, and didn't bother with the rest.

I actually bothered to look at the website, and I must say it's an excellent idea, but I don't think anyone who claims to be a petrolhead would ever bother their arse using it(certainly I have better things to be doing than pretending that I give a sh!t about my carbon footprint).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

E92 wrote: »

It is relatively hard to differentiate sarcasm from being serious on an internet forum as it is usually told apart by the tone of one's voice.;)

Ah just having a dig.

Very, very rare to see a Panda entirely failed though - that kind of failure is just as if not more likely to happen to any other car of the same kind.

Biggest problem the car has is the gasket-hungry 1.2 8v FIRE engine in some petrol models - and these are rare in Ireland, most are the far more stable 1.1 8v FIRE or the 1.4 16v StarJet; as well as the 1.3 JTDm diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

MYOB wrote: »
    Very, very rare to see a Panda entirely failed though - that kind of failure is just as if not more likely to happen to any other car of the same kind.
    Maybe it didn't....he did say she was a telemarketer:D:D

I was actually highly tempted to take a picture of the car on the back of the flatbed but it seemed a bit insensitive.

• Advertisement

If times have got bad enough that you need to 'break down' your car and have tow truck to hand to make a sale... well, its entirely possible the way things are going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Drive a Prius and you get all this information in real time displayed on the cars onboard computer screen.

Any one who drives a Prius for a week will learn how to drive ANY CAR much more economically if they are prepared to learn from the graphics.

Anyway well done to Fiat but a bit cumbersome and a lot of work required from the driver.

Also ....wouldn't like to be trying to find a usb port on an older Fiat.... I better go and buy a new shiny one.

biggus wrote: »
    Drive a Prius and you get all this information in real time displayed on the cars onboard computer screen.

Any one who drives a Prius for a week will learn how to drive ANY CAR much more economically if they are prepared to learn from the graphics.
    But that would involve having to drive a Prius! Why would anyone who wants to drive, drive a Prius?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

It is true though, if this technology hadn't been hi-jacked by the eco-mentalists it could just as easily be adapted to give you cool F1-style telemetry for your daily commute, showing where you could make up time on the bends and stuff like that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

kbannon wrote: »
    But that would involve having to drive a Prius! Why would anyone who wants to drive, drive a Prius?

A real motoring enthuiast might want to drive one to see how advanced engineering could get more efficiency out of a more and more precious gallon of fuel.

For a Mod to reply with an answer like that shows a certain lack of .......... ?

If you have never driven a current model Pruis then maybe you should,

try one,

before you pass judgement.

As part of collection of cars the Pruis stands up well to much more expensive and exotic machinery, in short its more advanced better engineered, incredibly light and strong and hugely advanced for something designed in 01/02.

Reply appreciated after you've actually driven one !!

As part of collection of cars the Pruis stands up well to much more expensive and exotic machinery, in short its more advanced better engineered, incredibly light and strong and hugely advanced for something designed in 01/02.

Not to mention boring and ugly as hell.

A real motoring enthuiast might want to drive one to see how advanced engineering could get more efficiency out of a more and more precious gallon of fuel.

For a Mod to reply with an answer like that shows a certain lack of .......... ?

If you have never driven a current model Pruis then maybe you should,

try one,

before you pass judgement.

Reply appreciated after you've actually driven one !!
    What has me being a mod got to do with my opinion? Am I not allowed have an opinion or am I just not allowed one when it disputes yours?
    I think the Prius is a great marketing ploy but an absolutely crap car! I have driven one and although it was an interesting experience, I would not consider sitting in a Prius driving (no more than I would in several other cars (search for my review of a hire 2008 Avensis for example)). Furthermore, it seems to transform anyone (and this is not a South Park based opinion) who owns one into a knob!
    As for it standing up to well against more expensive & exotic machinery - in what way does it stand up to them? Its not on looks or driving pleasure. Are you referring to fuel economy and the saving the planet speil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

ned78 wrote: »
    I'm only back from a week driving in Sicily in a Grande Punto. I wanted to hate the car, but it was actually quite good!

I usually get threatened with my life when I state that the Grande Punto is good. The 1.3 diesel in it makes for a very good car in it's price range.

The Prius has been shown on several occasions to be poorer than comparable diesels even though theoretically it is supposed to be as much as 10-15 mpg more efficient.

Actually the Sunday Times tested one against a 520d and they found that even though the 520d is a big executive non-hybrid saloon with 177 bhp while the Smug(Prius) is a small 1.5 hybrid, the 520d is actually a more efficient car than the Prius in a test that was 40% urban driving(a place where hybrids are supposed to excel), 40% back roads(where all those gizmos are supposed to help with the old mpg for a hybrid again) and 20% motorway(where the Sunday Times noted they had to hold back the 520d because the Prius is so slow).

And diesels won't have batteries that were shipped around the world either that are very polluting to manufacture and to dispose of at the end of the car's useful working life.

I've never liked diesel, and I still don't but I'd have one anyday over a Toyota Smug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

ok, ok, I know it's an old topic but why start another one with the same tittle?

so, does anyone use this EcoDrive in their Fiats?
    I recorded my one month's driving and I was a little bit shocked to see that according the EcoDrive I was doing quite badly. I never though I was a bad driver but this thing said that my EcoIndex was only around 50points out of 100. The biggest downfalls: gear change followed by poor acceration. I used to change the gear at around 3k rpms and EcoDrive suggested to do it at 1800rpms?! and also to employ engine breaking more. I tried to apply this granny style of driving for a week or so, my pasengers would ask "is something wrong with the car?" and I'd say "it's EcoDrive!" lol, but my EcoIndex went up to 61points :) so there's still loads of room for improvement!

Can anyone share their EcoDrive experience here? would be very interesting to hear :)

Edit: it's 1.4 petrol fiat 500 that i drive

j@utis wrote: »
    ok, ok, I know it's an old topic but why start another one with the same tittle?
    because its not considered good practice.
    Start a new thread as the rule applies to all!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement